Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Charger - 425 HP and $30 Grand

Dodge Charger - 425 HP and $30 Grand

I hate the styling compared to our MM's, but the goodies they include for the price are impressive. I see they copied our blacked out lights and the '04 MM color selections, among other things. We have to spend $5 to 10 grand more (assuming you paid a comparable $30K for your MM) to get many of the same features. I'll never part with my MM, but sometimes FLM really pisses me off with their missed opportunities to trounce the competition.

Norm

"The Dodge Charger SRT8, with its 425 horsepower (420 lb-ft) 6.1 liter Hemi, does 0-60 in five seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the mid-16s, and 60-0 braking in about 110 feet. It uses specially tuned dampers, spring rates, bushings, and anti-sway bars, a half-inch lower ride height, a retuned electronic stability program, and special 20 inch wheels with Goodyear Supercar F1 three-season tires (245/45/20 in the front, and 255/45/20 in the rear). The Charger SRT8 also has Brembo calipers and vented rotors (360 x 32mm discs up front, with 350 x 26mm in the rear). Styling changes include a revised front and rear fascias that helps cool the brakes and reduce lift, a hood scoop, a spoiler, and an SRT badge in the blacked-out grille; it's in silver, black, and red. The interior has grippy seats, a special steering wheel trim, dark-faced gauges, and an LED display for oil temperature or pressure and tire pressure. The differential and axles have also been upgraded."

The Dodge Charger SRT8, with its 425 horsepower (420 lb-ft) 6.1 liter Hemi, does 0-60 in five seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the mid-16s, and 60-0 braking in about 110 feet. It uses specially tuned dampers, spring rates, bushings, and anti-sway bars, a half-inch lower ride height, a retuned electronic stability program, and special 20 inch wheels with Goodyear Supercar F1 three-season tires (245/45/20 in the front, and 255/45/20 in the rear). The Charger SRT8 also has Brembo calipers and vented rotors (360 x 32mm discs up front, with 350 x 26mm in the rear). Styling changes include a revised front and rear fascias that helps cool the brakes and reduce lift, a hood scoop, a spoiler, and an SRT badge in the blacked-out grille; it's in silver, black, and red. The interior has grippy seats, a special steering wheel trim, dark-faced gauges, and an LED display for oil temperature or pressure and tire pressure. The differential and axles have also been upgraded.

This is truly Sahweeeeet! I saw it in red but this black looks really good..

I wouldn't feel so upset about it. At the time when the Marauder was being made the econmoy wasn't in the market for a RWD V8 super machine. Of course, all of US did, but GM, FORD and DODGE don't see US as the majority.

Now that they've advertised right, and see that people are coming around for the beefier cars, slowly they'll start to make 'em. Dodge is just one of them.

Look at it this way - how do you think all of the Dodge Stratus people think to hear that Dodge is making the Charger? Do you think they feel kind of like us? But you say, "They cold go buy a charger then!" True, but they'd probably say to us, "Go buy a mustang"

Yes, I know - the Mustang isn't exactly big (size-wize) AND powerful, and that's what the Charger seems to have. But look on the bright side - Install a Trilogy, Vortec, Procharger whetever and you'll kill 'em.

So would you rather leave your nice MM behind and spend another 30,000 for a 10sec 0-60 or spend 6,000 for a Supercharger kit and toast 'em all? I'd say we're in the drivers seat!
    Ignorance is Bliss. I hope you're enjoying it.

TRILOGY № 86 - 13.5PSI
    "Lidio-Tuned" : 386.5RWHP 426.9RWTQ

Price for SRT-8 is $37,000 not $30,000.

2004 BLACK MERCURY MARAUDER
    SCT
    JLT Cold Air Induction
    PHP Intake Spacer
    Cobra Ported Manifolds
    Flowmaster 50's
    Magnaflow X-Pipe
    Stallion TC
    4:10's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Rear sway bar

1969 GREEN MACH I MUSTANG GT
    351 Windsor
    Shelby Cam
    Shelby Tri-Y headers
    Ported and polished heads
    10.5:1 Domed pistons/rods
    Balanced and blue-printed
    Offenhauser Intake
    NOS plummed under intake (8 fuel injectors, 8 NOS injectors)
    Art Carr TC
    Tranny shift kit
    Dual ignition with MSD
    3:90 Posi rear end
    Bought car when I was 16 and still have it

Quote Originally Posted by Directedby
    Price for SRT-8 is $37,000 not $30,000.
    Sorry. I tried to find the price and the one they listed was $29,900 something, and I assumed that was for this guy. That must have been the Daytona model then. (?)

