Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbocharged Coyote/6R80 Swap, Build/Discussion Thread, Pics, info inside!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Looks like your going to need JustBobs guy for a heavy-duty C/V drive shaft!

Correction, i forgot he went with a CV shaft
    Last edited by MOTOWN; 07-22-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

^ indeed!

I was just in contact with them this morning . Looks like we are using a Mustang style one piece shaft. I need to get the dimensions to them to get the build going on it.

This weekend I'm going to work on getting the O.E. Cross Member altered/fabricated so I can get my final angles set, then get the measurements to them to start fabrication.

One step at a time! After she's hard mounted and the shaft in, most of the hard stuff is out of the way! PBH accessory kit is here, probably won't try it out until I get the motor in for final assembly, but looks first rate with detailed instructions/ect.

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    ^ indeed!

I was just in contact with them this morning . Looks like we are using a Mustang style one piece shaft. I need to get the dimensions to them to get the build going on it.

This weekend I'm going to work on getting the O.E. Cross Member altered/fabricated so I can get my final angles set, then get the measurements to them to start fabrication.

One step at a time! After she's hard mounted and the shaft in, most of the hard stuff is out of the way! PBH accessory kit is here, probably won't try it out until I get the motor in for final assembly, but looks first rate with detailed instructions/ect.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know your dealing with TDSS! Telescoping is junk! C.V. Is the only way to go!

Just make sure your static ride height measurement is DEAD nuts! There is little to NO give in the fudging dept. mine fits so tight I need to walk it on and off!

Man, I almost surprised they agreed to one that long!

They told me it didn't matter which end I mounted the C.V. side to, that it would perform the same requardless. I chose it on the trans side. Two years now and around 10,000 hard miles, all good.

Builder Of Badassery
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Got ya! I'm still in communication with them at the moment. I just submitted the measurements to them literally moments ago, so we'll see how it goes.

The length from flange to flange face is exactly 5 feet, 5 inches with the car supported at ride height by the suspension.

The shaft will be pricy by the talks of it, in the $800 range, but it's one area you can't skimp on when building, no doudt.

We'll see what they say!

Shaft is good to go!

$850. We went with a 4" Aluminum due to critical speed constraints, as I wanted to be able to go up to a 4.10 rear axle ratio, but that would require a 5" tube which I do not think I have clearance for.

The stock 3.55's with a 6 speed auto should work out just fine. And, when I get the turbo setup on, I will most likely go down to 3.2x or lower as with past builds anyhow. I was simply thinking while it's naturally aspirated I'd give it the best setup possible and see what kind of 60' I could achieve with that deep overall gearing. .

You will want to keep the 4:10's in the Marauder with the turbo.
    Trust me

^ That's interesting Zack!

On my LS builds, my 60' got better with less gear (when turbocharged that is!) as you could load the turbo harder through each gear and stay in the meat of the power band longer, plus with the kind of TQ those produced on boost, it never seemed to care.

But, again, those were LS builds so how much of that applies to this one, idk.

On the same note though, with this being a 5.0L, not sure how much will apply to it either!

If I do have to go deeper, I can simply lower my top speed to maintain under the critical speed limit.

Thanks for the help!

You shouldn't need 4:10s with a Turbo on a 281cubic inch motor, if you need to spin it that hard i guarantee your A.R. housing is too big for your motor, on a Marauder i wouldn't go any bigger than a 76mm single , or 62mm twins , small displacement motors work much better with smaller turbos fitted for that application.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    You will want to keep the 4:10's in the Marauder with the turbo.
    Trust me
    What experience with gears did you go through, if you don't mind?
    I do trust you, just curious what brought you to say 4.10...
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    You shouldn't need 4:10s with a Turbo on a 281cubic inch motor, if you need to spin it that hard i guarantee your A.R. housing is too big for your motor, on a Marauder i wouldn't go any bigger than a 76mm single , or 62mm twins , small displacement motors work much better with smaller turbos fitted for that application.
    If I can fabricate a single system on this setup based on space constraints, I was going to use the same ON3 78/76 i've been using, with the same .96 ex turbine housing.

