Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rear mount turbo build

Rear mount turbo build

So this thread is a "continuation " of my procharger build thread here I figured someone would never find it if they Googled read mount for our cars so I made a new post :

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

That thread is the basic build process up to the point where I was tired of procharger problems and wanted to graduate to turbo problems.

Anyways, the plan is to remove the fuel tank and mount the turbo where the fuel tank was. Fuel cell in the back. I have eccentric routed in my head and I'm ****ing stoked to get it done. It's just a slow process.

started my battery relocate. Have to make a couple more grounds and I should be a set there

Reason I went with the relocate is because I wanted my vented catch can setup to bolt down like the battery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I started to figure out what I'm doing with my fuel setup. I'm making the move to a return fuel system, but for now I'll use what I have to get everything going.

I decided to use the filler cap as my fuel hat also, so I drilled some holes for the feed and y into a single 8an. I'm going to have someone weld angle stock piece to the filler cap to mount the pumps on.
    along with a mini baffle around the pumps.

I have allot of parts in, pretty much all of my stainless needed, got some factory manifolds that I'm going to clean up and ceramic coat. Big ol 4" down pipe stainless. V bands etc etc.

Also got a massive trans cooler and an hoses for that as well

Very nice!
    Looking forward to progress updates.
    I remember there being a rear mount turbo kit for 4th gen Camaro and firebird. Don't think it became very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    Very nice!
    Looking forward to progress updates.
    I remember there being a rear mount turbo kit for 4th gen Camaro and firebird. Don't think it became very popular.
    thanks! Yea, I think because people were going about it wrong, from my knowledge of months of rear mount research, the key is to keep the heat in as much as possible/ keep velocity up I'm going to wrap the crap out of my pre turbo piping going down to a single 2.5" pipe, factory manifolds, paired with more gear should bring the lag down quite a bit.

Not to mention I called comp and matched my setup to this turbo, so I'm excited to see how it comes out

This is great. It's nice to see folks still interested in Modding this platform!
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Awesome man, looking forward to see the progress!
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Curious what she’ll make and how quick she’ll serve it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I understand how turbos work, but I'm certainly not an expert. Wouldn't a 4" downpipe lose some exhaust velocity and increase turbo lag?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I understand how turbos work, but I'm certainly not an expert. Wouldn't a 4" downpipe lose some exhaust velocity and increase turbo lag?
    Turbos like pressure before the turbo to help spool. (but not to much). You want as little back pressure AFTER the turbo as possible, which will decrease lag. If I could run no downpipe I would lol

What's the plan for the inlet side?
    I believe that the f body setup had the air filter under the car and water was a concern/ issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    What's the plan for the inlet side?
    I believe that the f body setup had the air filter under the car and water was a concern/ issue.
    Going to bring it into the trunk lol. Probably have a big ol filter next to the fuel cell. At first I was wanting to mount the turbo in the trunk, but I didn't like the hotside routing

Thanks everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Curious what she’ll make and how quick she’ll serve it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and me both! My eventual goal is 800-1000whp. (also what the turbo guy sized me up for) But for now Ill be happy with north of 600. With the stall / gear combo should combat lag decently

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    What stall and gears are you looking at? and what size Turbo is that?
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    What stall and gears are you looking at? and what size Turbo is that?
    ~3800 -4000 stall, I currently have some 3.73.but I want to swap them out for some 3.55s. I have a 3.27 set in my garage but that may be over kill with a 28" tall tire. Its staying a street car so we will see. Turbo is a 7475 CT43 billet. With a .96ar t4.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by minimarine09 View Post
    ~3800 -4000 stall, I currently have some 3.73.but I want to swap them out for some 3.55s. I have a 3.27 set in my garage but that may be over kill with a 28" tall tire. Its staying a street car so we will see. Turbo is a 7475 CT43 billet. With a .96ar t4.

I would look at a stall in the range of 3500-3800 , for gears you want a tall gear (numerically low) ideally a 3.08 or so (3.55) is too much gear for a Turbo Marauder.

I can tell you you will be very unhappy with a Turbo that big on a 4.6L mod motor you need to look a 66mm Turbo with a .72ar housing , I would give Precision Turbo a call and go over your build with tech support they are very helpful and will tell you what will work and what will be a nightmare believe me ive dealt with them since the early 90s.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information