Thread: specifications of the factory audio system

specifications of the factory audio system

Anyone have a diagram or specs on the factory system? Speaker sizes and how many ohms. Also what is considered what. I know the speakers in the rear deck would be considered the woofers, but dose the car have tweeters or something? Also is it just the rear deck and the four door speakers? is the system the same as the marquie and crown vics?

Basically I'm trying to get accurate information for a future sound system over hall. The stock system just lacks power and I believe once of the rear woofers is blown as it has a lot of rattle sound to it when volume is over about 40%.

Unless I'm mistaken and some of these cars come with the enclosed 4 inch and tweeter components,
    Then their Should be 5x7 (6x8) in the front doors and the same in the rear deck. If your car has the factory sub it has its own enclosure between the full range speakers under the rear deck. It has its own amplifier. The stock full range speakers are powered off the oem radio. If you plan on replacing anything, don't do what most do and buy only aftermarket door and rear deck speakers and expect a drastic improvement. Sure there might be a tweeter in the new speakers but they are nowhere near as efficient as the oem full range speakers. The oem 5x7s are 4 ohms each.

The factory sub can be replaced but unless you find one with the same efficiency and wattage rating that also desires the same size enclosure your factory one came in, you are better off finding an oem or replacing it all together.

A double din sized radio will fit with some minor trimming. Otherwise a dash kit and a single din will do.

May I suggest something I've done to mine and say that sound deadening will make a huge difference if applied properly. These aren't exactly luxurious in the fact that road noise and such are very present. Plus sealing up the doors will add to your mid bass response.

No oem tweeters. All 4 corners are full range. The sub is the only speaker in the car with a crossover.

good info there. I want to replace the headunit to a double (already read a lot in doing that) but then I want to replace all the speakers with something with a little more quality. not sure with what yet but Ill figure it out. Lastly I have a sub of my own that I will put in the car along with everything else. Im an audio guy so Im always looking for the best sounds I can get

I did a couple ten inch subs in a ported box firing through into the cabin. I replaced the seat to a fold down style as to take full advantage of the subs. I couldn't be happier with them. As for the mids, I did a 6 in the door, along with a 3inch mid and 1 inch tweet in some pods on the a pillar. I have no rear fill speakers as I was going for an Sq system and rear fill takes away from imaging and staging.
    I used 3 bulk kits of dynamat as well as a layer of rubber like foam in the front of the cabin. Firing the subs through the front allowed me to use none in the trunk and still have zero annoying rattles .

Good luck with your system. I spent a long time planning and couldn't be happier.

I was a master installer for 19 years and used my Marauder as a store showcase vehicle. It pretty much was used for shows and events and when the store closed in 2008, the car stayed with me. I would be happy to give tips and tricks to anybody that needs them
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    I was a master installer for 19 years and used my Marauder as a store showcase vehicle. It pretty much was used for shows and events and when the store closed in 2008, the car stayed with me. I would be happy to give tips and tricks to anybody that needs them
    15 years master mecp Installer here too! Nice meeting other installers who have the same car passions.
    I miss the industry but online shopping killed our store.

Well then between you two. I'm basically looking for good all around system for EDM and rock music. Kind of two different worlds but it's my thing. Originally I was hoping to do the infinity series of either the Primus or the reference, but I know some of those come with individual tweeters. Since I'm not used to a limitation like this car has, what would be best? 2 way or just normal component. Also what is best for the rear deck since those are still only 6" and though classified as woofer, they seem to be too small to actually act as one. Also what's the factory sub like? Ive noticed the amp under the rear deck in the trunk but I thought that was for the 2 rear deck speakers?

Making the same mistake?

Guys, I'm in the middle of a similar situation. My stock system sounds awful, like the sound is coming from a well, or maybe from a different room. I wanted to keep the factory look, so I'm doing exactly what Mackdombles said not to do - leaving the factory head unit and replacing the four factory speakers, in the stock locations, with aftermarkets. They are nice speakers, I went with JBLs. Club 8620s in the front and GTO 8629s in the rear.
    This forum is outstanding, and I've answered dozens of questions about my new '04 DTR just by searching and reading. Too bad I didn't see this thread soon enough!
    Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted, even if I end up in the situation Mr. Mackdombles warned us about. So look for more soon - I already have the fronts changed out. Only trouble I ran into was that the factory bolts were too long and had to find shorter fasteners. Used #6 x 1/2 long SS sheet metal screws left over from a Trunk Organizer refurb.
    If you change out the door factory speakers, watch the fastener length closely. It is not all that obvious of a problem when you use the factory bolts; you can easily break some plastic. I was lucky and caught it in time.

Thread Information