Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of a bad radio

Signs of a bad radio

I think my radio might be going bad. It still plays tapes and CDs fine just seems to crackle and silence for awhile before crackling back to radio sound. The display looks fine. I turn the channel when the silence occurs and the silence is on all channels.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Assuming you're talking about the FM band, yeah that's a common failure.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

put the rear defogger on, that should really mess up reception if your radio is headed south.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Signs of a bad radio

Known frequency lock problem; mine went bad after just one year in 2005. I told the dealer it started crackling after being on for ten minutes, so to test it he took the car and drove it like hell for 50 miles, then told me it was the window tint, not the radio. I explained to him he could have sat with the engine off and the key on and accomplished the same thing.

I finally got him to replace it under warranty, and he assured me the new radio didn’t have the same problem. Six years later it dropped FM, and two years after the AM died.

Ford is the only auto company out there that considers radios an item that has to be regularly replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Replace it with an aftermarket unit or an Escape headunit.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I just ordered a replacement Escape unit for mine yesterday. $50 on Ebay for a 6l8t-18c815-fd (https://www.ebay.com/itm/132407015728), let's hope it works!

The unit I'm replacing is an original Marauder unit on a car with 130k miles. I also had a unit from a mara with only 30k miles, and it also couldn't tune FM. I'm hoping that both radios were bad and not that I have a problem with my antenna.

get the escape audiophile radio..looks stock, sounds better
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by mrhimself View Post
    I just ordered a replacement Escape unit for mine yesterday. $50 on Ebay for a 6l8t-18c815-fd (https://www.ebay.com/itm/132407015728), let's hope it works!

The unit I'm replacing is an original Marauder unit on a car with 130k miles. I also had a unit from a mara with only 30k miles, and it also couldn't tune FM. I'm hoping that both radios were bad and not that I have a problem with my antenna.

I’ve seen several of those myself, but the seller could never confirm for me that the 6 CD changer works. One of these days I have to score one like Spectragod was selling a few weeks ago, plug and play to the OEM unit. My dead 6 CD player will just be bypassed in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

what yr escape

05 -07, mercury mariner included. the part number listed above is it.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Talking AM-FM HEAD UNIT

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I think my radio might be going bad. It still plays tapes and CDs fine just seems to crackle and silence for awhile before crackling back to radio sound. The display looks fine. I turn the channel when the silence occurs and the silence is on all channels.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Please refer to Interior Electrical/Electronics Dated 5-22-2016 Posts #39,45,46, and 48.

I was driving through Georgia a number of years ago and my unit and it started working again. and continued working for a number of years. Fords contractor for the unit wanted
    to charge me $319.00 to repair it.

Try United Radio at 1-800-686-0349 E. Syracuse, N.Y. 13057.
    Good Luck!
    By the way, my brother use to own a 1985 LTD, a sleeper of a car.
    Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    05 -07, mercury mariner included. the part number listed above is it.
    From the research I did, there are at least 4 part numbers that should work. The main thing seems to be that the unit has 3 gray connectors(not 2 black).

I used this to help me crossreference PNs:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/radio/i...adio_guide.pdf

I sent my radio into a place to be repaired. Should have it back tomorrow.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I sent my radio into a place to be repaired. Should have it back tomorrow.
    Where did you send it, perchance? I'd appreciate a feedback from you... Good... Bad... Whatever...

I heard about an outfit in Minnesota (Twin Cities, I think) that offers a quick turnaround on Ford audio stuff... and a flat fee to repair the OEM radio. No idea if they're decent...

My GMQ's Marauder head unit (with the trunk sub-woofer) lost both the AM & FM radio portions a while back, but I usually just use CD's or play Pandora through the cassette adapter. Some day I'll get around to yanking it and either fixing it or sending it out...

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Gene

2004 Grandma Marquis LS HPP ( With "MZT" and "SCT ": "The Undercover Marauder")

2004 Ford Ranger Duratec Flareside

1984 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

And then...

After you spend the 5 minutes labor required to install the new radio, enjoy your new found 1990's technology to its fullest by following my instructable for burning a lifetimes worth of MP3s on to those 6 CDs.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...Radio-Play-Mp/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information