Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Grand Marquis Coyote/6R80 With A Dash Of Whipple

Quote Originally Posted by bob@84auto View Post
    Yeah we are not that far away. Come on down and check it out. We have several more projects going on to. We are building a factory five gtm, a 1965 comet wagon with everything out of a 14 mustang v6 and few other things. If you need any parts I might be able to help there also.
    You guys don't happen to have any 83-88 Thunderbirds out in the yard? I need some parts for a couple of mine.
    03 Marauder- 300B, non heated seats, T/C, no CD changer
    03 Marauder- 300A, Eaton Swapped, SOLD

03 Marauder- 300A, 5544 of 7839 in 03, Trilogy #24, SOLD
    04 Marauder- 300B, SB with LF interior, 208k miles and still ticking SOLD

I think the only thing we have right now is a 86 cougar. Those olders are getting harder to come by.

Welcome to the site. Awesome project.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

This is the brother who is getting the car built. I originally wanted to build an 87-88 T-Bird or Cougar but they were hard to come by. Even though many parts off a fox body Mustang would work, it was going to be too much of an expense to rebuild everything so I went the panther route. Parts are still plentiful for the panther cars and I will have back up parts for the near future.

For updates on the project, they will probably just come weekly since we mainly just work on it on the weekends. We are still waiting on the Whipple to come in. We need to get the transmission mount finished so I can order the driveshaft for the car.

We need to swap out the differential from the 2014 Mustang. It has 3.11 gears. As of now, I am going to keep the stock brakes. We may attempt the brake upgrade later. I am going to keep the stock springs under it for now. Sway bars were replaced with ADTR swaybars.

Need to wire up the passenger side power. So much for this car being an Ultimate Edition when it didn't have the power seat for the passenger. The seats should be ready in 2-3 weeks. Soundproofing should be finished this weekend. After that is done, we can start putting the interior back together.

For the wheels, I like the FK Ethos RT-7M but Discount Tire Direct only offers them with a dual bolt pattern and I don't want to see the extra 5 holes since the wheel doesn't have a cap to hide the lug nuts. I also plan to run a staggered set up. 20 x 8.5 on the front and 20 x 10 on the rear. Tentative tire size is 255/40R20 and 295/35R20.

Lots of wiring will need to happen. I may need to break down and buy the Ford IDS in order to modify the
    BCM from the Mustang. I want the reverse lights to work properly. I also want it so the back up camera we are installing comes on when the car goes into reverse.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting. That's it for now.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mickaloha View Post
    This is the brother who is getting the car built. I originally wanted to build an 87-88 T-Bird or Cougar but they were hard to come by. Even though many parts off a fox body Mustang would work, it was going to be too much of an expense to rebuild everything so I went the panther route. Parts are still plentiful for the panther cars and I will have back up parts for the near future.

For updates on the project, they will probably just come weekly since we mainly just work on it on the weekends. We are still waiting on the Whipple to come in. We need to get the transmission mount finished so I can order the driveshaft for the car.

We need to swap out the differential from the 2014 Mustang. It has 3.11 gears. As of now, I am going to keep the stock brakes. We may attempt the brake upgrade later. I am going to keep the stock springs under it for now. Sway bars were replaced with ADTR swaybars.

Need to wire up the passenger side power. So much for this car being an Ultimate Edition when it didn't have the power seat for the passenger. The seats should be ready in 2-3 weeks. Soundproofing should be finished this weekend. After that is done, we can start putting the interior back together.

For the wheels, I like the FK Ethos RT-7M but Discount Tire Direct only offers them with a dual bolt pattern and I don't want to see the extra 5 holes since the wheel doesn't have a cap to hide the lug nuts. I also plan to run a staggered set up. 20 x 8.5 on the front and 20 x 10 on the rear. Tentative tire size is 255/40R20 and 295/35R20.

Lots of wiring will need to happen. I may need to break down and buy the Ford IDS in order to modify the
    BCM from the Mustang. I want the reverse lights to work properly. I also want it so the back up camera we are installing comes on when the car goes into reverse.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting. That's it for now.

Mick
    Sounds like a well thought out project. I have 2 86 T-birds and I'm hoping to build one into a Pro-Touring / Coyote Swap one day. Maybe when the F150 Coyotes drop to below $1000 I'll be able to afford one.
    There are some Chinese IDS copies on ebay, but I haven't seen anyone review them.
    03 Marauder- 300B, non heated seats, T/C, no CD changer
    03 Marauder- 300A, Eaton Swapped, SOLD

03 Marauder- 300A, 5544 of 7839 in 03, Trilogy #24, SOLD
    04 Marauder- 300B, SB with LF interior, 208k miles and still ticking SOLD

Since the weather was cold, we did not complete the sound deadening work. We will do that next weekend when it is warmer. We tried to get the old torpedo heater working for the cold shop, but we had no luck.

My brother got the passenger side power seat wiring from the Lincoln Town Car wired into the Grand Marquis.

We need to do some dash work on installing the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX. It won't fit in the opening and we will need to file down the upper corner in the opening.

My brother finished the transmission mount and crossmember. The mount was powder coated. The crossmember is too large to fit in our oven. Need to build a bigger oven but that is a project for another day.

We were able to measure for the custom driveshaft. 65.75". I'll get that order tomorrow.

We're still waiting on the Whipple to show up. I'll call Lethal Performance on Tuesday.

We may try to modify the brakes from the 2015 Mustang I have as a donor. They are 13.9" with a 4 piston caliper. We'll look into that more later. It will take some engineering. We probably won't mess with the rear unless the rear on the other 2014 donor has a much larger rotor than the Grand Marquis.

