Thread: Rack and pinion

Rack and pinion

Does anybody know if marauders have a different rack and pinion than a regular marquis? Had to have mine replaced, and it now feels twice as easy and just feels weird now, like I can feel more bumps from the road thru the wheel... I checked in AutoZone, it shows they have the same part number. .

Quote Originally Posted by dustybo83 View Post
    Does anybody know if marauders have a different rack and pinion than a regular marquis? Had to have mine replaced, and it now feels twice as easy and just feels weird now, like I can feel more bumps from the road thru the wheel... I checked in AutoZone, it shows they have the same part number. .
    Your replacement probably doesn't have the variable assist.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

How would I go about checking that? I had the work done for me at a local shop. Are there certain years of panther bodies that have them or is that marauder specific?

Quote Originally Posted by dustybo83 View Post
    How would I go about checking that? I had the work done for me at a local shop. Are there certain years of panther bodies that have them or is that marauder specific?
    Look on the drivers side of the rack. There should be a valve with an electrical connection.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Okay, thanks!

The original rack part numbers were different between a Marauder and CV/GM. Sadly I do not have them in front of me but this topic came up in an argument years ago with friends and I went around looking for evidence.

I think any PN you find on a dealer site today will be a reman PN which will cross to all panthers.

Edit, this isn't the original PN but it's as close as I'll find in 30 seconds on google.

3W1Z-3504-GARM

This one is a reman PN from motorcraft that says 03/04 Marauder only, as seen here on Tasca.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...r-3w1z3504garm

I always thought the VAPS on the Marauder rack was tuned to provide heavier steering compared to a CV/GM which would explain the reason for a different part number (and why your steering feels super light now). Not 100% sure if that is correct though. You could try swapping the VAPS valve from your old rack onto the new one and see if it makes a change.
    Last edited by offroadkarter; 02-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Lightbulb

*.attachment

NOTE: Excerpted from the parts list at - Documents: Mercury Marauder ««« -click-

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    The original rack part numbers were different between a Marauder and CV/GM. Sadly I do not have them in front of me but this topic came up in an argument years ago with friends and I went around looking for evidence.

I think any PN you find on a dealer site today will be a reman PN which will cross to all panthers.

Edit, this isn't the original PN but it's as close as I'll find in 30 seconds on google.

3W1Z-3504-GARM

This one is a reman PN from motorcraft that says 03/04 Marauder only, as seen here on Tasca.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...r-3w1z3504garm

I always thought the VAPS on the Marauder rack was tuned to provide heavier steering compared to a CV/GM which would explain the reason for a different part number (and why your steering feels super light now). Not 100% sure if that is correct though. You could try swapping the VAPS valve from your old rack onto the new one and see if it makes a change.
    VAPS made the steering lighter at low speeds, heavier at higher speeds.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    VAPS made the steering lighter at low speeds, heavier at higher speeds.
    I remember being able to spin the steering wheel in my friends 06 vic at parking lot speeds with one finger, I would wager the VAPS is different enough to affect the overall assist ratio.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

Ratios and lock to lock appear to be different between the MM and MGM but the MM and CV appear to be the same but I am getting this info from different Google searches thus different sources:

MM - 2.28 lock to lock and 18.5 ratio
    MGM - 3.4 lock to lock and 16.4 ratio
    CV - 2.92 lock to lock and 18.5 ratio (P71's appear to be the same)

I am pretty sure that this information is in alignment and frame manuals so if you can find a Ford body shop willing to let you dig through theirs that would be 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    Ratios and lock to lock appear to be different between the MM and MGM but the MM and CV appear to be the same but I am getting this info from different Google searches thus different sources:

MM - 2.28 lock to lock and 18.5 ratio
    MGM - 3.4 lock to lock and 16.4 ratio
    CV - 2.92 lock to lock and 18.5 ratio (P71's appear to be the same)

I am pretty sure that this information is in alignment and frame manuals so if you can find a Ford body shop willing to let you dig through theirs that would be 100% accurate.
    16.4 is the ratio for the old steering gear cars

2063/3214

5377/7838

Was running various year/model configurations through nspa, every thing I looked up showed with or w/o Evo. But all racks had evo just whether or not it came with the valve itself. Was there any usable rack that fits the marauder that doesn't use the valve at all?
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    1.56 60' 6.80 1/8 @ 104 mph 10.5 1/4 @129 mph
    #BSTDMRC #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

They are definitely different.
    The wiring is different and shouldn’t match up.
    I had to purchase a remanufactured unit from Florida.

Castine, Maine & Brooklyn, NY & Walton, NY
    Who can rebuild the original?

Thread Information