Thread: Cost effective?

Cost effective?

Ok guys flame away: When I get my MM this week I will only have about $4,000 to spend on any extras. I understand about the 4.10 gears and Dennis's chip. I also read that he does not think the K&N filter add anything. What would you recommend and why to improve the performance of the MM. You may email me your responses unless you want to flame But I can take the heat so please fire away. I want to get the best possible performance short of a supercharger which I can not afford.

amedd:

The chip/plugs/thermostat from Dennis, and the 4.10 gears are the two most basic mods, and probably the most cost effective. On top of that base, check out the threads on replacing the torque converter...those that have say it's a keeper, but it'll run almost a grand by itself, with labour. Also, stay tuned to this board; Dennis isn't done with us yet...in the pipeline are a cold-air intake, and I believe a set of headers, as well. Beyond those things, there isn't much left except for the blower at this time.

You can start doing things to the rest of the car, like the brakes, for instance, but those are pretty pricey, too.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Ubderdrive Pulley set from Dennis. I'm going to those at the Atlanta Tuning session. At least 8-maybe even 12 RWHP should be gained.

Thanks. I do not understand how the Pulley's work?? How would they improve HP over the stock pulleys?
    2003 MM 300A Born 8/7/02
    brought 4/17/03
    Window Ventvisors
    Texas legal tint
    Solo2
    Uniden 538
    Wilson Antenna
    trunk org
    Godshead f/r
    McGard locks
    CD changer
    Black dr edge trim
    Black lic frame w/smoke tag cover
    1999 3000GT Turbo (wife's car)
    Sunroof
    Texas legal tint
    CD changer

amedd:

They work by lowering parasitic loss, which is the power required to run the "support equipment", such as the alternator, the power steering pump, water pump, etc. By putting on a smaller crank pulley and larger accessory pulleys, you can reduce that loss, thereby increasing the power available to the rear wheels.

There are claims of 8-10 RWHP being freed up, but I think those numbers would be more correct if you disconnected the devices altogether...not just for slowing them down some. The caveat here is that I don't have them, and haven't done a before-and-after on a dyno, but I've gotten conflicting reports on their value, hence the omission from my original reply. They are, however, relatively inexpensive, and there IS a benefit, I'm just not sure how MUCH there is to gain...
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 04-06-2003 at 08:08 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I will only have about $4,000 to spend on any extras.
    If I were you I'd put the $4K away towards a blower package when it becomes available. My Marauder is bone stock and will stay that way 'til it is blown. IMHO everything else is a band-aid mod. 4.10 gears and a blower? Not for me. The stock 3.55 and blower will work just fine. Buy a chip now and end up with another with the blower package? Why buy something twice?
    Underdrive pulleys? These were more trouble than they were worth on a Mustang I owned for the extremely small gain.

Strictly my opinion, for what it is worth. Others I'm sure feel differently. No flame intended to anyone.

Best,

Paul
    "In judging others, folks will work overtime for no pay"

In my opinion with the exception of a blower the gears are the greatest gain in performance. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

looking97233 Guest
    What beemer said. Exactly.

I thank everyone for their input. I think that based on what I have read here over the past several months and these last responses that I will get the 4.10 gears and the chip and tuck the rest away for the blower. What are we looking at for a blower with installation. About 7-8K?? I know from reading what Dennis writes that he can reflash the chip later, after a blower is added. I want to thank everyone for being so kind and I have to say this is the best board I have ever seen on the internet. I know that you guys and gals pull each others chains once and a while but I think that is a GREAT sign. Keep up the good work.
    2003 MM 300A Born 8/7/02
    brought 4/17/03
    Window Ventvisors
    Texas legal tint
    Solo2
    Uniden 538
    Wilson Antenna
    trunk org
    Godshead f/r
    McGard locks
    CD changer
    Black dr edge trim
    Black lic frame w/smoke tag cover
    1999 3000GT Turbo (wife's car)
    Sunroof
    Texas legal tint
    CD changer

WolfeBros Guest
    chip, stat, plugs and gears.
    You boys are underestimating what the chip does for performance, not to mention day to day driveablility.

Thread Information