I agree about the S/C option on our cars, but unfortunately here in the PRK that isn't an option. Neither is an exhaust upgrade.

If I had to do it again right now I would still get my MM. Mine was $27K out the door with taxes and all, and with all of my mods it still works out to only $33K for a great car.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar
    I hate the styling compared to our MM's, but the goodies they include for the price are impressive. I see they copied our blacked out lights and the '04 MM color selections, among other things. We have to spend $5 to 10 grand more (assuming you paid a comparable $30K for your MM) to get many of the same features. I'll never part with my MM, but sometimes FLM really pisses me off with their missed opportunities to trounce the competition.

Norm

"The Dodge Charger SRT8, with its 425 horsepower (420 lb-ft) 6.1 liter Hemi, does 0-60 in five seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the mid-16s, and 60-0 braking in about 110 feet. It uses specially tuned dampers, spring rates, bushings, and anti-sway bars, a half-inch lower ride height, a retuned electronic stability program, and special 20 inch wheels with Goodyear Supercar F1 three-season tires (245/45/20 in the front, and 255/45/20 in the rear). The Charger SRT8 also has Brembo calipers and vented rotors (360 x 32mm discs up front, with 350 x 26mm in the rear). Styling changes include a revised front and rear fascias that helps cool the brakes and reduce lift, a hood scoop, a spoiler, and an SRT badge in the blacked-out grille; it's in silver, black, and red. The interior has grippy seats, a special steering wheel trim, dark-faced gauges, and an LED display for oil temperature or pressure and tire pressure. The differential and axles have also been upgraded."
    They are also coming out with the NEW Dodge Challenger (two-door)SRT-8
    which will give the new Mustang and GTO a run for their money!

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

MI2QWK4U Guest
    I was looking at a new charger at the dodge dealership while making my latest transportation aquisition. First off the new Charger is one hot car, period. It will definitly replace the Impala when its lease is up next year. The styling and looks are only the beginning. The interior is more spacious than even the Marauder and has a slightly european flair. My friend is one of the sales managers there and he was mentioning that 40% of the Charger is straight from Mercedes engineering. The loaded up one I looked at and sat in was 33K. It makes the Marauder look spartan in comparison.
    I hate to say it, but for as much as I used to dislike dodge/chrysler, some of their new offerings are HOT. Ford and Chevy are in serious trouble. What do either of them have to offer for a sleek, solid, full size family sedan? A crown vic, five hundred? or an impala, malibu? please...While I dont like the 300C, the Charger is smoking hot. Cant wait to add a shiney new black Charger to my collection.

Hot.....

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Press Release

Auburn Hills-When Dodge unveiled the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger into its lineup, performance-car aficionados had a lot to celebrate. The party gets kicked up a notch with the introduction of the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8.

With its infusion of Street and Racing Technology (SRT) DNA, the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 provides exactly what performance enthusiasts want in their American muscle sedan: more power, world-class ride and handling, benchmark braking, functional and aggressive-looking exterior enhancements and a race-inspired interior.

"The all-new Dodge Charger embodies all of the key attributes of the Dodge brand - bold, powerful, street-smart and full of life," said Darryl Jackson, Vice President, Dodge Marketing, Chrysler Group. "The all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 builds on the Dodge formula. It starts with a 425-horsepower 6.1-liter HEMI® engine and continues with a powerful dose of renowned Street and Racing Technology performance for a tremendous performance-per-dollar value story."

During the heyday of the original Dodge Charger, performance was measured mainly in straight-line numbers. Today, SRT adds a complete approach with the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8.

"The SRT approach to performance is multi-dimensional," said Dan Knott, Director, Street and Racing Technology, Chrysler Group. "For example, the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 incorporates Brembo brakes to stop as well as it accelerates. Its handling is world-class across a dynamic range. Its interior is designed specifically for the performance driver. And its performance exterior characteristics don't just look great, they're also functional."

