Thread: A salute to the SS guys.

Thumbs up A salute to the SS guys.

It warms me deeply with all the help support and experience the SS guys have given us here on these forums. It warms me. I am happy to have you here, and in just a few more months, as the Mods come out and are installed, we will be seeing some serious SS vs. MM shotouts. This rivalry between Chevy and Ford has been foundering due to the generals choices to drop all the cars the rivalry was based on.

Now with the Marauder, The Impala guys have some one to trash-talk with.

Again, thank you, and see you on the 1/4 mile.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

At least they're sane, nice people. I could never stand the F-body vs Mustang rivalry...It was always so bitter.

Well, Class cars draw class people
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

I just think its so cool to watch the begining of a great relationship. We are both the fat kids on the block an I'm so glad you moved in recently. Now we have someone to play with!

Bishop 95 BBB Impala SS
    Headers, Intake, Yada, yada, yada, 14.7

first of all, thanks! it's always fun to beat the rice and i've even gotten a 4.6 gt and a z28 at the track, but as was stated above..it's great to have someone in your own league to play with. trash talk?? it's all in fun..just ask the lincoln guys from sshs last year. hope to SSee more of you folks at the track. i guess until then we'll remain "the fast and the curious" rock on, rus

I don't own a Marauder (yet!) but I've always thought of the Impala SS as a "big brother on steroids" compared to my Crown Vic LX Sport. I was actually "honored" a couple months ago when the driver of an SS felt the need to show me who had the more powerful car. There was never any doubt in my mind, but the guy really turned on the after-burners when he saw me pacing him on the highway. I'm at least 1 (if not 2) years away from being able to purchase the MM and a chip. Until then I'll have to be content with delicious dreams of anticipation!
    Last edited by Cooper; 10-17-2002 at 02:24 PM.

UNYISSO93DCM Guest
    Even thou i dont have a Impala SS(Wishing i did!), I have a Caprice SS, and i take that as a compliment too! I know my car will be no rival to the Modified MM's, unless i modify my 305, or just drop a LT-1 in it. Thanks! This forum is a cool one, and i enjoy reading what u guys have to say. Us Big kids have to stick together!

SSMOKEM Guest
    Hey MAD-3R,

Thanks for the kind words. We land barges need to stick together

I'm still waiting for the day when gangs of Marauders and Impalas terrorize the old ladies in the neighborhood.......

cheddar 96 SS Guest
    I think it's really cool how we now have someone to actually "relate" to. Everything else is either a sports car or a glorified weed-eater.

I can't see anything like this getting as bitter as the Camaro/mustang rivalry. Those two were built at the same time and against each other every single year. Our cars are built in two different time periods but reach the same goal: a fast/strong land yacht. It's a "grandpa" car for crying out loud (or that's what i've been told). It's all about having fun and laughing at ricers

See y'all later. Oh yeah, ill be the one with the tail-lights in front of you :p

JAL Guest
    I've got to say this should be an interesting relationship. Some SS guys are stuck on the SS and think the Marauder sucks. I think it's a great car, not as much torque, but comfort, handling, yes.

I'm just waiting to see some modded Marauders. Should be fun. I'm glad there's another big fat sedan with some power to have fun in or with. Good luck to you guys!

Jeff

bnvus Guest

Thumbs up

Well, Class cars draw class people
    Couldn't of said it any better. I love the Impala and the attension it draws. Now Mercury has a lot of the attension and stepped it up a notch in my opinion. I believe, as with the Impala, they will get just that much better.

Can't wait to get my cheeks wrapped in one.

Soon....

Kevyn Guest
    Thanks for tolerating us chevy guys

I have a story to share. My fixation on large fast cars started in the late 70's when I bought a police package 73 Ford custom 500. It had a 460 police interceptor and was the local Police Dept's pursuit car. My buddy was a mechanic for the PD and told me to buy it because it was pretty fast.

I bought the car and had it for a couple years. I just destroyed every camaro, corvette, mustang I raced. It was really funny to see the look on a vette drivers face as I walked right on by. I sold the car to a buddy and joined the Air Force. I still miss that car.

A couple years ago I decided I wanted another performance sedan. I bought a P71 Crown Vic and began frequenting CV.net. I read a lot about the 9C1 chevy's while I had my CV and became interested because the 4.6 wasn't all that inspiring in the performance dept.

One day, my friend totalled my CV (blessing in disguise) and I happened to come across a deal on a local 9C1 Caprice. I thought my CV handled better and was more comfortable but I just couldn't ignore the LT1's performance advantage. I also realized that the LT1 could be made even faster with less $$$.

At that time I was converted to a chevy guy because the CV was not at all competetive in terms of straight line performance. The 99 pi heads were not in production yet and other mods were pricey. I knew of Sean Hyland Motorsports and other shops but I just couldn't afford to buy the car and spend a fortune to make it fast.

Now times have changed. There is a viable option from Ford. I just wish it was more affordable. The DOHC 4.6 can be made wicked fast with forced induction. A local guy, Lidio, (www.alternativeauto.com) has taken an otherwise stock DOHC mustang into the 9's for a couple years now with just a centrifugal blower and fuel system. It's an extreme example but shows the enormous potential of that powerplant.

I work at Ford, half my family works there or is retired from Ford. I'm paying on a new Taurus right now, but am thinking hard what my next new car will be. The MM is definately on my short list.

I'll be at Milan dragway tonight, next Wednesday and probably Friday (the last day they're open). I wish some of the local MM guys would come out and play.

I appreciate the hospitality that the MM folks have showed us chevy guys. You guys are a class act.

Ray Snyder Guest

Talking

Speaking as somone who is fortunate to have both. I really am happy to have me here as well.

VaderSS Guest
    I consider myself a Car Nut first, GM guy second, especially since GM abandoned me a while back. I am not a fan of trucks so the only new offerings that excite me are the MM and a few other impracticle cars such as the Vette, MR2 Spyder...

I got to crawl all over one a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Maybe I'll get to trade for a few minutes in the future, and get to feel what a lightly modded MM feels like, while a MM driver can feel what a lightly modded SS feels like.

I'm glad to see that the MM forum is not about trash talking and no-one has said, "We don't want you here."

Lots of SS guys do want to trash-talk the MM for it's weaknesses, but I think the car is a great first go, and all it really lacks is torque and more performance oriented programming, both of which are readily fixable.

I've never bought a new car, and never intend to. I sincerely hope that the resale on the MM is not as great as it was for the Impala, so that I will be able to afford a good used example in a few years, to complement my SS, which will be tuned into a pony car kiler, once it is no longer my daily driver.

I have a feeling that the MM is only the start of things. GM is getting back into the RWD business, and the competition should be interesting in a few years. Until that happens though, the MM is the only real competition, and I am looking forward to racing some in the future.

hd2805 Guest
    Your all right on...Have a 96 SS and have been bitching about my MM got enough info that I ordered the gears, chip etc from Dennis and am breathing heavy till they get here and I get them installed....Still love my SS but liking the MM more on a daily basis, Now if I can find some mufflers I like and some 19'' or 20'' wheels I'll be a happy camper (for now)

Thread Information