Thread: Steering column harness

Steering column harness

Does anybody know which wire from this harness controls the horn? Or the cruise control? Also, is the dark blue wire supposed to splice into two wires?

In the second pic. Also down by the steering column. Does anyone know where that all white wire goes. It was cut and just loose ever since i bought the car.
    Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by burkem View Post
    Does anybody know which wire from this harness controls the horn? Or the cruise control? Also, is the dark blue wire supposed to splice into two wires?
    From the wiring diagram, it looks like all three of your questions have the same answer...the dark blue one. It does splice into two other DB wires...one to the LCM and one to the BJB.
    In the second pic. Also down by the steering column. Does anyone know where that all white wire goes. It was cut and just loose ever since i bought the car.
    Looks like someone used a Scotchlok to splice into a White/Yellow wire. Just remove the Scotchlok and the severed wire.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

So that harness with the white and the white/yellow wire isnt factory? The white/yellow should just be a straight wire? I wasnt sure if the loose white wire was a ground or not.

Well you were right about the second picture for sure. I looked closer and it said 3M on it. I will remove it no problem.
    Another question is, what is the black and pink wire coming from the harness in the first pic lead to? I am trying to find the problem behind why my cruise control and horn neither work. So far I have replaced the clockspring, checked every fuse and relay humanly possible, and I have tested the cruise control servo by installing one from another marauder. When I tried to replace the relay, I accidentally pulled the plastic cover off of the top and triggered the relay. When I did this, the horn blew. I assume this means that I have power at the relay? Correct me if Im wrong. This is driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by burkem View Post
    what is the black and pink wire coming from the harness in the first pic lead to?
    It appears that that connector is number C218a and if so, the BK/PK wire is the Key Warning Switch Input.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

As to your horn and speed control issue, according to the wiring diagram it's a strange setup where they are actually tied together internally in the speed control switch in the steering wheel and use some common signals from the speed control actuator. The signalling is via switching of various values of resistance to tell the actuator whether to turn speed control on or off, and set/coast/resume. It appears the horn and speed control switches are both fed by pin 5 of connector C122 at the actuator which is a LB/BK wire.

If you think this all SOUNDS confusing, trying to make sense of the diagram, which is spread out over 3 pages, is worse.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Can I get a copy of said diagram? I am trying to retrofit a Marauder wheel and clock spring into my P71. Same years but color codes seem different.

2003 CVPI former Connecticut State Police Supervisor vehicle. 160,000 miles
    Upgrades: 3.55 Posi, 200amp alternator and new decoupler, lighting relay mod, KYBs in the rear, LTC leather rear seats, 70mm FoMoCo throttle body, and MZT mod with MPT custom tunes.
    DOHC swap to come! http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...3076313&page=1

****************************** ****************************** *********************fauxraude r thread************************ ****************************** ****************************** **
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    ****************************** ****************************** *********************fauxraude r thread************************ ****************************** ****************************** **

Not a Fauxrauder... just a custom Vic using FoMoCo parts.
    Last edited by maximusslade; 03-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Upgrades: 3.55 Posi, 200amp alternator and new decoupler, lighting relay mod, KYBs in the rear, LTC leather rear seats, 70mm FoMoCo throttle body, and MZT mod with MPT custom tunes.

I replied using Marauder pinouts and wiring information for the 2003/04 but can't guarantee anything if you're transplanting parts and cross-installing different years. As this is a Marauder forum I have no trouble with assistance. After the extensive mods your police car has been through, I don't want to be the guy in there chasing wires.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    I replied using Marauder pinouts and wiring information for the 2003/04 but can't guarantee anything if you're transplanting parts and cross-installing different years. As this is a Marauder forum I have no trouble with assistance. After the extensive mods your police car has been through, I don't want to be the guy in there chasing wires.
    You did? I don't see them. Broken link or another post?

As for chasing wires, lucky for you, that is my job.

Here's the biggest issue I am running into. The p71 has two sensors for the airbag. The Marauder clock spring only has one connector for one airbag sensor. The P71 has two wires going to the horn, the Marauder apparantly has three. I'd also like to see a drawing to make sure the connector pinouts are correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I just found part of my issue. It would appear that the supposed Marauder wheel and clock spring I thought I had was in fact from an '01 or so MGM. So it looks like, one way or another, I am shopping for a new clock spring.

Thread Information