Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning About Marauder

Learning About Marauder

I want to purchase one in the next 6-12 months and am trying to learn all I can. Lots of good info here. Have also read the sticky about 03-04 differences. Can someone answer these questions?

I want a totally stock car. Do some or most of you modify your cars?

I am not that mechanical. Are these cars reliable and can any Ford dealer maintain them?

I actually like all the color choices. Are there some paint issues that show up on certain colors? It looks like black was the most produced color.

Are these cars more prone to rust than any other car and are there any other things that commonally go wrong I should look for or avoid?

I think my budget will be in the 13-14k range so I am hoping to get a lower miles car in very good shape.

Do 03 and 04 have much other differences other than color? Could I tell them apart? Thanks for the help!

black has paint issues and I would say about half or more modify their cars
    Stock leave a lot to be desired

waiting to be blown
    You can run all your life but not go anywhere
    positive manifold pressure leads to coitus

Quote Originally Posted by yjmud View Post
    black has paint issues and I would say about half or more modify their cars
    Stock leave a lot to be desired
    I would say that you would want a tune for sure. That alone will correct a lot of the undesirable issues with the shift schedule. Some do 4:10 gears to boost low end grunt so those 2 relatively cheap and easy mods are prolly well worth doing. Beyond that, there's the whole super charged madness. Those aren't for everyone and can be quite costly.....but really multiply the car's fun factor. If you don't drag race, you may not find it essential to your daily driving!
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 07-11-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

I'm pretty new to the game also, but can tell you that lots of the black cars had paint issues in '03. Actually a lot of '03 Ford products in general had paint issues from what I can tell. '04 Marauders are much harder to find, so the paint issue is hard to get around. It seems like the majority of enthusiasts do simple mods at least, because the car can be made so much better with simple mods. It's a shame to leave that much potential on the table without a tune and gears at least. These cars do hold up extremely well from what I can tell, so don't let simple mods scare you away from a car. $13-14k should get you a very nice Marauder with decently low mileage. Just my .02
    '03 Marauder #4539 300A Zack tune, Flowmasters

Just keep in mind parts for the mm are getting hard to come by

Quote Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
    I want to purchase one in the next 6-12 months and am trying to learn all I can. Lots of good info here. Have also read the sticky about 03-04 differences. Can someone answer these questions?

I would say most modify their cars because they were very slow from the factory

I am not that mechanical. Are these cars reliable and can any Ford dealer maintain them?

For the most part they are very reliable, there are issues, like the wipers, headlights, and climate control modules, but all the fixes can be found here and are of minimal cost.

I actually like all the color choices. Are there some paint issues that show up on certain colors? It looks like black was the most produced color.

04s have better paint than 03s mainly on the hood, roof and trunk
    Are these cars more prone to rust than any other car and are there any other things that commonally go wrong I should look for or avoid?

As for rust, it's all about how you take car of it, I had one with 178,000 miles on it that I sold to another member, I drove it in the snow and salt. It never saw a garage, but I ran it through the car was weekly with under body wash and it looks better than the car I bought out of southern California.

I think my budget will be in the 13-14k range so I am hoping to get a lower miles car in very good shape.

If you are patient and search everywhere I think you are realistic

Do 03 and 04 have much other differences other than color? Could I tell them apart? Thanks for the help!
    Beside the transmission upgrade from the 4r70w to the 4r75w the use of two knock sensors in the engine, and painted or unpainted cam covers, they are pretty much the same. There is a bigger difference in the 300a and 300b models. There is a thread here about those differences.

Welcome to the site
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Good Luck in your search! Consider the "Marauders for Sale" here on the forums. Most have the updates you will want,(tune and gears), and some are still totally stock.

to the site!

OZ

2003 (300B)
    Build Date: 01/07/03
    Delivered: 07/14/03 @
    Crossroads Ford Lincoln Mercury
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    Adopted: 11/23/09 in Missouri

#6483 of 7838
    Black/ Light Flint (1 of 115)
    Original Stock

The wifes car is completely stock and has had nothing done to it besides normal
    maintenance. Also both or cars are 03's and the paint is fine, I have a theory that cooler temps are easier on the paint. Good luck, you will love it when you get one.
    300A Black Wife's DD
    300B DPB Mine

You can do many things with the MM no doubt. I bought mine with anticipation of keeping it stock but that lasted about 1.5 years then I went NUTZ!!