As an all-around performer, the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 is capable of awe-inspiring numbers unheard-of in a muscle sedan: 0-60 mph in around 5 seconds, quarter-mile time in the 13-second range and braking distance from 60-0 mph in approximately 110 feet. The Dodge Charger SRT8 is also capable of accomplishing SRT's signature performance test of 0-100-0 mph in the mid 16-second range.

Ride and Handling
    Chassis improvements on the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 include SRT-tuned dampers, specially tailored spring rates and suspension bushings, and large-diameter anti-sway bars. The ride height of the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 is one-half inch lower than the Dodge Charger. Handling is enhanced for performance with an Electronic Stability Program (ESP) specially tuned for the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8.

The all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 rides on unique SRT-developed five-spoke 20-inch forged aluminum wheels. Tires are high-performance Goodyear Supercar F1 three-season tires with asymmetrical tread (four-season tires are an available option) -- 245/45/20 in the front, and 255/45/20 in the rear.

Braking
    Balanced performance demands the ability to slow and stop a vehicle in proportion to the ability to accelerate. The braking system of the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 provides benchmark braking performance, befitting the Charger SRT8's extreme performance character.

All four wheels feature Brembo performance brake calipers, with the red finish characteristic of all Dodge SRT vehicles. Each four-piston caliper grips a vented rotor; 360 x 32mm discs up front, with 350 x 26mm in the rear.

Exterior
    Functional performance is at the heart of the SRT credo. To that end, an all-new front fascia includes integrated ducts that help direct fresh air to cool the brakes. The front fascia also incorporates an air dam to reduce lift. The hood is equipped with a scoop to funnel cool air into the engine compartment.

The rear fascia features integrated lower strakes to direct air flow and aggressive cutouts to accommodate dual 3.5-inch exhaust tips. A dramatic decklid spoiler set on dual stanchions increases downforce for high-speed stability and traction.

And because SRT vehicles look as good as they perform, a unique heritage-style SRT badge is set into the blacked-out grill. Body-colored exterior mirrors fold inward for convenience in tight quarters.

Three exterior colors are available: Bright Silver, Brilliant Black and Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat.

Interior
    Race-inspired interior appointments in the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 start with power-adjustable, deeply sculpted and highly bolstered sport seats in the front fitted with performance suede inserts to hold occupants during maneuvering. Rear seats have matching performance suede inserts. All seats have contrasting red stitching.

Other sporting touches include "carbon fiber" technical leather trim on the steering wheel for better grip, and special finishing on the center stack.

A 180-mph (300 kph) speedometer, tachometer and temperature gauge feature dark faces unique to the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. An LED display within the gauge cluster is driver-configurable for oil temperature, oil pressure and tire pressure readouts.

Available options on the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 include power sunroof, Kicker® audio system with six-disc CD changer, DVD-based Navigation system with turn-by directions and voice prompts, automatic temperature control, heated front seats and side air bags.

Also available are SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and a UConnect™ hands-free communications system with Bluetooth™ technology. This system recognizes up to seven different Bluetooth-equipped cellular phones and responds to voice commands, utilizing a microphone in the rear-view mirror and the stereo system's speakers for hands-free conversations.

The 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 interior is offered in Dark Slate Grey/Light Graystone.

Powertrain
    Just as the very first Charger - the original 1964 "Charger by Dodge" concept car -- sported a HEMI V-8, the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 gets its motivation from a HEMI, too. In this case, it's a big-bore, SRT-engineered version producing 425 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.

Several features of the new 6.1-liter SRT HEMI recall the legendary HEMI engines of previous decades, including the namesake hemispherical combustion chambers that provide power and efficiency, orange-painted cylinder block, black valve covers, and even the horsepower rating (with less displacement, the 6.1-liter HEMI's 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds that of the legendary Street HEMI of the 1960s and '70s).

To create the 6.1-liter version of the Chrysler Group's HEMI, SRT powertrain engineers applied tried-and-true engine-building tricks honed by generations of American hot-rodders.

They unleashed 85 more horsepower by adding more cubic inches, increasing the compression ratio, redesigning the cylinder head, intake and exhaust systems for increased flow, and increasing engine speed.

For more displacement, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of the cylinders in the HEMI by 3.5 millimeters each in order to increase the total displacement to 6.1 liters from 5.7 liters.

Compression ratio was also increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1, increasing engine efficiency and power.

