Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheels vs front caliper size, any options?

Wheels vs front caliper size, any options?

I guess most of us who have looked into the Marauder brake issues and inadequacies have learned the factory wheels are a limitation when trying to switch to an aftermarket brake kit.

I am currently using a 14/13 four wheel kit, but I am spending way too much time and money maintaining the front brakes. Switching pads on the rears to Porterfield R4S seems to have worked pretty well, so I believe the rear brakes and the corresponding lighter load are a reasonable match. But my opinion is the front brake pad and caliper area are simply inadequate for a car this size. I do, of course, understand why this caliper is on the front of the car (wheel limitations).

So, my question is: what could be done to improve the front brakes if an aftermarket wheel were used? Could a TC 6R caliper with the corresponding large pad be fitted? Would the rear caliper have to be changed to maintain the piston area ratio?

Just wondering what is possible to do to fix the maintenance nightmare that is the current front brake setup. Can't even get 5K miles without needing to resurface the rotors and sand the pads.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

You might want to contact Todd at TCE.

I've had his 13" kit installed for 4 or 5 years and am still on the original pads.

The kit fits the stock Marauder wheel using a thin spacer.

Only down side is I had to source a full size spare as the donut spare won't work.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I figured posting in the vendor forum was a reasonable enough way to start a discussion on this issue. I have talked to Todd before. What calipers are on your 13" kit?

I don't have a set of the OEM calipers any more for comparison, but I'm pretty sure the FNSL6R radial-mount calipers use a pad that is not any larger than OEM, and may actually be smaller.

I'm almost done with the second set of pads in 17K miles, and have resurfaced the second set of rotors twice already. I'm not making this up!
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    I figured posting in the vendor forum was a reasonable enough way to start a discussion on this issue. I have talked to Todd before. What calipers are on your 13" kit?

I don't have a set of the OEM calipers any more for comparison, but I'm pretty sure the FNSL6R radial-mount calipers use a pad that is not any larger than OEM, and may actually be smaller.

I'm almost done with the second set of pads in 17K miles, and have resurfaced the second set of rotors twice already. I'm not making this up!
    Calipers on my kit are FNSL6 per the TCE website.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If you were interested in a different wheel perhaps a 20" wheel would open up the possibilities. You may need to fab brackets if you want to use say a Corvette system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    If you were interested in a different wheel perhaps a 20" wheel would open up the possibilities. You may need to fab brackets if you want to use say a Corvette system.
    My understanding is the biggest issue is axial clearance (caliper to inside edge of wheel spokes). But added radial clearance can't hurt.
    Lifespeed

Then you'll need to play with offset. Just be sure the wheel can handle the cars weight if moving the offsets

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Then you'll need to play with offset. Just be sure the wheel can handle the cars weight if moving the offsets
    The offset must remain the same, within reason, or the suspension geometry will be wrecked. So a wider wheel is the answer.
    Lifespeed

A different spoke design is required not so much offset.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    A different spoke design is required not so much offset.
    Have you looked into what would be required to fit a bigger caliper to this setup? I am determined to do whatever is required to address this. I am tired of working on the brakes on this car, I change the brakes more often than I change the oil.
    Lifespeed

I can do the FNSL6, a W6A, Aero6, and even TC6 if you want. It's all doable for me. At a price. At a fit. There's nothing holding back production.
    TCE

I can do the FNSL6, a W6A, Aero6, and even TC6 if you want. It's all doable for me. At a price. At a fit. There's nothing holding back production.
    Would the rears need to change to maintain the correct front/rear torque ratio? Thinking of the TC6 of course and it's larger area, including piston area.
    Lifespeed

Ideally it would need a 14"+ rear rotor. Possibly same piston area, different calipers and brackets. Front rotors probably 15" with that caliper, won't clear the hat on a 14 I don't believe.
    TCE

Ideally it would need a 14"+ rear rotor. Possibly same piston area, different calipers and brackets. Front rotors probably 15" with that caliper, won't clear the hat on a 14 I don't believe.
    OK. Based on past experience I have 4 - 6 months before needing this, we'll talk then. I'll look into wheels in the meanwhile.
    Lifespeed

I'll be around.
    TCE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information