The 03's have the "bad paint" issue.

04's have higher stall torque converters and dual knock sensors.

The KING of BLING!

BOOST GETS YOU IMPERSONATED!

Quote Originally Posted by GOT5.0 View Post
    Be forewarned dont run the one that says DOOM. cause thats just what youll get!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDOWN View Post
    It's easy to find D00M, just follow his smoke or his trail of trophies!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBLUE View Post
    When your good nobody likes ya, everyones jealous.

Got mine with 90,000 great car black...I feel the paint would have been fine if the owner had not gone thru a car wash everyday. Anyone can maintain it, as for stock or mod its up the owner. For the $$ you are willing to spend you should have no issue finding a nice one. Good luck!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

FWIW, I've owned mine for almost a year and a half now. Didn't know much about them other than I REALLY wanted one. It's by far the best car I've had...even though the 'newness' of a different vehicle has worn off, I still enjoy driving it just as much now as I did on day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post

There are MMs out there that have not been 'molested', however, finding one with a tune and/or 4:10 gear would be beneficial. A tune makes the car perform/run better and they were slated to have the 4:10 gear straight from the factory. I would consider this a 'stock' piece vs an add-on. The great thing about these cars is there is a wide variety of 'mods' than can be done, so you can mod to suit your taste; you can do a little w/o having to go all-out. I've only spent about $800-900 on mods (in relation to speed) so far, and I'm content with how she runs AND I'm in a position where I DON'T need to drop more $$$ unless I want to.

Neither am I. I've put 35k on mine since I bought it, and the only 'issues' I've encountered were an oil leak (oil filter seat gasket) and a chaffed wire that was causing my brake lights to not work. This website is a GREAT source of information; even though I will have to take my car to someone else 90% of the time to have something done, I have enough knowledge gained from this website to help keep me from being taken advantage of by a mechanic. If you do eventually buy a MM, have the EATC and LCM repairs done immediately...and NOT at a dealership. Just search these terms on this website and you'll get the whole picture about these issues. Most dealerships can maintain them, but there have been members that have come across dealerships that can't.

Most 03 blacks have encountered paint issues. Black was the most produced, followed by Silver, DTR (red/burgundy), and Blue. Just buy a Silver and you'll be ok!

I think the biggest player with rust is where you live; EATC & LCM, as mentioned above.

You shouldn't have much difficulty finding a lower-mileage car at that price.

Do 03 and 04 have much other differences other than color? Could I tell them apart?

Black/Silver was offered in both years, blue only in 03, DTR only in 04. (I'm not 100% certain on this...I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong). Telling an 03 & 04 apart from looking on the outside...probably not...maybe the moonroof? (Dealer installed vs aftermarket?) You'd have to go inside the car to determine if it's an 03 or 04.

Thanks for the help!
    Good luck with your search!
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

I say this everytime I see someone wanting one of these cars, I'll sale mine. Being that I haven't drive it in almost 2 weeks it's easy to say. Soon as I drive it I change my mind. Mine is black and a '03 but paint looks great, but only has 41k on the clock. 4.10 gears program and cold air. Wouldn't have it any other way
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

I am impressed with all the replies. I am glad I joined. Thank you all for the advice so far. Following other discussions on here, does the AC seem to be a common problem, or did I just pick up on that on select cars? All cars came with leather interior? Aside from cd player, were their any other interior options? Was there a most popular option package like most cars have, or were these pretty much loaded? Thanks again.

They all came with leather light grey is an option but rare, cd changer in the trunk is an option, moon roof from the factory is another option...other than that I don't know of anymore options. A/C is the control unit, they all will have it sooner or later but there is a very easy fix that will not take more than a couple of hours for even the most un qualified tech.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two