Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cut rear cats and gutted front cats!

cut rear cats and gutted front cats!

i had rear cats cut off and i have two chamber flowmaster mufflers with resonate delete tips it sounded good other than the loud drone at around 2200 rpms. not to loud but noticable.i couldnt help myself being a mustang owner also with off road x pipes and one with off road h pipe i gutted front convertors to see what it sounded like. i love the sound when reving car up in park it seems to have a little more of a throaty sound to it now i have had alot of compliments. i just wish there was a way to keep the same loudness and get rid of the resonating sound at that certain rpm.i dont like that even though my wife loves that sound she rides around trying to make it sound like that.lol. i really would like to put headers on it but i just cant afford to spend 1800 dollars on exhaust system. is there any alternative to headers and that high cost like ordering long tubes or short tubes for a cobra mustang. i really just need headers cheap i can have custom exhaust pipe built for ther car. does dr or kooks offer there longtubes cheaper in a non ceramic coating????????????????

I have not cats at all with the Kooks full system, and to keep the computer under control I have O2 eliminators plugged in. I also have res. delete tips. My tips are extended about an inch out. Not noticible to the eye but considerable less drone to the ear. Also I run Super 40s instead of the original 40. same sound outside with less resonance inside the car. I have a 1990 Mustang Gt that I run original 40s on but I didn't want the noise inside the Marauder.

Quote Originally Posted by jay03merc
    i just wish there was a way to keep the same loudness and get rid of the resonating sound at that certain rpm.i dont like that even though my wife loves that sound she rides around trying to make it sound like that.lol.
    It's the same vibration causing both.

I disagree with "no cats" or cutting them up inside. You don't gain anything from it, and you stand to face a world of hurt and may wind up spending more money.

Federal law requires cats, and functional cats. State laws on emmissions vary. Some states have none at all, while others (like Illinois) have severe penalties, including vehicle seizure. In the states with laws, they could even reach into the repair shop, and levy a fine against the wrench working on a car without cats, even if he's doing a brake job.

Keep this in mind when traveling on vacation. You may need a repair and won't get any service until you restore the required components.

Those of us who have bought the kits offered here (Kook's-Reinhart), get new high flow cats in the deal, as well as an X-pipe. This is a good deal, and the way to go. The laws don't require cats to be OEM, and the cats on the market as "high flow" are indeed an improvement over the OEM. Thus, it just doesn't make any sense to me, to take the risk.

The penalties clearly outweigh the gains, OTOH, nothing is illegal until you get caught.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.

ford racing has a set of cobra headers from the 99-01 cobra thats a perfect fit for the marauder and a improvement on performance and airflow
    VORTECH A2A supercharger ,accufab 60mm throttle body,all fluids royal purple,cobra headers and exhaust by todd at Grands,410 gears rebuilt rearend(eaton), 3600 high stall converter,rebuilt transmission by Team Ford of marietta rear girdle,powerslot cryo disc, and stainless steel lines from dennis and tuned by aric at INJECTED INGINEERING

Quote Originally Posted by bigmerc'03
    ford racing has a set of cobra headers from the 99-01 cobra thats a perfect fit for the marauder and a improvement on performance and airflow
    Good advice, thank you. But, short on detail, why make us hunt for that?

On page 87 of the 2006 Ford Racing catalogue, FRP offers a chart of which "shorty header" fits what application, from '86 Mustangs to '05 F-250s.

If you're inclined, the shortys you want to consider on this list, is part number M-9430-E464 ($350.), or, M-9430-E465 ($450.), the difference being ceramic coating (which would not be cheaper aftermarket).

Added word of caution here, none of the "shorty" headers from any of the aftermarket suppliers mate up to the stock Marauder exhaust pipe. No matter what you choose, custom exhaust pipes, (leading to cats or not) will require custom exhaust pipes, and anything you want after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I disagree with "no cats" or cutting them up inside. You don't gain anything from it, and you stand to face a world of hurt and may wind up spending more money.

Federal law requires cats, and functional cats. State laws on emmissions vary. Some states have none at all, while others (like Illinois) have severe penalties, including vehicle seizure. In the states with laws, they could even reach into the repair shop, and levy a fine against the wrench working on a car without cats, even if he's doing a brake job.

