Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not Running Right

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    It finally threw a code. P0357. So I looked at cylinder #7 and the connector tab must have broken when I changed coils or plugs, so it wasn't making a good connection. I put a tie wrap around it to keep it connected. Took it for a drive and it's still cutting out from time to time. I'll check the other connectors tomorrow evening. I assume I can buy new coil connectors, but how much of a pain are they to change? Do I need to cut and solder them?
    The replacement plastic end clip with 2 wires installed are $24.00 each at napa last time I checked. Ask someone here if they have some used ones, then unpin and repin so it looks oem

I had some but can't find them, id give them to you
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

I've had like three with zip ties for years because lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I used some black silicone. No issues.

It's got to be something other than electrical. Tonight I removed each coil and put dielectric grease on both ends of the Granitelli COP connectors and the electrical connection to the coil. I tightened the end of the COP connector that connects to the spark plug and i put a tie wrap around each coil to hold the electrical connector to the coil whether it needed it or not. Took it out for a drive and as the rpm climbs in first or second gear, it gets to about 4000 then seems to run on 7 cylinders. And sometimes under a load like in 4th gear at low RPM while accelerating hard just short of kick down.

I did clean the MAF and I added a can of Sea Foam a while back when the problem first started thinking it might be a plugged injector. Maybe I'll try another can.

I know the alternator cuts out at WOT. Is it possible the fuel pump is weak and when the voltage drops, the fuel pressure drops? Or is there a voltage regulator on the pump?

No check engine light since it threw a P0357 code due to a loose electrical connector on #7 cylinder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Curt

ive read many complaints of granetelli cops over the years. not saying that is issue.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I replaced the Granitelli coils with new Motorcraft coils. I'm just using the Granitelli coil connectors, which to me seem a lot better than the factory ball point pen type coil springs.

Post 28

Have you data logged the fuel pump duty cycle and the fuel pressure yet during an episode?

I have never seen an intermittent bad pump throw a code.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    I replaced the Granitelli coils with new Motorcraft coils. I'm just using the Granitelli coil connectors, which to me seem a lot better than the factory ball point pen type coil springs.
    my mistake, read it wrong..

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Post 28

Have you data logged the fuel pump duty cycle and the fuel pressure yet during an episode?

I have never seen an intermittent bad pump throw a code.

I have an SCT Flash tuner. It's quite old. Probably from 2006 or 2007. I've never data logged with it. I can check the model number tonight.

I took it for a drive yesterday and I was in OD art about 45 mph. I slowly pressed the go pedal just shy of kick down and it started bucking. So I think it still an ignition issue even though I replaced spark plugs and coils. But at higher rpm and light throttle, such as sin second gear around 4000-5000 rpm, it runs strong, but then at WOT, it seems like it's running on 7 cylinders.

I have the Granitelli coil connectors. Is it possible one of those are bad? I don't see how because they are very sturdy and well built.

do you have a tune? bucking can also be torque converter shudder,factory tune for shifting is terrible up and down, when was the last trans service?

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Are ALL the low voltage plugs completely seat on the coils???

Mine did that very thing when one of the locking clips was broken!!
    No Marauder

From post #34.

I tightened the end of the COP connector that connects to the spark plug and i put a tie wrap around each coil to hold the electrical connector to the coil whether it needed it or not.

One of our service technician's suggested I check or replace the engine ground strap. He said his F150 had a similar issue and that Ford injectors fire on breaking the ground not on voltage. I looked briefly today and didn't see it. Can someone tell me where the ground strap is?

Wondering if I should buy a new set of Granitelli Coil on Plug connectors.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grn-28-1705s
    Last edited by crouse; 03-14-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Did you ever check the #7 injector clip or trace the wiring on either one for chaffing?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information