Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4R70W Transmissions, My Experience & Thoughts with them...

Talking Applase X 8

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    What IS that^^^
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Randy@SuttonHP Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Lidio! Great post

Randy

Response from Jerry Barnes

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have read all the current posts on this subject and have a few comments:

Both of our cars have been running great without any transmission problems! And as Lidio explained we have only made minor accumulator changes on Trilogy #1 to get a firmer 1-2 shift. No biggie! Trilogy #2 is completely untouched and runs great after Many beatings!

As a responsible member of this site, I think it is all of our responsibilities to share our experiences to save people problems and money. I have seen a lot of stories that claim you need to buy this gadget or that gadget. With no real data or real world experience to back up the need for the expense.

An opinion. I do not think you need to completely rebuild you transmission on the MM. It's great, go use it! I personally spoke to the engineer at Ford responsible for the MM transmission and he told me, off the record, that the transmission should last 70-80 thousand miles, minimum, with a supercharged engine at our boost level. You do not need a transmission cooler in my opinion, our temperatures have always been in the acceptable range as Lidio stated. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Another opinion. I do not think you need to replace your drive shaft. We have driven our cars to the limits many times with NO PROBLEMS. If you are frequently driving your car over 140 mph, I want to come live where you live! SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Another opinion. We have beat the piss out of both of our cars and upon inspection we have found NO UNUSUAL WEAR on the rear axle! We have recently gone to a 4:10 on Trilogy #1 and still no problems. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Another opinion. I do not think it is worth the money to buy new Denso plugs or new thermostat, etc. If it gives your mental pleasure, do it! Otherwise I think you may be wasting your money.

Another opinion. A better chip is definately worth the money. A 4:10 with a better chip is definately worth the money. 4:10's without a chip may not be worth the money.

Another opinion. Wider wheels and tires after you supercharge your car IS DEFINATELY WORTH THE MONEY!

All other things you want to do to your car are to personalize it and that's always fun!

I agree with Lidio and Bill about their recommendations. They have always advised us wisely and I respect their judgement. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to call one of the knowledgeable people on this site. I don't have all the answers, but I usually know where to go get the right answers or how to get in touch with people who have the right answers.

Just one persons opinions, take it for what it's worth. But, don't spend money if you don't get real value for your dollar!

Thanks,

Jerry
    This is a great site with a lot of good people using it! Don't be afraid to ask questions before you spend your hard earned money!

Thanks JERRY, we all appreciate the
    good, honest, solid advice.
    Hope to have my "coins"
    ready this summer for my blower!

Gotta Love It
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

Blog Entries
    Per Jerry - "You do not need a transmission cooler in my opinion, our temperatures have always been in the acceptable range as Lidio stated. SAVE YOUR MONEY!"

Per Lidio - "I’d say with a smaller/loser converter which will loose some capacity and run a hotter from greater slippage, a deeper pan and even larger external cooler would be some thing to consider."

Just to point out some are going with a smaller/loser converter.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Can someone clear this up for me ??
    I've been reading some of the threads on the transmission in the 04 MM and there was some discussion that the 04 was to have the 4R75W , but that some may still have the 4R70W, which was the 03 tranny.
    I was concerned with my 04 ( build date 10/2/03 ) so I checked the door label, and per the manual, there is a transmission code letter.
    In the book, if there is a "U" code, it is the 4R70W 4-speed overdrive. The label on mine is an "R"code, and the "R" references a 5-speed overdrive ( MTX75) FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MANUAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Barnes
    Another opinion. I do not think you need to replace your drive shaft. We have driven our cars to the limits many times with NO PROBLEMS. If you are frequently driving your car over 140 mph, I want to come live where you live! SAVE YOUR MONEY!

THIS IS EXCELLENT ADVICE PEOPLE!!!! WHEN I INSTALLED THE 4.10 GEARS IN MY MM, I TOOK IT UP TO 120 MPH A NUMBER OF TIMES LATE AT NIGHT ON AN EMPTY HIGHWAY SEVERAL DIFFERENT DAYS, AND THERE WAS ABSOLUTLEY NO VIBRATIONS AT ALL. IT WAS ONLY WHEN I INSTALLED THE 4.56 GEARS THAT THE VIBRATIONS WERE IMMEDITELY NOTICEABLE, AND THAT WAS AT 90MPH. AND LET ME TELL YOU, IT ISN'T SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE TO LISTEN HARD FOR. IT'S VERY OBVIOUS. AND SINCE I'M THE ONLY ONE ON THIS ENTIRE BOARD WHO HAS THE 4.56 GEARS ON HIS MARAUDER, THEN UNLESS YOU GO AS EXTREME AS I HAVE BY USING THE 4.56 RATIO, THEN YOU DON'T NEED THESE EXPENSIVE DRIVSHAFTS.