Keep this in mind when traveling on vacation. You may need a repair and won't get any service until you restore the required components.

Those of us who have bought the kits offered here (Kook's-Reinhart), get new high flow cats in the deal, as well as an X-pipe. This is a good deal, and the way to go. The laws don't require cats to be OEM, and the cats on the market as "high flow" are indeed an improvement over the OEM. Thus, it just doesn't make any sense to me, to take the risk.

The penalties clearly outweigh the gains, OTOH, nothing is illegal until you get caught.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.
    I asked this before. Is it illegal to remove one pair of cats? I plan on doing that eventually. I'd really like to know, thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenJ
    I asked this before. Is it illegal to remove one pair of cats? I plan on doing that eventually. I'd really like to know, thanks in advance.
    Off the top of my head, I'd say no. But, the second set is there for a reason, I'm sure. The end result may be a rise in emissions and if you're in a testing State, you may fail the test. Wish I had a better answer, but I do not.

BTW...Why remove just the two rears? What do you gain?

Technically...it is against Federal Law to remove factory Catalytic Converters before 8 years/80,000 miles unless they are damaged externally or internally to make them non-effective. This includes replacement by "High-Flow" CATs.

Mine look damaged to me.
    2003 300A Black MM
    3.73's, 3500 PI, T64e at 9.5 PSI
    Belts are for washing machines.
    Theme song (s) : Back in Black & Thunderstruck!!

Ride it like a Ford.!!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not a gynecologist....but I'll take a look at it.

I'm not sure of what vehicle model year and up they start out but I know when I had my 2001 focus they just plugged into my OBD-II plug and 20 secs later they handed me my pass sheet and that was it. I know they just run a scan to make sure everything is plugged it and sends an OK feedback. I haven't gone through emissions yet for the Marauder but I'm sure it will be due the end of next year and I'll have a full exhaust system on so we will see what happens.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven
    I'm not sure of what vehicle model year and up they start out but I know when I had my 2001 focus they just plugged into my OBD-II plug and 20 secs later they handed me my pass sheet and that was it. I know they just run a scan to make sure everything is plugged it and sends an OK feedback. I haven't gone through emissions yet for the Marauder but I'm sure it will be due the end of next year and I'll have a full exhaust system on so we will see what happens.
    Illinois just recently moved up to a dyno system. It rises up from under the car lifting the drive wheels on rollers. They place sensors on the hood, plug into the OBDII port, and use a tail pipe sniffer while running the car up to 40 MPH. It doesn't take long, and I think they are only checking emissions from "normal" standing start acceleration.

You can test and fail 3X, but if you can show attempts to repair up to 500 dollars, and it doesn't fix the problem, they give you a pass. Oddly enough (but not for state government) AWD and SUVs get nothing more than a gas cap check. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Illinois just recently moved up to a dyno system. It rises up from under the car lifting the drive wheels on rollers. They place sensors on the hood, plug into the OBDII port, and use a tail pipe sniffer while running the car up to 40 MPH. It doesn't take long, and I think they are only checking emissions from "normal" standing start acceleration.

You can test and fail 3X, but if you can show attempts to repair up to 500 dollars, and it doesn't fix the problem, they give you a pass. Oddly enough (but not for state government) AWD and SUVs get nothing more than a gas cap check. Go figure...
    Maryland has a similar system. With OBD II, they simply plug into the computer and check for codes. No codes? Your done!

My 89 F250 has to run the "dyno".

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

[QUOTE=DEFYANT]Maryland has a similar system. With OBD II, they simply plug into the computer and check for codes. No codes? Your done!
    [QUOTE]
    North Carolina has the same testing. No codes and you pass unless you have less than 100 miles after any codes have been cleared.

Big D's Merc Guest
    SO is there a way to get rid of the cats and not throw engine codes? a buddy of mine cut his cats off his 01 Vic and it has codes and only gets about 200 miles to a tank of gas. I wanna run a new exhaust system on mine but want to do away with the cats. But I don't want codes and poor gas mileage. On my 00 SS Camaro I had o2 sims on it till I got them deleted out of the computer. Didn't know if there is something like that for the FOrds and Mercs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information