That's it for now. Look for further updates in the future.

Mick

Engineering already done.

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=94024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Engineering already done.

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=94024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw that thread. I thought about that but if I can take the calipers and rotors off my donor car and just make a bracket, I will do that. If it works, I load up the CAD file and dimensions and people can make their own. This is down the line though.

The sound deadening work is complete. The back up camera was installed. Dash work is complete for radio installation. Radio was tested to make sure it could pair to phone and make phone calls and play music through Bluetooth.

Carpet was installed. We may need to buy Town Car carpet since we are using the vent tube out of the Town Car because of the 40/20/40 seats we are using out of the Town Car. The Grand Marquis had a split vent tube that went on the side of the tunnel as opposed to the top like the Town Car. This is throwing off the geometry of the carpet for the bolt holes for the seats. We'll see how the seats look with the carpet when I get them back from the upholstery shop.

Heater box was set back into place. We have about 1/2" clearance between the valve cover and the heater box. We may have to cut part of the heater box out and reform it with fiberglass or put an engine limiter on it to keep the engine from rocking in that direction.

I called Lethal Performance again to get a status on the supercharger. They say it should ship out this week but I have been hearing that for the past few weeks. When that comes in, we can start messing with the brackets and accessories alignment.

Driveshaft will be ordered tomorrow.

It is starting to look like a car again.

Good afternoon guys just wanted to let you know that the project is not dead just slow right now with all the holiday stuff and everything else. It took a while but the whipple finally showed up. Hopefully we can get some more done here pretty soon. By the way Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. Here are a couple of pics of the charger.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's this? An update after two years? Yes! This project is still alive and almost complete. The car is drivable. We just had it tuned recently. Attached is the dyno chart. It puts 589 HP to the wheels at max and max torque is 508 ft/lbs. According to our tuner, there is still some room for more power before we would have to switch to E85 or race fuel. As for what it took to get to that number, there was a lot.

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 coyote engine and 6R80 automatic transmission
    2.9 Whipple Gen 3 Supercharger for Mustang Coyote engine
    Custom 3" stainless steel dual exhaust with dual Mufflers and dual resonators
    Custom Driveshaft from the Driveshaft Store
    Limited slip differential out of 2014 Mustang GT with 3.11 ratio
    Power coated rear end housing out of a Grand Marquis
    Metco Control Arms and Watts Link to keep the beast planted
    19 x 9.5 TSW Nurburgring wheels with Michelin Super Sport 285/40R19 on the rear
    19 x 8.5 TSW Nurburgring wheels with Michelin Super Sport 255/45R19 on the front
    Power Stop Z26 Street Warrior Performance Brake Kits on front and rear

That was the main power and suspension upgrades. There are tons of minor upgrades/parts I had to buy like all the various clamps and hoses we used to make the cooling and intake system. We had to use an electric power steering pump out of a Volvo for power steering. At the time, Power by the Hour did not have brackets for the Whipple Supercharger but they do now. Of course VMP has their larger supercharger out now, so I may have went for that at the time we started this project but you never know what the future holds except for MORE POWER!

With the electric power steering pump taking the place of where the battery sat, we relocated the battery to the trunk.

With the power and fuel this thing sucked up and the differences between the returnless style system of the Mustang and Grand Marquis, we went with a return style fuel system. Luckily we had a fuel hat that was return from an older Town Car we used. Fuel pump was upgraded to Wahlbro 455. We initially used a Corvette Fuel filter that had a return on it but we were not sending enough fuel up to engine which is why we changed that.

Since the 2014 Mustang used Canbus for many things, we had to tie back into the system. We are still working on the reverse lights. To get the reverse lights to work, we had to use the instrument cluster out the Mustang and run a wire to tie into the Canbus system. It is attached to the rear quarter inside the trunk. We initially had power run directly from the battery but it draws too much current and runs the battery down. We will have to tie it into a key on wire in the front to have reverse lights come on when the car is in reverse via the transmission. So far that has been one of the biggest pains.

We still need to work on cruise control. Unfortunately the Grand Marquis and Mustang have different voltages for the cruise switches. My brother plans to tie the Mustang switch into the car in the near future to see if it will work. If it does, we will mount the Mustang switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel since we won't be able to use the steering wheel switches that are currently there.

Body wise we did not change too much except for the hood. It is a Class Glass Performance Power Bulge Hood to help clear the Whipple Supercharge. I also changed the body moldings to Crown Vic/ Marauder side moldings. I also took out the chrome molding in the front and rear bumpers and replaced it with a black molding. I also painted the grille white with black inserts as opposed to chrome. The rear applique was painted black as well. The only chrome left is the piece around the windows, door handles, and emblems on front and back.

The car is currently having the windows tinted and some black stripes put into the side moldings today. Pictures to come later along with more details of what went into this long project.

So much hard work was supplied by my brother and dad during this project. As for a project to recommend for someone else?; I would avoid it unless you want to be different. The systems are too great a difference between the Mustang and Grand Marquis. I wish it was more plug and play but it's not. ABS doesn't work yet. Traction control will probably out of the question. various other odds and ends. The outcome though is I have supercharged Coyote Grand Marquis. It feels good to drive it after all this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is how the car looks now. Windows tinted and black line in the side moldings and rear bumper grooves. The car needs to be washed and buffed. Alignment is tomorrow. Hope to get the cruise working on Sunday. More details to follow in the coming weeks. 20200103_163320.jpg

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information