Another opinion. A better chip is definately worth the money. A 4:10 with a better chip is definately worth the money. 4:10's without a chip may not be worth the money.

AGAIN, THIS IS OUTSTANDING AND HONEST ADVICE THAT JERRY IS GIVING!!!!!! IN ADDITION TO BEING THE ONLY ONE ON THIS BOARD WHO HAS INSTALLED 4.56 GEARS IN HIS MARAUDER, I'M ALSO THE ONLY MEMBER HERE WHO HAS AT ONE TIME INSTALLED 4.10 GEARS BEFORE INSTALLING THE CHIP OR ANY OTHER MODIFICATION FOR THAT MATTER. AND LET ME TELL YOU AS I TRIED TO TELL EVERYONE ON HERE LAST YEAR, THE 4.10 GEARS ALONE AND BY THEMSELVES DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!! MY ET'S W/THE 4.10'S WERE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THEY WERE W/THE 3.55 GEARS, AS WERE MY 0-60 TIMES ALSO. UNTIL I THEN INSTALLED THE DENNIS REINHART CHIP. I BELIEVE IT'S BECAUSE THE CAR'S COMPUTER FACTORY SETTINGS WILL NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANY OTHER GEAR RATIO UNTIL YOU CHANGE THOSE SETTINGS W/A CHIP.

Another opinion. Wider wheels and tires after you supercharge your car IS DEFINATELY WORTH THE MONEY!

SO FAR, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD BY EVERY OWNER OF A SUPERCHARGED MARAUDER WHO I'VE ASKED OVER THE TELEPHONE, IN WRITING, AND EHO I'VE MET IN PERSON.

This is a great site with a lot of good people using it! Don't be afraid to ask questions before you spend your hard earned money!

I FULLY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE BOTH JERRY AND LIDIO FOR GIVING THE GREAT AND HONEST ADVICE THAT THEY BOTH HAVE IN THIS THREAD. IT'S SO DIFFICULT THESE DAYS TO FIND BUSINESS MEN IN THIS WORLD WHO ARE HONEST, AND WHO ARE NOT MERELY LOOKING TO TAKE YOUR MONEY EVERY CHANCE THEY GET FOR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT SERVE ONLY TO LINE THEIR OWN POCKETS AND DO NOTHING MORE THAN THAT. JERRY, AND LIDIO, THANKYOU BOTH SO MUCH FOR BEING HONEST, AND FOR HAVING THE INTEGRITY THAT YOU BOTH DO. YOU'VE BOTH EARNED MY RESPECT!!!
    Last edited by BillyGman; 03-18-2004 at 12:02 PM.

This is a beautiful article!!! As I am interested in both a j-mod and lidio tune for my next mods! How come we never get any lidio posts on here anymore and also I'm in south fort myers, fl does anyone know of someone beside Claude who I haven't asked yet that can perform a j-mod on my tranny for a fair price? Thanks in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by Ktorres1 View Post
    How come we never get any lidio posts on here anymore ...
    You missed the divorce...
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Great in depth and honest report from the past! I'm lucky, I can stop by Lidio's any time.

Lucky you are and also what divorce??

Quote Originally Posted by FordNut View Post
    You missed the divorce...
    You can't divorce cars silly! Oh! My bad!
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by 03SILVERSTREAK View Post

A legend quote a True Ride can not be no Rider without a Marauder
    Finally Eatonized by ZackZillaaaaaaaaaaa!
    Cardomain link: http://www.CarDomain.com/ride/3380944

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it

Funny, its 2010 and now its easier to List who HASNT had to rebuild their transmission with Forced Induction.

I am glad Zack did my J-mod

A legend quote a True Ride can not be no Rider without a Marauder
    Finally Eatonized by ZackZillaaaaaaaaaaa!
    Cardomain link: http://www.CarDomain.com/ride/3380944

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information