Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Encouraging News for Replacement OEM Tires

UPDATE w/ PICS: Encouraging News for Replacement OEM Tires

Yes, I'm still in search of some adequate replacement tires for the stock BFG's; and we all know how difficult it can be to find a good replacement for that unusual rear tire size that only seems to exist with the original BFG's. Well not anymore! I've found that Cooper Tires are now making OEM replacement tires that match the specs of the BFG's and might even have superior performance (if the reviews I've read are true) and at more reasonable prices. They also make the front tire size as well.
    http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Perfo...EON-RS3-A.aspx

I'm gonna be calling some local retailers for their prices on these babies. I've already found them as low as $148 online.

Here are a couple of write-ups on the new Coopers:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-new...-summer-rubber

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...3-s-and-rs3-a/

On a side note: I found some OEM BFG rear tires for sale on ebay. Has anyone had any experience with this seller and his tires? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-16-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Looks like a good all season tire. Has some winter traction capabilities.

However, it doesn't look like it has the molded in bead recesses like the BFG Radial TA. It's hard to tell from the picture.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=55895

I was reading that the stock size tire for the 2013 Police Interceptor sedan is a 245/55-18.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    I was reading that the stock size tire for the 2013 Police Interceptor sedan is a 245/55-18.
    Ohh I hope so! Might bring a few more options for us!
    “The Marines I have seen around the world have
    the cleanest bodies,
    the filthiest minds,
    the highest morale, and
    the lowest morals
    of any group of animals I have ever seen.
    Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps!”
    -Eleanor Roosevelt 1945

If you cant stand behind the troops, then please stand in front of US!

2003 Marauder Silver Birch
    Purchased 06/08/2011

1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car
    104k Original Miles
    Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Yes, I'm still in search of some adequate replacement tires for the stock BFG's; and we all know how difficult it can be to find a good replacement for that unusual rear tire size that only seems to exist with the original BFG's. Well not anymore! I've found that Cooper Tires are now making OEM replacement tires that match the specs of the BFG's and might even have superior performance (if the reviews I've read are true) and at more reasonable prices. They also make the front tire size as well.
    http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Perfo...EON-RS3-A.aspx

I'm gonna be calling some local retailers for their prices on these babies. I've already found them as low as $148 online.

Here are a couple of write-ups on the new Coopers:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-new...-summer-rubber

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...3-s-and-rs3-a/

On a side note: I found some OEM BFG rear tires for sale on ebay. Has anyone had any experience with this seller and his tires? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...Q5fAccessories
    Yes PM me for contact info save a few more bucks
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Cooper RS3A

I found a local independent tire dealer that will install four OEM size Cooper RS3A's for ~$850. They appear to be the best all-season tire for the MM. Locally, Discount Tire won't install what I want, other than OEM BFG's, except for $300 (each) Michelins or Continentals, or some other high priced tire.

I have been going through this "Tires & Wheels" section for days now, and it has become tiresome searching for some new weenies. I probably better just "bite-the-bullet" and go for the Coopers (#4 tire maker in the USA).

---------------------------
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post
    I found a local independent tire dealer that will install four OEM size Cooper RS3A's for ~$850. They appear to be the best all-season tire for the MM. Locally, Discount Tire won't install what I want, other than OEM BFG's, except for $300 (each) Michelins or Continentals, or some other high priced tire.

I have been going through this "Tires & Wheels" section for days now, and it has become tiresome searching for some new weenies. I probably better just "bite-the-bullet" and go for the Coopers (#4 tire maker in the USA).

So, how did this turn out?
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jimlam56 View Post
    So, how did this turn out?
    Huh?...

----
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Huh?...

----
    How did the Cooper tires work out...
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

I am still shopping/looking.

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Just bought a front and rear set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A from treadepot.com. Shipping was fast; got em in just a couple of days (rear tires shipped from GA and front tires from TX). None of my local tire sellers could find any thru their distributors and treadepot.com had them in stock and the cheapest I found on the net plus Cooper is running a $75 rebate when you buy 4 of 'em. I haven't had a chance to get them on the car yet but hope to by this weekend. They look to be pretty good quality stuff just sitting on my carport. I'll try to get some pics of 'em up soon.

______________________________ ________
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Manufacture Date: 3/15/2004
    #2043 of 3214
    #666 of 997 Silver Birch
    Light Flint Interior
    6 CD Changer

I thought musclemerc had a bunch of stock MM tires?

Just bought a front and rear set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A from treadepot.com. Shipping was fast; got em in just a couple of days (rear tires shipped from GA and front tires from TX). None of my local tire sellers could find any thru their distributors and treadepot.com had them in stock and the cheapest I found on the net plus Cooper is running a $75 rebate when you buy 4 of 'em. I haven't had a chance to get them on the car yet but hope to by this weekend. They look to be pretty good quality stuff just sitting on my carport. I'll try to get some pics of 'em up soon.
    I installed a set of the Cooper RS3-A (all season, OEM staggered sizes, $850) yesterday for my OEM wheels from Bell Tire. They were a new design in the first quarter of this year, and seem to be the only recommended all-season replacements made/available, other than the OEM type BFG T/A's. The were ~$100 less expensive than a local Discount Tire dealer! The Cooper rebate ended on July 31. I had been buying from Discount for the last 40+ years.

They had more balance weight on them that I care to see, but seem to ride smoother, and are quiet ("Lifetime" balance included in the price). No idea if the installer tried to rotate before final balance, for lesser weight correction. Perhaps slightly more sidewall bulge than OEM T/A's. eom

----------
    Last edited by GreekGod; 08-06-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: additional comment added

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Please do, I'm almost ready for some new tires. Thanks!
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Unmounted Tires

Here are pictures of the front and rear Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires. Hopefully I'll get 'em installed this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

______________________________ ________
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Manufacture Date: 3/15/2004
    #2043 of 3214
    #666 of 997 Silver Birch
    Light Flint Interior
    6 CD Changer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information