Thread: 4.6L Bolt-Ons

4.6L Bolt-Ons

Pick up a copy of the August 2003 Hot Rod Magazine... Starting on p. 48 there are "6 steps" for more power in a 4.6L... The test mule they used is a Bullit Mustang.

In brief, the steps...
    1. Hypertech
    2. Headers
    3. Pully's
    4. Throttle Body
    5. Filter
    6. Locker / Axles / Gears

They include $$ and dyno HP addition for the mods as singles

Step 4 and 2 were my favorites...

Don't get me wrong, these will not get you anywhere close to SC performance... But it may be something to try while I save up my shillings to get that pump.

All told... in summary...
    16 to 20 extra hp.
    29 ft/lbs extra trq
    $2000 extra $$ for the go fast parts

Not big value... but "1", "2" and "6" may also be good for the SC upgrade... which account for ~1000

The article is definitely worth a read.

Best Regards,
    _gus

looking97233 Guest
    Just my .02, if you are going to get a SC, I would just save the money, keep the car stock, get the SC, then see what else needs to be done. The SC will change the car so much that things you did before may not have needed to be done and others you didn't now do.

Money will be different for MM as we have DOHC motor, they used SOHC.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

PLease enlighten as to the difference between SOHC and DOHC?

Thanks
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    Big ass scratch in driver front rim(gives it character)
    Another Big Ass Scratch On Rear Bumper (Even More Character)
    35% all around

engine23:

SOHC = Single OverHead Cam
    DOHC = Double OverHead Cam

SOHC uses one camshaft for each back of cylinders, The DOHC uses 2 cams per, one for the intake valves only, and one for the exhaust valves only. This is why the "valve covers" of our motor are so huge compared to, say, a small-block Chevy, which uses one centrally-located cam to operate all the valves, for both banks of cylinders.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 07-12-2003 at 06:26 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

IMHO HYPErtech,caps intended as Hype seems more to as what they're selling,will never get another penny from me or my friends or aquaintances. I spent around $350 for their Programmer for my 98 Expedition,I already had a K&N FIPK and a Flowmaster catback system and figured it would be the next logical step. It didn't allow reprogramming of the speed limiter or many of the parameters as they commonly advertise.The 2 differences I did notice was a slight improvement in shifting,and that I had to run premium fuel in a vehicle I was averaging 9-10mpg in,with a 30 gallon gas tank that got old real quick. If I decide to keep my 03 Expy I'll contact Dennis about a real chip and get a dyno tune on it or go whole hog and get a Kenne Bell Blowzilla.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Smile Thinking a little more

In the end... my thought was the following:

1) HYPErtech: Sorrry to hear that it may not be everything claimed). However, if there is a version that works, this would be a good to have w/ the SC

2) Headers: Still want those w/ the SC. can these be the same for SOHC and DOHC

3) Pullies... personally. I am not sold... but what the heck...

4) TB.. OK... waste of money (~$360) if you replace later w/ SC.... but amortorized over a year... not too bad.

5) Filter... I do not like these, yet... but the article did mention them

6) Gears: Still good to have after SC

As such, very little wasted (not-reusable parts or $s)

I do not see where the difference would be between SOHC and DOHC $$... I think that the MM and Bullit are similar.

Good point. looking97233, There is something to be said for that approach... But it kind of puts the brakes on my desire to get my hands dirty.

BR, _gus

do not see where the difference would be between SOHC and DOHC $$... I think that the MM and Bullit are similar.
    '....

Errr... I meant the TB for the intake...

_+gus

Thread Information