Thread: Radiator cooling fan issue

Radiator cooling fan issue

For the past few days every time I start my Marauder the engine cooling fan goes to high speed and doesn't come down, and today I found that the a/c isn't working (no clutch engagement). The temperature gauge is normal, and it's not overheating, and haven't lost any coolant.

I checked it after I got home from work tonight and see that even after an hour commute it was still on high...the radiator was barely warm..both upper and lower hoses were warm..COT warm..and the a/c clutch won't engage. I lent my scanner to a friend so I can't check the coolant temperature, but I don't see any evidence of overheating.

This one's got me scratching my head, I've been around these cars for many years have not seen this before ???

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    For the past few days every time I start my Marauder the engine cooling fan goes to high speed and doesn't come down, and today I found that the a/c isn't working (no clutch engagement). The temperature gauge is normal, and it's not overheating, and haven't lost any coolant.

I checked it after I got home from work tonight and see that even after an hour commute it was still on high...the radiator was barely warm..both upper and lower hoses were warm..COT warm..and the a/c clutch won't engage. I lent my scanner to a friend so I can't check the coolant temperature, but I don't see any evidence of overheating.

This one's got me scratching my head, I've been around these cars for many years have not seen this before ???
    Could be the electronic control for the fan is shot.

You'll probably have to replace the fan assembly.

Try not to use aftermarket as they are known to cause "thermal events".
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Sounds like the passenger side sensor in the COT is bad or unplugged.

I was thinking maybe the fan, but would that shut down the a/c ?

I'll have to check into that sensor in the COT

Thanks for the replies

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

My fan recently went into full speed mode and wouldn't shut off, even after sitting with the car parked in my driveway. It would have drained the battery. Until I had it replaced I pulled the 50a fuse and never drove it in town, just on the highway to avoid overheating.

I bought a good OEM replacement from Ebay, a seller who is a member here. Back to normal, 5 minute swap.

I'm not sure if the AC condition you describe was happening with mine. It may have been, as I noticed a lack of cooling from the vents one day, but I never got scientific about it.
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

I have a whole used unit fan And Radiator and coolent bottle that if you want it it's yours if you can't get yours working again . Everything has ford tags on it no junk !

Pm me if Last resort
    2003 MM 300A
    #738 of 7,838 BLK
    Build date: 6/6/2002
    Adopted: 2/05/2013

MODS:

Metco control arms, Addco sway bars, TCE brake lines, Gatorback belt, remote start, underbody lights, custom doorsills. Black with custom silver hood stripes (S-55 theme)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT
    Adopted on12/09/18 from chief455

COMING SOON-Trilogy #005 THANKS CWright-
    I am afraid you have awakened a sleeping Giant

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=view&id=14156

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post
    Im happy for you bro! Let the mods begin! I hear the mod bug broke his stinger when he heard you pulled the trigger!

BIG BIG thanks to the GOD of marauder parts ( Darren) I am the 1st winner of Darren bag of fun give-away

Probably nothing to do with your problem but.....

I pulled my radiator to change it out as preventative maintenance and was amazed at how much crap had collected in there. Totally clogged. I'm surprised the fan was able to even push air through it at all. Just a thought.

When I got to work today I plugged in our Ford IDS and the only code was P1462 ...a/c pressure sensor circuit low input..so with that I know that if the high side pressure went too high it would shut down the clutch and kick the fan to high in an effort to lower the system pressure.

Long story short I checked the high-pressure switch to find a broken wire right out of the connector. It looked as if someone in the past poked the wire with a test light Fortunately for me we keep a selection of taken off the road crown Vic taxis as parts cars, and was able to get a good pigtail to solder in. I'm just glad I found It quick, and it was a very easy repair less than an hour start to finish.

All is back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by Guittard22 View Post
    I have a whole used unit fan And Radiator and coolent bottle that if you want it it's yours if you can't get yours working again . Everything has ford tags on it no junk !

Pm me if Last resort
    Super big thank you for the offer, but I'm good now

When I got to work today I plugged in our Ford IDS and the only code was P1462 ...a/c pressure sensor circuit low input..so with that I know that if the high side pressure went too high it would shut down the clutch and kick the fan to high in an effort to lower the system pressure.

Long story short I checked the high-pressure switch to find a broken wire right out of the connector. It looked as if someone in the past poked the wire with a test light Fortunately for me we keep a selection of taken off the road crown Vic taxis as parts cars, and was able to get a good pigtail to solder in. I'm just glad I found It quick, and it was a very easy repair less than an hour start to finish.

All is back to normal

Super big thank you for the offer, but I'm good now

That's why we have great members on the site glad you got it fixed
    2003 MM 300A
    #738 of 7,838 BLK
    Build date: 6/6/2002
    Adopted: 2/05/2013

MODS:

Metco control arms, Addco sway bars, TCE brake lines, Gatorback belt, remote start, underbody lights, custom doorsills. Black with custom silver hood stripes (S-55 theme)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT
    Adopted on12/09/18 from chief455

COMING SOON-Trilogy #005 THANKS CWright-
    I am afraid you have awakened a sleeping Giant

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=view&id=14156

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post
    Im happy for you bro! Let the mods begin! I hear the mod bug broke his stinger when he heard you pulled the trigger!

BIG BIG thanks to the GOD of marauder parts ( Darren) I am the 1st winner of Darren bag of fun give-away

I know this is a old thread but it just saved me a lot of time trying to figure out my current problem.
    Thank you...
    03 black 300A # 2827 stock setup 275,000 on car. 65,000 on engine from a 04. 03 engine died at 273,000 . Rear cat delete with magnaflow 11256 mufflers.

Thread Information