Thread: Red/Burgundy 2004 Marauder Paint

Red/Burgundy 2004 Marauder Paint

So the marauder I inherited has a lot of scratches on in. Nothing really bad but it looks like my father in law drove it through a jungle. I have no idea how he managed to scratch it so much... even on the top of the car. One scratch is particularly deep so I don't want rust to set in. Anyway, is a Ford dealership the best place to go or would any good garage that specializes in paint work? I guess my mother in law bought a vile on touchup paint. It's in the glove box. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself because I'm pretty sure I'd mess it up. Anyway, again, I was just wondering what place would be the best. I live in Central PA. Thanks.

I would check out a detail shop, one that details, buffs cars etc.it may be able to be buffed with compounds to get rids of small, light scratches, deep ones tend to need paint. I assume you are not looking to paint the car as that will get pricey fast..like in excess of $5k
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I would check out a detail shop, one that details, buffs cars etc.it may be able to be buffed with compounds to get rids of small, light scratches, deep ones tend to need paint. I assume you are not looking to paint the car as that will get pricey fast..like in excess of $5k

Nah, the car as a whole has great paint condition. There are just some areas that are scratched. They are just unslightly. But like I said, there are maybe a couple spots that are rather deep and metal is exposed. They are about 1 to 2 inches long, but I don't want rust to set in. I think you are right about the rest of the spots, they could probably be buffed out. There is a spot next to the sunroof. I don't know what is up with it. It is kind of bumpy. Paint is still fine, but it is bubbly right next to the gasket.

Anyway, I'll look into a detail shop.

Quote Originally Posted by chefcaleb View Post
    Nah, the car as a whole has great paint condition. There are just some areas that are scratched. They are just unslightly. But like I said, there are maybe a couple spots that are rather deep and metal is exposed. They are about 1 to 2 inches long, but I don't want rust to set in. I think you are right about the rest of the spots, they could probably be buffed out. There is a spot next to the sunroof. I don't know what is up with it. It is kind of bumpy. Paint is still fine, but it is bubbly right next to the gasket.

Anyway, I'll look into a detail shop.
    its rust mine is doing the same at the sunroof, up front and corner near the drivers side
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

rust happened to Pat's..he ended replacing the roof skin

https://mercurymarauder.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=86528
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I would insure it and wait for it to get keyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    its rust mine is doing the same at the sunroof, up front and corner near the drivers side

Well that is the exact spot mine is doing it. So you are saying it is rust causing that? That sucks. Is it fixable without costing too much? Seems like it could be sanded and repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    I would insure it and wait for it to get keyed.

What do you mean by that? Insurance will help pay for it? I have it insured but only the bare minimum. I do have it covered for acts of God like hail. Since we get a lot of hail here and the neighbors have a tree that I think is dying and will fall any minute. Of course, it is still standing 5 years later, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by chefcaleb View Post
    What do you mean by that? Insurance will help pay for it? I have it insured but only the bare minimum. I do have it covered for acts of God like hail. Since we get a lot of hail here and the neighbors have a tree that I think is dying and will fall any minute. Of course, it is still standing 5 years later, but still...

Free car, limited production, low build # DTR with moonroof......and bare minimum insurance? WTFO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Push back the rubber seal on the sunroof with your fingers. Sand the rust. Touch up with paint. Wet sand with 1500. Buff. Done. Still not invisible but better than a rust bubble. I just did mine.

It took me 10 years to notice that the two run off channels at the back of the roof had only the lightest dusting of paint and were badly rusted. The paint they did at the Canada plant was the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Very difficult to do brush touch-up with base coat metallic or pearl, you would not only have to do the color, but apply clear afterwords. You could do anything temporarily, but ultimately a respray of the panel with the deep scratches would be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 03blackvegas View Post
    Very difficult to do brush touch-up with base coat metallic or pearl, you would not only have to do the color, but apply clear afterwords. You could do anything temporarily, but ultimately a respray of the panel with the deep scratches would be necessary.

Yes, that's my thought. I think everyone is right about touching up. The little vile of paint my in laws bought from the dealer I think will suffice for the time being. But... I have the funds right now for an actual garage to do it. I don't trust myself with touching up . I am a pastry chef with steady hands, but still... I just don't trust myself. I just wanted to know if a dealer would be the best or someone else. There is a collision repair shop down the road that specializes in older cars and doing custom metal work and what not. They have great reviews so I think I might go with them.

ford dealer

I would not use any dealer for body work. They are only interested in doing a Earl Sheib job at best. Find a reputable independently owned body shop.

Yeah. My pos is rust on n the roof, must have been lunch time with greasy from ngers before they primed it

Mine is bad

I'll just tig a new corner piece in there or do a panoramic roof
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Thread Information