The 5.0L seems to flow very similar CFM to the LS motors i've been using that turbo on, so I figured it would be a very fitting unit here as well.

If I can fabricate a single system on this setup based on space constraints, I was going to use the same ON3 78/76 i've been using, with the same .96 ex turbine housing.

The 5.0L seems to flow very similar CFM to the LS motors i've been using that turbo on, so I figured it would be a very fitting unit here as well.
    A .96 AR housing is wayy too big for a 4.6l motor , but if your set on using it then yes your going to need 4:10s and a higher than normal stall to make that oversized turbo work, basically your pushing your powerband into the stratosphere due to the wrong sized turbo , i had 4 Buick Grand Nationals , i built each of them with the fastest running in the low 9s at 1072rwhp , if you dont get the turbo sized correctly you will have a 4K paper weight.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    A .96 AR housing is wayy too big for a 4.6l motor , but if your set on using it then yes your going to need 4:10s and a higher than normal stall to make that oversized turbo work, basically your pushing your powerband into the stratosphere due to the wrong sized turbo , i had 4 Buick Grand Nationals , i built each of them with the fastest running in the low 9s at 1072rwhp , if you dont get the turbo sized correctly you will have a 4K paper weight.

Turbo sizing is based off of airflow CFM characteristics, correct?

Just looking for a little clarification on the subject, that's all, no disrespect intended at all .

On GM LS motors, our smaller displacement setup was a 4.8L, which we've used 80mm setups on with a .96 AR. It would have no issue lighting the turbo by 3500rpm, but only because our heads flowed nearly 2x what a Ford 4.6L did, and therefore could spool it no problem.

I'm not using a 4.6L on this build, it's a Coyote 5.0L with heads that (somebody correct me if I'm WAY off, I don't have specs handy) flow in the 3xx range.

The last turbo 5.3L Fox we just built ran an ON3 78/76, .96 and was full spool by 3500 give/take.

An engine is nothing more than an air pump, and the turbo is sized to the amount of airflow going through it accordingly. We know the outgoing 4.6L is nothing in comparison to the 5.0L as far as airflow goes, so therefore, a turbo of a smaller size that would work on the 4.6L would severely restrict the much more efficient breathing 5.0L. She will be full spool at probably 2k, but be choked up with back pressure by 6k, with a redline of 8k (stock shift points on the Coyote 5.0L Mustang are 7200).

Again, just looking to wrap my mind around the subject more, no harm intended!

Just looking for a little clarification on the subject, that's all, no disrespect intended at all .

On GM LS motors, our smaller displacement setup was a 4.8L, which we've used 80mm setups on with a .96 AR. It would have no issue lighting the turbo by 3500rpm, but only because our heads flowed nearly 2x what a Ford 4.6L did, and therefore could spool it no problem.

I'm not using a 4.6L on this build, it's a Coyote 5.0L with heads that (somebody correct me if I'm WAY off, I don't have specs handy) flow in the 3xx range.

The last turbo 5.3L Fox we just built ran an ON3 78/76, .96 and was full spool by 3500 give/take.

An engine is nothing more than an air pump, and the turbo is sized to the amount of airflow going through it accordingly. We know the outgoing 4.6L is nothing in comparison to the 5.0L as far as airflow goes, so therefore, a turbo of a smaller size that would work on the 4.6L would severely restrict the much more efficient breathing 5.0L. She will be full spool at probably 2k, but be choked up with back pressure by 6k, with a redline of 8k (stock shift points on the Coyote 5.0L Mustang are 7200).

When sizing the aftermarket turbo for my 1984 2.3L Mustang GT, I looked at a lot of different turbos and their associated compressor maps.
    Depends on the engine's cubic inches, rpm level, boost level, intended use (race vs. street-spool up)...etc.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...-turbocharger/

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/perfor...knowledge-base

2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Forgive my ignorance on your build , i have 4.6l on the brain! With 5.0l motor you will be fine with that turbo, i think it will perform well, I would stick with the 3:55 gears and a 3K to 3,500 stall unless you are going with a manual transmission
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread Information