Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marauder News

Post Marauder News

From Autoweek (08:45 June 05, 2002)

Mercury working on ways to add more muscle to Marauder.

We’re not the only ones who reported Mercury’s Marauder muscle car is a little short on, well, muscle. Marauder project chief Steve Babcock said as much during a recent briefing when he promised more ponies for the next iteration of the tricked-out Grand Marquis. The problem, he identifies, is giving Marauder power while avoiding fuel-economy penalties.

So far, Marauder has been handicapped with a naturally aspirated 32-valve 4.6-liter V8 that produces 300 horsepower and not enough low-end grunt, but a solution may be imminent. At a recent hot rod show, Babcock popped the hood on a silver-painted Marauder to show off its supercharged 32-valve 4.6-liter that may solve the mileage/power conundrum.

While it’s not the full SVT Cobra package, the Roush booster pushes performance to 340-345 hp, which we’re told is enough to knock a second off Marauder’s high-14-second quarter-mile time.

Mercury folks are mum about future Marauder plans, other than to say potential buyers in warmer climes want a lighter body-color option.

Power

Logan: I would love to have a Supercharged Marauder-But-I wonder what it would do to the price?

Jim

I can't see them raising or modifying the price all that much, there's very little development work that would need to be done. The block dimensions are the same, and the engine's already been profiled for low hood clearance. Detuning would consist of either a smaller lower blower pulley or a larger upper pulley to lower the boost on the M112...

Makes perfect sense to me. If I see a blown 4.6 in the marauder next year, my 02 Lightning will be going bye-bye in favor of the marauder. The 4.6 in the new cobra was massively underrated and I've seen dyno sheets showing 385hp 375tq at the REAR wheels. Account for drivetrain loss and that makes the cobra motor out to be a 425/410 monster at the crank, not 390/390 like they claim.

shirohniichan Guest
    So when the supercharged version comes out for '04, I'll be able to pick up an '03 really cheap, right? Yeh, I wish...

D C Guest
    Boost is good thing. A very very good thing. I wouldn't have any problem at all with a supercharged Marauder. Hell, I probably won't have mine until the 04 model anyway.

DC, Coming out of a 02 Lightning, I can whole-heartedly agree with you!!

With the pistons in the current setup, only 10 to 15 lbs of boost could be tolerated. I wonder if the silver MM supercharger set up has different pistons AND does it have an upgraded driveshaft ?
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth, Republic of Texas

Talking

More power! YES! That's music to my ears. Like I've said before, if I'm going to lay down $35K for a "muscle car", it's got to have more than 302 h.p. That one issue has been the only thing I've disliked about the car. Glad to know the Marauder project folks are listening to the voices of the masses!

We all know that power and performance will continue to improve but the SC issue is a different animal altogether! The dilemma is do you trade in or retro?
    Still hangin on

Accufab Racing Guest
    The Marauder you must be talking about is the S55 and was on display at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. 345 HP, 345 ft lbs or torque, Rousch calibrtion on the 4R trans, Hi-flow Hedman X-pipe with larger diameter, Visteon 3.27 limited slip, Bosch traction control, Baer 14" front and 12" cross drilled and slotted rotors. A few neat tricks on interior and exterior. Only one car built so far and is still going through certification. I can tell you that the Mercury folks, including the marketing execs, hear your complaints at all levels and are working to accent the performance.

Logan, I need to talk to you. It looks very good right now regarding the National Marauder get together in Dallas next year. Fun Ford Weekend and L-M seem very enthusiastic about your plans.

Post Autoweek "It's a Guy Thing"

Latest Autoweek article.

"2003 Mercury Marauder: It's a Guy Thing
    Mean Marauder has attitude aplenty"

Stock - 300A - Ordered April 6, 02 Prod. Date: May 28, 02
    Past Favorites:
    69 Ford Fairlane Fastback 390, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, blue
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Cale Yarbrough Spec red/wht
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Dan Gurney Spec. blue/wht
    76 Mercury Grand Marquis 460, brn/gold 2dr
    83 Mercury Capri 5.0HO, red Crimson Cat
    84 Ford LTD LX 5.0HO, brown, little fox police package

I saw a note somewhere that Rousch did the top of the engine for L&M not Ford SVT. I thought that was odd seeing that it was the Cobra engine they are using? Why has Rousch not come up with a charger for the engine yet? I see other tuners on the web offering performance items? Maybe now that the NASCAR season is over they will get to work on it.
    Happy to see a note about the factory stepping up to the plate?
    AS for the color I know warm hot sun lovers need lighter shades of paint but, BLACK looks so good on this car!! (no I do not love washing it every other day-sucks not having a garage!!)
    Big Dog Jim
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Rousch does alot of factory engineering for Ford. The Ford GT engine is entirely Rousch designed. OUr engine however, is not. It's essentially a '01 Cobra Motor with different cams and upper intake, minus the fancy valve covers...

I'm having Mercury install the 4.10 pachage. Where do I get this "Custom Magnaflow X pipe Catback?"
    03 Mercury Marauder 300A
    - Built 8-19-02
    - MM Jacket
    - Reinhart Chip, Plugs and
    180 Thermostat
    - 4.10 Gears
    - Bob White Decals (Ruby Red Reflective)
    - Trunk Organizer (Clear Tops)
    - KB dead pedal
    - God's Head Front & Rear Badging

L/M should have put some fancy valve covers on the MM?
    2003 (#867 of #7839) 300A Marauder
    #23 MercuryMarauder.net member
    6/7/02 Build Date
    6/17/02 Purchased
    IL Plate MARAWDR
    35%Tint All Around
    Z&M Control Arms
    Real AutoMeter Oil Gauge
    Marauder Hats in rear window
    Rear Bumper Gray Decals
    Trunk Organizer
    OEM Frt Splash Guards