Thread: Auto-Train

Auto-Train

Has anyone ever used the Amtrak Auto Train? It goes from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL... It might beat an almost 2000 mile round trip if I roll to Tampa in May. I am going to Costa Rica with a friend who lives in Tampa and I am toying with the idea of putting the MM on the train and leaving it with DR while I'm out of the country. I may return to some forced induction...

Any thoughts from my CAM brethren???

2004 Mercury Marauder DTR:
    #320 of 982 & #1036 of 3213
    NOVI 1200-SL *Supercharged*
    492.6 HP / 430.0 ft-lbs - 09/25/08
    -Full Stainless Exhaust by Exotic (!!!LOUD!!!)
    -Flowmaster Super 44s & 4" Delete Tips - Wes
    -Richmond 4.10's
    -Ford Racing M-4033-G1 Aluminum Axle Girdle
    -Tuned by ZACK
    -Pro-Guard
    -KDW2 Tires
    1998 P-71 POLICE INTERCEPTOR "Embassy Edition"
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 HO 4bb (my first car)
    1982 Ford Clubwagon XLT 5.0 - "Ol' Blue 82"
    1973 Ford Bronco - w/ a Fuel Injected 5.0
    --------------------------------------------------

60' ... 1.927
    1/8 ... 7.932
    MPH ... 92.08
    1/4 ... 12.231
    MPH ... 116.29

It's ok. It can be hectic, even if you get there early.
    Expect a delay or two.
    But it saves mileage on the car.
    I did it when the long drive was not advisable after the heart attack.
    I'd do it again, if I got the private room.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

I live about 4-5 miles from the Lorton Auto Train station. Was all booked to make the trip to Florida for MV IV before I got "sick". Seems like a pretty painless way to make the trip down. You'll have to back track to Jacksonville, FL to drop it off with DR. No intermediate stops between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

My son used the Auto Train to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral on Royal Carribbean. He liked the trip alot ... used it both ways and had the use of his car for some Florida sightseeing before and after the cruise. He booked a Sleepette Room for the trip. He gives it a I trust his judgement. His experience was largely responsible for my decision to use the Auto Train to get to MV IV.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Yup, I know I'll have to back track up to DR but the ride should be nice in May... I was planning on getting one of the rooms on the train. It leaves Lorton at 4pm and gets there around 9am the next morning. I figured I'd drink a bottle of Jack, make some friends (or enemies), and sleep it off on the train. I'd wake up in FL with no miles on the MM and a similar night to if I had stayed at home... It sounds like a win-win but if those Amtrak knuckle heads were to mess up my car loading or unloading, you guys in FL will probably see me on the news.

-Richmond 4.10's
    -Tuned by ZACK
    -Pro-Guard
    -KDW2 Tires

60' ... 1.927
    1/8 ... 7.932
    MPH ... 92.08
    1/4 ... 12.231
    MPH ... 116.29

Just be prepared to spend some time in a 42 square foot room, this includes the shower/toilet combo. If you do not mind cramped spaces, it is a fine ride. The people who drive your car on and off the train have it down to a science. The only problem arose when the over 80 crowd didn't turn up their hearing aids so they can hear their number when it is announced. You usually have about three or four large sedans holding everything up. I did a round trip once, and if I have to go to Florida again with the MM, I would fly and have the car shipped down.
    Quote Originally Posted by High-C View Post
    Yup, I know I'll have to back track up to DR but the ride should be nice in May... I was planning on getting one of the rooms on the train. It leaves Lorton at 4pm and gets there around 9am the next morning. I figured I'd drink a bottle of Jack, make some friends (or enemies), and sleep it off on the train. I'd wake up in FL with no miles on the MM and a similar night to if I had stayed at home... It sounds like a win-win but if those Amtrak knuckle heads were to mess up my car loading or unloading, you guys in FL will probably see me on the news.
    Just another clown on a bike...

As good as any man, better than none.

Former owner of a highly modified and very fast Marauder.

