Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 5.4 experts out there

Any 5.4 experts out there

My wife's 2000 5.4 is leaking at the intake. Quick research indicates not a gasket, but a new intake?

Leaking between the aluminum and plastic?

What's the most likely issue?
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Correct. Very very common. A little piece of plastic breaks off underneath and allows the gasket to slip. Dorman makes a better replacement and comes with the gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Correct. Very very common. A little piece of plastic breaks off underneath and allows the gasket to slip. Dorman makes a better replacement and comes with the gaskets.

I'll second that.

My 2001 MGM still has the full plastic intake manifold. Behind where the alternator bracket mounts to the intake and right at the temperature sensor I have two cracks. I purchased the new intake but did not have time to put it on so I just used epoxy as a temporary fix. That Dorman intake is really the way to go. They have certainly improved the factory design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. $200 at Auto Zone and a Saturday should take care of it.
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.

Bought 6 June 2002

This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Thanks guys. $200 at Auto Zone and a Saturday should take care of it.
    And that ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by 01MercGMLS View Post
    I'll second that.

My 2001 MGM still has the full plastic intake manifold. Behind where the alternator bracket mounts to the intake and right at the temperature sensor I have two cracks. I purchased the new intake but did not have time to put it on so I just used epoxy as a temporary fix. That Dorman intake is really the way to go. They have certainly improved the factory design.

My 05 GM had the same issues....... I put a P-51 intake on it. LOL
    SEMPER FI From York, Pa

Bought a Dorman intake (Autozone Duralast branded) today. Might be a couple of weeks before I can put it on.

The fact that they had one on the shelf indicates it happens frequently.
    Last edited by kirk; 01-09-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Bought 6 June 2002

This---^

That was the same thing I thought when I started doing research on mine. It's utterly shocking when you go to a salvage yard and look at the panther cars. That's where I got my replacement intake and it wasn't hard to find. Actually an original plastic intake would be the hard one to find. All but 2 of the cars there had the Dorman intake and they had TONS of panthers.

There was a class action law suit against Ford Motor Company about this issue. Not sure what models were included but the last day to file a claim was sometime in 2006. So much for that.

Bought a Dorman intake (Autozone Duralast branded) today. Might be a couple of weeks before I can put it on.

Worse yet is they stock the $500.00 fuel injection spider assembly for GM’s 4.3 thru 5.7’s too!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Worse yet is they stock the $500.00 fuel injection spider assembly for GM’s 4.3 thru 5.7’s too!

That's too funny, I've never seen one fail!

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    That's too funny, I've never seen one fail!

Seriously? I believe I’ve done four now.
    The poppets are known for sticking wide open causing long delayed starts and cylinder flooding ultimately causing a no start.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Seriously? I believe I’ve done four now.
    The poppets are known for sticking wide open causing long delayed starts and cylinder flooding ultimately causing a no start.

Well I learned something today, good to know.

With all the 4.3 V6 S10 p/u's, Blazers & Astrovans I've worked on (many with high miles) over all these years, never ran in to it.

Thanks Bob.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Ive changed my fair share of injector spiders on the 5.7s on suburbans and tahoes in my day. The cylinders usually fill up with fuel and require you to remove all the plugs and spin it over to get the fuel out. The first time I did one was on my bosses truck and the engine hydro locked after I had it all buttoned up and went to start it. I remember my sphincter was swollen shut til I heard it running actually run I was hoping and praying it didn't bend a rod and was half expecting it to hang a rod out the block.

The plastic intakes are pretty common here too. In fact there is quite a few that still make it to us with stock plastic intakes.

A little more help gang

I got this swapped yesterday/today
    All coils and injectors went in where they came out except that I replaced #5 injector
    Everything back together, started up and out for a test drive and warm up
    Runs great, no visible leaks, except it idles like crap at about 500 RPM

Throws 3 codes, p1000, p1131, p1151 - lean on 1 & 2

I cleaned the head surfaces, don't see any obvious issues, all vacuum lines accounted for, torqued per instructions

2000 Expedition 2WD 174k
    Showing it's age, but is solid and ran well Friday

Any thoughs?

Bought 6 June 2002

I would just go back thru all electrical connections and make sure they are fully clicked on and all vacuum lines, intake boot, and EGR pipe is fully seated. I’m sure it something simple.

Twice now I’ve had Fords act up because of electrical connections not fully seated. Once an injector, the other was A/C. They seem to be quite picky about being clicked fully.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information