Thread: Factory Tech Transmissions Mods

Factory Tech Transmissions Mods

Has anyone here tried Gregg Evans valvebody kit? He is pretty much the god of E4ODs and 4R100s. He has a new kit out for 4R70W.

Any links to reviews or articles about this?
    2003 300A Black Mercury Marauder 4334 of 7839
    Trilogy #150 installed by Carfixer & Tallboy 4/21/2007
    (brute's garage)

Gregg is a supporting vendor, on the Lightning Boards. Here's a link to his support forum. Basically, his rep is very, very good. Just surf through the NLOC boards (particularly the one for Gen2's), and you'll see what I mean.

He also sells his wares on eBay... Here's a link to the 4R70W kit. I can't speak to it, just what he can do for a Lightning - perfect shifting, tire squacking fun!
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    Any links to reviews or articles about this?
    I have a FTVB in my Lightning. This is the first mod that I would recommend to anyone. Greg Evans builds quality products and stands behind them. The lightning valve body shifts hard under heavy throttle but is well mannered under light throttle. I didn't know he had the Marauder unit. Go for it. You wont be disappointed.
    I bought mine from Tim @ Chickenears Performance. Don't laugh, that really is the name of the store. You can call Tim or contact Greg directly, although he is sometimes hard to catch. Greg answered all my questions via email. There are other valve bodies on the market but they do not compare. Go for it, you'll have a smile on your face!

Arrow my .02

My '95 CVPI could use something like that. The only thing is, it costs as much ( parts and labor) as what I bought the car for.

Welcome aboard, Jeffh. Enjoy the site.
    Last edited by RoyLPita; 01-03-2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Forgot something important
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by QWK SVT
    Gregg is a supporting vendor, on the Lightning Boards. Here's a link to his support forum. Basically, his rep is very, very good. Just surf through the NLOC boards (particularly the one for Gen2's), and you'll see what I mean.

He also sells his wares on eBay... Here's a link to the 4R70W kit. I can't speak to it, just what he can do for a Lightning - perfect shifting, tire squacking fun!
    Well, this looks really good to me. Can you tell me is this similar to Reinharts Level II kit (I think that is what he calls it) for the transmission? Do you have any idea of the effort in hours by a tranny tech to install these parts, so that I could get a good idea of the total cost of the mod?

My only concern is that I am running Dennis's program off my 9100 which firmed up shifts very nicely, and installing these parts might screw up that program or cause a situation where dennis wouldn't know how to account for the new parts?

Thanks for any further info!

Norm

The FTVB is a great piece, used one in my Lightning too. Perfectly proportioned.

The Reinhart Stage II is basically a full rebuild of your tranny with heavier duty bands and clutches and a new valvebody, the FTVB is just that, a valvebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar
    Well, this looks really good to me. Can you tell me is this similar to Reinharts Level II kit (I think that is what he calls it) for the transmission? Do you have any idea of the effort in hours by a tranny tech to install these parts, so that I could get a good idea of the total cost of the mod?

My only concern is that I am running Dennis's program off my 9100 which firmed up shifts very nicely, and installing these parts might screw up that program or cause a situation where dennis wouldn't know how to account for the new parts?

Thanks for any further info!

Norm
    The install is fairly straight forward. The FTVB comes with full instructions. I installed mine in my shop with the truck on stands. A lift would be easier. The install should take an hour or so. You will also need a new filter and trans fluid. The instructions explain all this. No bigee, but what a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jakdad
    The install is fairly straight forward. The FTVB comes with full instructions. I installed mine in my shop with the truck on stands. A lift would be easier. The install should take an hour or so. You will also need a new filter and trans fluid. The instructions explain all this. No bigee, but what a difference.
    Yeah, little under an hour, with a lift. Scary to think about, but simple to do.

No bigee? Quicker, firmer shifts AND increasing tranny longevity at the same time! The FTVB makes everyone go from this > to this >

Cool! I was thinking from looking at it that the tranny needed to be taken out of the car and taken apart (?) If it's just a lift and following instructions then I can probably figure it out.

Thanks again.

Norm

Cool! I was thinking from looking at it that the tranny needed to be taken out of the car and taken apart (?) If it's just a lift and following instructions then I can probably figure it out.

Thanks again.

Norm
    It's a basic hand tools kinda deal - you could get by with a socket set, but you really should have the right torque wrenches though - one to measure lb/in and another that measures lb/ft.

If you want the instructions, fire off an email to Gregg - he is usually quick to respond, though I think he might be on vacation, right now (or just getting back from).

Just noticed this part of your previous message ^^^

The VB is generally considered a better way to increase shift firmness (versus the change in program). Since you have a 9100, I would suggest you get a new program for your car reducing the programmed line pressure back to normal (or closer to), after FTVB install. You could always switch to the old program if you wanted to. I'm quite sure Dennis'll know what to do, to work well with this mod...

Quote Originally Posted by QWK SVT
    The VB is generally considered a better way to increase shift firmness (versus the change in program). Since you have a 9100, I would suggest you get a new program for your car reducing the programmed line pressure back to normal (or closer to), after FTVB install. You could always switch to the old program if you wanted to. I'm quite sure Dennis'll know what to do, to work well with this mod...
    Excellent. Thanks very much for the good info.

Norm

It looks like a nice and complete kit but beware. If your car is still under warranty and you develope a trany problem they may bounce you with their valvebody. Unless you take the hit on the $75 core charge and hold on to your old valve body you'll have a hard time explaining where your Ford valve body went.

If you are out of warranty don't sweat it.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

Thread Information