Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Ernie

Turbo Ernie

A while back, I met another MM owner in my neighborhood, silver, and I have since forgotten the year/model number. Nice guy, a real gentleman, with plans to build his MM with turbocharging. We lost contact for a while, until he called me last night. His kit arrived, and he's going to install it this week, and try to make it to our chicken run on the 15th.

I stopped by his garage on the way home from work today and we talked about it. I'm not up to speed on turbocharging, but I get the general theory. This kit looks complete, but you won't know that until you install it. He said it was under 5K, and it is a kit made specifically for a Marauder.

He has a screen name here, Turbo Ernie, anyone want to guess his name?

I hope he checks in here and keeps us up to date with his build, and performance. If so, he may be the first turbocharged Marauder we will hear from. Frankly, I can't wait. The variety will be delicious.

There is a Marauder Turbocharger kit out there, sold by atleast 3 different suppliers for very different prices (for example, Racer Walsh, http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/0304MARAUDER has the most expensive) but I saw it as low as 4300 or 4100 IIRC...

I hope he makes it to the Chicken Run. Turbocharging is how I would like to do it if I had the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider90
    There is a Marauder Turbocharger kit out there, sold by atleast 3 different suppliers for very different prices (for example, Racer Walsh, http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/0304MARAUDER has the most expensive) but I saw it as low as 4300 or 4100 IIRC...

I hope he makes it to the Chicken Run. Turbocharging is how I would like to do it if I had the money.
    PTK regulates the price of their kits pretty closely.... The site you are talking about for $4100 (forced induction concepts I think) or so was a very old price they had. Trust me, I called about it.

I am very good friends with the owner of Racer Walsh. The price he is asking is the price from PTK without reflecting the current sale price on PTK's website. I know his profit margin on these kits. Trust me. You will not buy a kit for $4100 made by that company unless you eliminate many things from the kit.

IMO, Racer Walsh's Turbo kit looks ugly
    Ignorance is Bliss. I hope you're enjoying it.

TRILOGY № 86 - 13.5PSI
    "Lidio-Tuned" : 386.5RWHP 426.9RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by blackf0rk
    Somehow I just knew that kicking up the chat on turbocharging would bring out the best in us. LOL, gotta love this here information superhighway, any second now, another hit and run...

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Ernie! Nice talking to you today. Looking forward to hearing all about your project!

Quote Originally Posted by blackf0rk
    That is a 'Pro Turbo Kit' kit....

There is only one company that makes turbo 'KITS' for the Marauder..........

Well, I'm down in my garage dumping my intercooler/coolant project, when who stops by with his pristine Cobra 'vert, but Ernie. What a sweet ride, this drop-top in white is awesome. We talk some more, his Marauder project is the PTK kit, bought directly from PTK, under 4800 bucks. There was a frustrating wait time of several months, but this can be expected when you're dealing with the "first" in anything. Ernie's still waiting on fuel injector retainers, but his project should take off this week. If he does this as well as he's built his Cobra, this will be one bad-azzed Marauder I wouldn't want to tangle with, street, or, strip.

Ernie again promised to check in here, and I 'fessed up about starting this thread too, so, turn it on, Ernie! Once he gets his e-mail addy and password conflicts ironed out, I expect we'll have one more MM owner who really knows his stuff helping us out here. BTW, I also found out who's been laying tracks in front of my house and doing low altitude "fly-bys" in the dark of night...

Dayum...It never ceases to amaze me how much owner talent and skill is drawn to this board, I think I've met Zack's lost brother!

MikesMerc Guest
    I think Turbo charging the MM is a great idea.

Most kits today have worked out a lot of the bugs that plagued "bolt on" kits of the past. In addition, the monsterous torque that turbos produce is something us "big car" guys need. Turbos are more difficult to install due to the plumbing and under hood heat issues, but, if done right, a turbo kit can be just the ticket.

Welcome aboard Ernie. I'll be looking foward to updates.

How does the kit address the compression ratio of the engine? From what I've read in the past 8.5-1 is best for turbo charging.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay
    How does the kit address the compression ratio of the engine? From what I've read in the past 8.5-1 is best for turbo charging.
    It's my understanding from my brief discussions, that the kit comes configured for 6-8 pounds of boost, and safe on a bone stock engine. Of course, one should remember that every method, or, style of adding power diminishes longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    "Turbo" sure is a funny name for a mother to give to her son.

Talking Do I amuse you?

Do you think it may have had anything to do with the Delivery?
    Bradley G
    Quote Originally Posted by martyo
    "Turbo" sure is a funny name for a mother to give to her son.
    Last edited by Bradley G; 05-09-2005 at 04:09 AM.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

...Treading lightly.....

I looked at the "output" of the turbo kit, "Dyno Tested at 371 Horse Power and 471 Rear Wheel Torque at 7 psi of boost", and have a couple of questions.

The first is how/why does the turbo build the huge torque number? Second is it low down torque or up higher in the rpm range?

jeremy
    Last edited by jdando; 05-09-2005 at 06:05 AM. Reason: grammer

MikesMerc Guest
    I can give you some "generalizations" regarding turbo power production based on my research (back when I was considering a turbo for my mustang).

In general, torque production will follow the original TQ curve of the stock engine (the "shape" of the curve will be similar which means power will be produced in approximately the same areas of the rpm range...but higher with the turbo). Do to "spool" up, your not going to see huge TQ production on the low end of the rpm range....though it will still see a nice improvement over stock.

The real secret to the turbo is using exhaust gasses to turn the impellor, rather than using a belt drive ala supercharger. What some folks fail to remember is that belt driven superchargers comsume a big chunk of power from the motor due to parasitic losses (the effort needed to turn the crank with the supercharger belt on). So, when tq/hp is measure with a blower, its always "net"...the power added by forced induction less the power consumed by running the blower.

Turbos are different. Using the exhaust gasses to turn the compressor does not result in parasitic power loss. Accordingly, this often results in bigger net power production over superchargers at similar boost.

In addition, depending on how the waste gate is configured, the size of the turbo, and a few other factors, "spool up" can be contained which also results in massive TQ pick up in the lower to mid range.

Bottom line...the lack of parasitic power loss and turbo spool up configuration accounts for the huge power (TQ) turbos can make.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 05-09-2005 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information