Thread: Armor All causing damage?

Armor All causing damage?

First of all I am forbidden to post work pictures on line. So that means no pictures of this little issue. About this time last year my company bought a Cat 992 loader. It's a big bad tough piece of equipment that has served us well. The issue is with the plastic interior, it's cracking, braking, and falling apart. The first piece was the dash where the key goes. Catipliler didn't bat an eye. They came out took some pictures, ordered the part, came back and replaced it, no problem. Not long after that we noticed other pieces cracked and broken. Then the key broke out again. Now Cat thinks we're abusing the thing or our lots too rough or the cab mounts aren't the right ones, blah blah blah. I talked to my inside guy at Cat, he said he couldn't find anything about this problem any where in Cat's network. A trainer for Cat came by to check in on us and we mentioned the problem to him. He hadn't heard of any problems like this either. About 2 months later we get a call "They're come to pick the Cat up use the back up loader." They took it to the dealer replaced the interior and then said, "It's the plastic compound the interior's made out of, and Armor Alling it cause it to deteriorate." Don't use Armor All, or window cleaner on it. I have never heard of this before and just don't think this is even possible. I though Armor All and those type of products had the opposite effect on plastic.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

I have heard that before about Armor-All and other compounds as well, especially on parts that get direct sun, but I don't know if it is true or not.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Not a fan of Armor All. I use strictly professional wash/wax/detail products and always heard that silicone based dressings should be used. Logic would dictate that petroleum based cleaners/dressings would interact with plastic & rubber and UV exposure would be detrimental. This sounds logical because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

I used to use Armor-all back in the 80s and started seeing the damage it was doing which is exactly what you were describing. I've seen vinyl tops and dashboards dry out and crack badly. Once I figured out what caused it I never used it again. I'm actually surprised that it's still around.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Armor All is garbage.

Yes, AA is bad, don't use it. It caused premature aging and actually Drys products out.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Ok then, what do y'all us? Marty I've seen your cars and the cars that come out of your shop. I'm listening to want you have to say.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Blog Entries
    Aerospace 303

I heard the same thing about AA many years ago.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy Marq View Post
    Ok then, what do y'all us? Marty I've seen your cars and the cars that come out of your shop. I'm listening to want you have to say.
    You're pulling the solvents out if the plastic. If try Vinylex.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy Marq View Post
    I like the natural look as it came from the factory...I don't use any "shine" product on the interior, only the tires. I use Lexol cleaner and protectant on the leather seats. Having a shiny dashboard and the sun reflecting it into the windshield is another reason not to use anything on dash IMHO.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    I used to use Armor-all back in the 80s and started seeing the damage it was doing which is exactly what you were describing. I've seen vinyl tops and dashboards dry out and crack badly. Once I figured out what caused it I never used it again. I'm actually surprised that it's still around.
    I also witnessed this problem ,while at Ford. The wash rack crew stopped using it and switched to "pro automotive supply "products [don't know if they are still around}.
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

Thread Information