Engine breathing was increased with new higher-flow cylinder heads, a specially designed intake manifold, and exhaust headers with individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell, all unique to the 6.1-liter HEMI engine. Larger-diameter valves and reshaped ports in the heads allow for maximized air flow. The intake manifold was designed with larger-diameter and shorter runners for higher-speed tuning. Exhaust is routed through a large-diameter (2.75-inch vs. 2.5-inch) exhaust system with 3.5-inch chrome tips.

To further increase horsepower, performance-oriented camshaft profiles were developed to allow more air in and out of the cylinders, as well as manage a higher engine speed. SRT engineers increased HEMI's peak power output engine speed nearly 20 percent to 6,000 revolutions per minute (rpm) from 5,000 rpm. Intake and exhaust valve stems are hollow, and exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to help dissipate heat more efficiently.

The high-performance SRT 6.1-liter HEMI is strengthened with redesigned components, including a reinforced engine block, forged steel crankshaft, high-strength powdered-metal connecting rods, floating-pin pistons (cooled by oil squirters), and an oil pan modified to manage oil return to the pan sump at high engine speeds.
    Power for the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI is channeled through an A580 five-speed automatic transmission with specially calibrated driver-selectable AutoStick®, which offers fully automatic or manual shifting selection. A heavy-duty four-flange prop shaft sends the torque from the transmission to an upgraded differential and axles.

The 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 will be assembled at Brampton Assembly Plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

Source: DaimlerChrysler MediaServices

Unhappy

This why most of us, when we trade in our Marauders, will be saying buh-by to FoMoCo. The Mustang is a great car, but way too small for most of us who have families. If you want a large powerful affordable sedan you will need to look elsewhere, mainly Chrysler, but even GM is introducing a 300hp Impala sedan soon (though it's probably fwd)
    '03 MM 300B (sold)
    Dark Blue Pearl
    # 680612
    Rear Spoiler
    6-disc changer
    Heated seats
    DOB 2/7/03
    Purchased 6/3/03

2013 Chevrolet ZL1 Convertible

bigslim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar
    Sorry. I tried to find the price and the one they listed was $29,900 something, and I assumed that was for this guy. That must have been the Daytona model then. (?)

I agree about the S/C option on our cars, but unfortunately here in the PRK that isn't an option. Neither is an exhaust upgrade.

If I had to do it again right now I would still get my MM. Mine was $27K out the door with taxes and all, and with all of my mods it still works out to only $33K for a great car.

Norm
    That's the price for the Charger "RT" not the "SRT-8".

ex00p71 Guest
    Whats this new two door Dodge Challenger you speak of, and why, why did they call this four door although really cool a Charger, I don't remember Bo and Luke jumpin a four door over a creek.

technically they didn't have any doors did they.

Two different cars!

Quote Originally Posted by ex00p71
    Whats this new two door Dodge Challenger you speak of, and why, why did they call this four door although really cool a Charger, I don't remember Bo and Luke jumpin a four door over a creek.

technically they didn't have any doors did they.
    They are two different cars:

The Dodge Charger is a 4 door sedan, also in (SRT-8) rear wheel drive.

The Dodge Challenger which is two doors like the Mustang and GTO
    also in (SRT-8) same ponies with rear wheel drive

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

ex00p71 Guest
    I realize they're two different cars, but I haven't seen the new Challenger yet, is it basically the same as the new Charger, but minus two doors?

Or is it a smaller sports car.

As I was saying, I think the Charger should also be two doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc-O-matic
    They are two different cars:

The Dodge Charger is a 4 door sedan, also in (SRT-8) rear wheel drive.

The Dodge Challenger which is two doors like the Mustang and GTO
    also in (SRT-8) same ponies with rear wheel drive

Gotta Love It!
    But it's a 4-door. Chargers have never had 4-doors.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

mtnh Guest
    I'm not convinced that the quality will be what it should be. With all of the performance goodies, though, it would probably price out much higher to insure than our "Grand Marquis" Marauders. I like the looks of the car, and the seats are to die for. I wonder how the mpg ratings will look. With gas prices that will probably never retreat back below $2/gallon, I'm personally very happy to have a car that will acheive 23-25 mpg on the road. What will the Charger get with an extra 1500 CC of cubic displacement? It also sounds good about their transmission with the availability of having manual gear selections with a shifter that supports up/down gear toggling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information