"You CAN fit a square peg into a round hole, all you need is a big enough hammer." -Original

If you ever fly to FL, you have a S/C MM or 2 at your disposal. Pick your color!
    Current:
    2004 SB

Sold:
    17th of 3213 2004 Marauders
    9th DTR of 982
    and best of all,
    71st Trilogy

2003 TR Mach 1
    2012 RR BOSS 302
    2014 RR GT500
    2003 AB Mach 1

I took the AutoTrain in January 2007, I would definitely take it again. I did not get a sleeper I had a seat. When they seated everyone we had both seats to use. It has plenty of leg room and carry on storage. The only problem I had was once you recline the seat only the back moves back and you cannot adjust the seat ( it does not elevate in the front when the back goes back) I am a big guy 6'2" 280 lbs. and your butt wants to tend to move forward while the back is reclined making my butt numb. Most smaller people on board slept sideways in the two seats, some with feet sticking out in the Isle. On my return trip home before getting to the train I stopped at Walmart an bought two small throw blankets and rolled them up like bolsters to put under the front part of my legs to prop them up and it worked well and I slept well. Also I took a couple shots of Jack Daniels which helped me sleep. I bought the Jack before I boarded although you can buy it on board in the lounge car, Dinner and breakfast come with your ticket,. Also The restrooms are down stairs; use the Handicapped one it has alot more room to move around. They have a Dining car and a lounge car but you may have to walk thru lots of cars to get there. I took a backpack with snacks. water, toiletries, etc. All in all I would definetely take it again. I had to wait almost two hours to get mt MM off of the train , but I was patient. The car was fine except for a few water spots and some rubbed of tire dressing which I assumed was from keeping the car from shifting in the train. I would advise using your valet key to keep valuables locked in the trunk.
    Last edited by FreddieH; 02-20-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Voted #2 Display at MVV, Best of Show N/A at Carlisle 2010, Best Display at Carlisle 2011, 2012, 2013, Best Display at MVIX, Best Display and Best of Show N/A at Carlisle 2014, Best Display at Carlisle 2015
    Capital Area Marauders Member (CAM)
    03 Silver Birch 300B Built 6-2-03, Adopted 6-24-03, Sequence# 7604 of 7838--Color Sequence# 306 of 418
    American Racing "Rogue" (ROUSH RR05) Chrome Wheels +25 Rear, +35 Front, Stock Tires, Custom Trunk Organizer, Lidio's Tune, Flowmaster 40's, K&N CAI, KVR Rotors /Hawk Pads, Tint 35%, Ford GT Coil Covers, KB Dead Pedal, Reinhart Automotive Pro-Gard, Euro Front Plate "SILVRBULLET"and /or "03 MM 7604", SIRIUS Satellite, Rear Spoiler, SS Inserts, SRP Pedals and Sills, Colex Caps.

cam·ma·rau·de·rie
    Pronunciation: "käm-'maräu-d(&-)rE,
    Function: noun
    Etymology: American Mercury family, from Cam Marauder comrade (Member)
    : a spirit of friendly good-fellowship of Marauder Enthusiasts

Blog Entries
    Send " Malo03 " Eggie a pm. He work's for Amtrack !

I took the family down to the FL Keys in 2004 using the autotrain. I brought my E150 as we were meeting up with four other family members in Key Largo. I paid more for the oversized v-hickle but the bonus was our van was the third car off the train. I was on the road at 9:15 AM and enjoying margarita early PM.
    We got two rooms that had the wall removed between the sleeping cabins. It was very nice and comfortable. Dinner was good and the observation car was one in front of us. Met up with a bunch of people and had a great time. It cost more then flying but two years later when I flew I found it a lot more of a hassel daeling with "security" packing kids seats for the rental. The lost baggage etc. Did get to rent a convertable though.
    I do a lot of long distance travel for work and when I'm on vacation I enjoy the process of "getting there" since most of the time I have to hit the ground running for work.
    Mischief Managed!
    Retired to weekend trips.
    105k miles.
    04MM Fully Loaded.
    Trillogy Stage II
    Metco RCA
    Baer Big A$$ Brakes
    GT40 Fuel Pump
    Lowered Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by carfixer View Post
    If you ever fly to FL, you have a S/C MM or 2 at your disposal. Pick your color!
    That may be an offer that I can't refuse!

Thanks for the input guys. It is a little pricey but I think it might be cool to do something different, especially when time is not an issue.

Cheers...

-Richmond 4.10's
    -Tuned by ZACK
    -Pro-Guard
    -KDW2 Tires

60' ... 1.927
    1/8 ... 7.932
    MPH ... 92.08
    1/4 ... 12.231
    MPH ... 116.29

Thread Information