Thread: Question about XCal2 and Trilogy Tune

Question about XCal2 and Trilogy Tune

So...I still have my Xcal2 from Lidio that came with his N/A tune for 3.55 and 4.10 gears.

When I did my blower install, I put the new chip in, but did not bother returning my PCM to stock with the Xcal2 before doing that.

So...just a few quick questions because I'm a little cloudy on how the add on chip and the tune work together...

Obviously, the car runs fine and the overlay chip isn't affected by the tune program still being there.

The questions:

1.) Will the Xcal2 act differently when I plug it in to run data logging? Will it be bothered by the overlay chip in anyway?

2.) Can I extract the tune and d/l it back to the Xcal2 with the overlay chip in the PCM? What if I decided to sell the Xcal2 and wanted to retrive the tune and return the PCM to stock? I hear once you install the tune it becomes VIN-locked until you return the stock program to the PCM, so if i wanted to use the tune in another car I'd have to retrieve the tune file and return the stock program to my car....right?

I'm not really planning to sell it, first I'm going to see how I like it for logging and other things. But...if I decide I don't really need it, the thought has crossed my mind and it's probably just a brick to others if it's VIN locked...

Maybe I'm way off though.

Thanks!
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Modofication of the Trilogy Tune

Breadfan,

We have provided a XCal2 with your kit to replace the existing stock calibration. YOU MUST KEEP THE XCAL2 WITH THE CAR AT ALL TIMES!!!!! There are several reasons for doing this including any issues you may have down the road that requires the stock tune to be loaded back to the car.

DO NOT PLACE A CHIP IN THE CAR ONCE YOU HAVE LOADED THE NEW SUPERCHARGED TUNE IN THE VEHICLE!!!!! IT CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION IF THEY ARE NOT RECALIBRATED TOGETHER PROPERLY!!!! DO NOT USE A CHIP IN ADDITION TO OUR XCAL2 TUNE!!!!!

TRILOGY MOTORSPORTS HAS GONE TO GREAT PAINS TO INSURE THE RELIABILITY OF YOUR VEHICLE ONCE IT IS SUPERCHARGED, IF YOU CHANGE OUR CALIBRATION YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOID!!!! WE USE LIDIO TO MAKE CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS TO THE TUNE BECAUSE OF HIS KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE WITH OUR KIT AND YOUR CAR. ANY OTHER CALIBRATION NOT APPROVED BY TRILOGY WILL CAUSE YOU A PROBLEM.

DO NOT BE PENNY WISE AND POUNT FOOLISH. INCORRECT CALIBRATIONS CAN CAUSE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WITHIN SECONDS. PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE CHANGING OUR CALIBRATION!!!!!!

THANKS

Jerry

Jerry I think you misread my post...

I did not get an Xcal2 with my kit. I had bought one BEFORE having it supercharged. With my kit #112 all I got was an overlay chip - it did not come with an Xcal2 unit.

The Xcal2 I had played no part in my install...so I'm sorry but I'm somewhat confused now. As far as I knew my existing tune BEFORE the kit install plays no part in the tune after the kit. Again, the Xcal2 handheld I own was bought 8 months before I purchased your kit.

Sorry if my post was confusing...

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Breadfan, it's interesting that you post these questions...I just PM'd Lidio about an issue I'm having with my XCal2. Basically he told me:

First, you apparently will need a special $15 adapter to make the XCal2 work with with a Trilogy chip. I just ordered mine today.

Second, yes...if you take out the Trilogy chip, you can swap out the N/A programme that's currently in your PCM for the stock programme that's in your tuner. Then re-install the Trilogy chip and you'll be good to go. Word of warning, though; the N/A programme will only work on another vehicle if it has the same catch code as your current vehicle.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 08-03-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    Breadfan, it's interesting that you post these questions...I just PM'd Lidio about an issue I'm having with my XCal2. Basically he told me:

First, you apparently will need a special $15 adapter to make the XCal2 work with with a Trilogy chip. I just ordered mine today.

Second, yes...if you take out the Trilogy chip, you can swap out the N/A programme that's currently in your PCM for the stock programme that's in your tuner. Then re-install the Trilogy chip and you'll be good to go. Word of warning, though; the N/A programme will only work on another vehicle is it has the same catch code as your current vehicle.
    Thank you! That's what I was wondering, and assuming, that I had to remove the Trilogy chip to fetch my existing "naturally aspirated Lidio tune" and then reinsert the Trilogy chip.

And ofcourse, not running the car without the Trilogy chip.

Again I apologize that my original post may have been confusing - I do know my way around cars (and others) pretty darn well.
    Last edited by Breadfan; 08-03-2006 at 02:43 PM.

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Please allow me to revise my reply;

If you just want to retrieve your old Lidio programme, you won't need the adapter, as the Trilogy chip is removed during the swap. However, you will need the adapter if you want to read DTCs or do datalogging with the XCal2 while the Trilogy chip is installed. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that before...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    Please allow me to revise my reply;

If you just want to retrieve your old Lidio programme, you won't need the adapter, as the Trilogy chip is removed durning the swap. However, you will need the adapter if you want to read DTCs or do datalogging with the XCal2 while the Trilogy chip is installed. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that before...
    Thanks again! I'm not planning on selling the Xcal2 but incase it just collects dust on the shelf I may consider getting rid of it...nothing in plans just yet, and certainly not trying to replace my supercharged tune with a stock tune.

In the meantime, I'll probably fetch one of these adapter cables. Figured data logging would be good for trips to the track and other things, I've heard it's extremely useful and honestly since I installed the N/A tune my Xcal2 has been in the box...

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan
    Figured data logging would be good for trips to the track and other things, I've heard it's extremely useful ...
    Datalogging is not just for racing...it can indeed be extremely useful for troubleshooting as well.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I use the Xcal2 also.

Lidio put my tune in an Xcal2. Then I pulled the supplied Trilogy chip, leaving the stock tune. I uploaded Lidios tune from the Xcal2 to the MMs computer.

Now, I can data log with the Xcal2 with out extra wires. In fact, the Xcal2 stays hooked up most of the time.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Trilogy Supercharged Tune

Breadfan,

Sorry, I thought you were overlaying the tune provided on an XCal2 we provided you with in the kit. You scared me! Dicking with the tune can be fatal and I hate to see customers spend all their hard earn money on a mistake.

My recommendation is to use the XCal2. Send it to me and I will have your tune put on the XCal2. Everyone's comments are correct, the XCal2 can be a great tool for future use. We have had customers develop a problem and the XCal2 was great in defining the trouble codes that cause the problem. It makes it easier to work with a customer on the phone if they are experiencing an issue.

Once again, sorry for misreading the note.

Sincerely,

Jerry

No sweat Jerry.

I think I'll do that - is it OK to send as is - i.e. with my stock tune currently saved on the XCal2?

Thanks again! And, confusion aside I do appreciate the warnings, as is said "it's all in the tune" and you have to be careful when folks talk about adjusting the tune.

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Thread Information