Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new door handle mod.

My new door handle mod.

I was inside the doors replacing the interior door handle lighting LED's and decided to see if I could illuminate the exterior door handles and double as puddle lamps. I used 562 COB (chip on board) LED's and 22 AWG wire soldered onto them. Removing the center of a rivet in each door allowed the wire to run freely into the door cavity. I used E-6000 adhesive to attach the LED's and will seal them with silicone. The wire was run around the window regulator and followed the OE harness into the door pillars. Several inches were left in each door to facilitate service of the exterior lights. They were connected and fused at the footwell lamps. They illuminate and darken gradually and make excellent approach lamps.

'04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

That is very very neat. Looks great and well lite.

Now that is awesome! I added Mercury puddle lamps under the door for puddle lamps but this I never thought of.

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Ole Blue Hair

Truly interesting. Wondering if this has been patented yet?
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

BMW and Mercedes have illuminated door handles. The '18 Caddy XTS I rented had trick LED strips in them. I was just dabbling with some skillz.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    BMW and Mercedes have illuminated door handles. The '18 Caddy XTS I rented had trick LED strips in them. I was just dabbling with some skillz.
    Ingenuity and perseverance are two widespread qualities on this board - you display both.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

That's impressive! Cool and functional!

when your done with one project theres 5 more you find on this site

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreChiMM View Post
    when your done with one project theres 5 more you find on this site

In 13 years I have done just about everything. I am still chasing boost. My recent two-year quest for "bones" of a Trilogy kit came to a silent halt as email communication has ceased months ago. Figures....

2004 Mercury Marauder
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Arrow

In 13 years I have done just about everything. I am still chasing boost. My recent two-year quest for "bones" of a Trilogy kit came to a silent halt as email communication has ceased months ago. Figures....
    I'm dreaming of a ADTR/ProCharger kit as it exploits the limits of the stock Marauder drivetrain perfectly. As you and everyone knows, the original Marauder proposal was (Eaton-Roots) supercharged.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Blog Entries
    Very nice up date !

Pretty darn cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

The leds the ones I am finding have a metal end pieces. I assume you just bent them off? Also when you open the door do you feel the lights or? Just curious if the leds get warm.

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Ole Blue Hair

Quote Originally Posted by jamespate73 View Post
    The leds the ones I am finding have a metal end pieces. I assume you just bent them off? Also when you open the door do you feel the lights or? Just curious if the leds get warm.

These do have the metal on the ends. They were the solder points. they do get warm when on for awhile. I measured 102 degrees after several minutes of illumination. Nothing to be alarmed about. As far as grabbing the handle - these are tucked in quite well. Unless you bend down and place your fingers in to the first knuckle you'll never know they're in there.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

These do have the metal on the ends. They were the solder points. they do get warm when on for awhile. I measured 102 degrees after several minutes of illumination. Nothing to be alarmed about. As far as grabbing the handle - these are tucked in quite well. Unless you bend down and place your fingers in to the first knuckle you'll never know they're in there.

Maximum public water temp is 110*. So as your resident plumber, your good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information