Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wanted: install feedback on SW's entire exhaust system

V band preferable or some kind of means to remove the X.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

A few less pieces would be a good way to improve. As you said Zack if they marked each piece where it met the next it would be easier to get they system where it is suppose to be, but they would not need to do that very much if the system was not nearly 20 separate pieces. The factory complete exhaust system, manifold to tip is only 7 pieces.

Why not build it to more resemble the factory system. Make the header one piece all the way down and use a flange. From the flange make your one piece crossover and mid-section pipe. Mufflers. One piece for each side over-axle and tail.

It might make installation slightly tougher having to lower the axle completely to install the one piece over-axle/tails but it would save all the freaking hassle that we are discussing in this thread.

I hardly ever drive my car since putting the SW kit on because I'm half worried it'll fall off and half annoyed by the off the charts drone. I too installed it myself on a lift and am an experienced tech.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

V band for the win
    These would look nice on Chris curless GNX
    Last edited by Turbov6Bryan; 01-08-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I really think this setup needs Lap Joint Band clamps, vs. the Accuseal Band clamps provided
    Yes! I learned after Sherm's system. And told Merc to order the lap band clamps. Mercs went on smooth with those.

You don't wanna see the ghetto stuff I have holding Sherm's mufflers up with. His popped off on a hard launch at the strip once.
    ~Chris

Did any one else have problems with egr tube connecting. Tube on header was at the wrong angle by about a quarter inch. After long while of on and off testing finally got the two together.
    Curious what others did to get it to work.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

I've always had to lay the egr tube on the ground and stand on it to bend it.
    Then I have to remove the egr, thread it in then bend it over with a bar to get the holes to line up

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Then I have to remove the egr, thread it in then bend it over with a bar to get the holes to line up
    That's the other half of the equation I have to do tomorrow.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    V band for the win
    These would look nice on Chris curless GNX
    This exactly why I built a true 3" stainless steel exhaust with vband clamps through out the entire exhaust, the way it should have been done.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

For the amount they want for a exhaust system, a guy could buy a tig welder, rent a lift, and hack away at some prebent J tubes to make a v band system

And have money left over
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1stMerc View Post
    Did any one else have problems with egr tube connecting. Tube on header was at the wrong angle by about a quarter inch. After long while of on and off testing finally got the two together.
    Curious what others did to get it to work.

Honestly Waymon, mine lined right up. But keep in mind it was the Trilogy one that's flexible. I don't have one with the ProCharger.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Wanted: install feedback on SW's entire exhaust system

Spoke with Robert at Stainless works today and they take this issue serious and whoever has had any trouble with their exhaust fitment to give them a call, they wanna hear everybody's opinion on this matter. We all gota come together and give them a call, even if you had to resolve the problem on your own, it will still makes a big difference so the R&D can finally get this problem solved once and for all.

1800 878 3635 ask for Robert.

Last edited by Chi Stallion; 10-03-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

fergitaboutit

Wow! ... I looked into driving to Cleveland and getting their exhaust/headers when they offered free installation with a system purchase. I saw they sold band clamps for the joints (a very bad idea). V band clamps or ball and cone are to only way to go, unless making a welded joint.

re:
    http://www.spintechmufflers.com/exha.../prod_808.html

My experience with band clamps raised a red flag. They are (at best) a temporary "fix". As others have mentioned, they always loosen up over time, especially with any weight added to the joint from the system. There are band clamps available with windows in it, for tack welding a joint during fitment. About the only time I will ever use them again.

At one time I messaged them for a price on just the 2 1/2" tailpipes. I think they wanted $300, and with the lack of clearance with the OEM pipes to the Watts link, I figured it would not be worth the hassle.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

I think I read the entire thread, and if MM.net is like other forums, I apologize for bringing this back from the dead, but being a new owner, I am trying to do my research on various aftermarket "Improvements."

That said, "Did SW get their issues with the exhaust fixed?"

Perhaps there is a related thread I have yet to read.
    Thanks and again my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by 1968F100 View Post
    I think I read the entire thread, and if MM.net is like other forums, I apologize for bringing this back from the dead, but being a new owner, I am trying to do my research on various aftermarket "Improvements."

That said, "Did SW get their issues with the exhaust fixed?"

Perhaps there is a related thread I have yet to read.
    Thanks and again my apologies.
    They did make some changes after MV14 tour while a members car was there to see the issues..Mostly with some fit/alinment issues. Some dealt with widened rear wheels and metco watts link. They have not changed their clamping systems as far as I know.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Improvements, BUT ...

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    ... They have not changed their clamping systems as far as I know.
    It's good that they address some problem areas, but using band clamps instead of (the far superior) V band clamps and (and/or ball and cone at the collector) is probably because all of the bends and cuts would require a new welding fixture and new programming for their bender.

Also, the v-band clamps could add considerable expense (they are pricey)

=
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information