Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to replace.....

Question How to replace.....

Has anyone had to replace a turn signal lamp yet? Particularly the amber one. Please share details as to how to take apart to gain access.

I have the bulb number from the O/M ,but no further instructions.

Thanks all.
    2017 Niro

Due to a very crappy work computer, this is the 5th time that I tried to type this up. So here goes:
    If you have deep metric sockets, it is a piece of cake.
    1st open the hood.
    then remove the plastic piece that covers the gap between the radiator support and the header panel (it is usually held on with push pins or plastic screws).
    using a 11mm deep socket and ratchet, remove the 1 nut holding the lamp assembly to the header panel.
    remove the lamp body by pulling away from the fender (there usually a nipple that holds the assembly to the fender)
    1/4 turn counter-clockwise removes the socket from the lamp body.
    remove the bulb by pulling on it (you will need a 2 filament bulb).
    new bulb just snaps in to place.

or

just go to your local dealer to utilize you "bumper to bumper" warranty

Just trying to help
    Brian
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Blue Marauder Guest
    Light bulbs aren't covered under warranty. They are considered service items like brakes and other parts that wear out.

chrtra1 Guest
    B.S. I replace bulbs under warranty all the time.

Major B.S. I've been with Ford Service for over 7 1/2 years and I did my fair share of burnt out bulbs. It takes experience in the field to tell another person how to do it.

Brian
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Blue Marauder Guest
    If you say so.

I've had bulbs and wiper blades replaced no charge while under the bumper to bumper warranty. When I installed different headlight bulbs in my 98 Expy I couldn't get the headlights back in correctly,my dealers service department re-installed the headlights for me and even re-aimed them for no charge and I'd told them what I'd done. The finance guy there needs to be watched closely,but my saleslady and the service department are top drawer. Matter of fact as soon as I log off I'm going up there with the new truck for some warranty concerns. If I leave it I'll get a GM or a TownCar for a loaner. When I pick it up it'll be washed and repaired correctly. It's worth a 40 mile drive to me for service like I receive. And Jamie,a darn good service writer, checks out this site regularly after I turned him on to it.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Thanks to all.....by the way, let me say, the bulbs are not burned out. Because of our clear lenses, one can not only see the bulb, but you can see the filemant in the bulb as well. I found some aftermarket amber bulb replacements that are made with some crazy new product that make the bulb appear silver, and you cannot see inside it. I am anal thayt way, besides, the bulbs will look nicer to the eye. I ordered the replacement the owners manual calls for......but what concerns me now is the fact that these are the newer "plug in" type. No longer the old "push in and turn" type. I never actually took the OEM's out yet, so I don't know what the ballasts look like. I hope they are the newer style, otherwise I have to re-order.

Thanks again.

PS: My dealer WILL replace bulbs under warranty, but not wipers.
    2017 Niro

Where I work, Wipers are for 12 months or 12000 miles. The only "Ballasts" that I know of control the fluorescent lights in my kitchen. Just my .02

Brian

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

chrtra1 Guest
    If you know what to say on the R.O., you can replace them under 3/36.

Originally posted by chrtra1
    If you know what to say on the R.O., you can replace them under 3/36.
    chrtral - Could you give us a hint? Thanks. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

A little follow up on my visit to dealer. My dealer of choice is a Lincoln Mercury dealer,I've bought 4 cars from them,my truck is a 2003 Expy. They work on the Expy with no problems or static. I had problems with all 4 of my alloy wheels ,the clearcoati mmediately around all 4 center caps looked as if it was chipped off in about 30 spots on each wheel. They looked at them,ordered me 4 new wheels under warrantee and I was back out the door in 15 minutes. They said it appeared the wheels must have been contaminated before they were clearcoated. They,nor I had ever seen anything like this before. They'll call me when the wheels are in and I'm assured I'll be back out the door in 2 hours or less when they mount and balance them.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Bulbs replaced...albeit a pain to get a socket in there. The new bulbs are Titanium coated, thus the silver look. They have a nice deep orange glow. Not as bright as I would like, but I guess one has to give a little to get a little. The sockets are the the new plug in style as well.
    2017 Niro

CRUZTAKER:

Maybe I missed something...what was your reason for replacing the OEM turn signal bulbs, and what did you replace them with?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
    Because of our clear lenses, one can not only see the bulb, but you can see the filemant in the bulb as well. I found some aftermarket amber bulb replacements that are made with some crazy new product that make the bulb appear silver (titanium), and you cannot see inside it. I am anal thayt way, besides, the bulbs will look nicer to the eye. I ordered the replacement the owners manual calls for......

^^RF^^

People who show cars at meets during the day when the lites are off like the crazy colors....they look OEM at night.
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 05-15-2003 at 09:59 PM.
    2017 Niro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information