Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back in a Marauder!

wow great find, I'd call that a super deal. Car looks like it has 30k miles to me. Yeah, like above - just drive it as is for a while. out the wish list together over winter and then do something in the spring if you still want to. Not many all original cars left.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    Based on the VIN I don’t think it’s that early of a build, but I am going to send away for the certificate to get that information. It was garage kept up to this point, it will stay that way now. Thanks you!
    Look at the sticker on the end of the drivers door, it has the build date on it.

Great car looks like you chose carefully and it paid off.

-just think for $5000 you could have bought a beat up old Honda Accord or Hyundai with over 100,000... or some other dealer back lot rattle trap.

Thanks for posting, I'm even more motivated to get the "fix it list" done on mine so I can get it on the road!

Just want to say thank you to everyone for the kind words. I have not had the time to do a full detail on the car, but I did have a chance to hand wash it quick and throw some quick spray wax on it. The results are pretty impressive and I know with some compound and polish it’s going to be great.

I also did a tune up, NGK plugs, oil change, cleaned the air filter, new fuel filter, and an oil change. This is where the happy story becomes a little less happy unfortunately...

When I bought the car I noticed the ever most slight shake at idle. It had no CEL so I chalked it up as it just needing a tune up (dumb on my part). Well, after my tune up the misfire is even worse. CEL came on, showing cylinder 8 misfire...not good. Swapped the cop on 8 with number 5 and put another new plug in 8 here is what plug 8 looked like after 15 Miles

Reset the check engine light and it drove it until the CEL came back on. Read the code again and the misfire stayed in cylinder 8, ruling out the cop.

Next steps are a compression test and leak down test which I am assuming will lead me down the road of a burnt valve or dropped/damaged valve seat.

Not the end of the world, I’m pretty sure the person who sold it to me probably knew, but such is life. I will pull the head, have it repaired, and put it back on.

Guess I’ll be getting to know the car a little more intimately in the near future.

Good detective work! I don’t think I would have figured that out, and would probably have replaced all the cops first and wasted $. Isn’t #8 the cylinder that typically runs the hottest, on the rear left of the engine?

I still think you got a good deal and the car looks great. Good luck with the valve issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Good detective work! I don’t think I would have figured that out, and would probably have replaced all the cops first and wasted $. Isn’t #8 the cylinder that typically runs the hottest, on the rear left of the engine?

I still think you got a good deal and the car looks great. Good luck with the valve issue.

Indeed, 7 and 8 (rearmost cylinders on the driver’s side) are known to get too hot due to poor coolant flow in the back of the cylinder head. I’m not the first to fall victim to it by any means, but I was hoping to get more than 40 miles out of the car before major repair

I’m not soured on the car, I definitely would have paid less if the issue was known, but it’s money already spent. Move on and fix it better!

Teaser picture:

Going to make a detailed thread once it’s done and the car is running. Getting oh so close!

Wow ........lot of work! Good luck. I hope everything goes well.

Looks like your creating a beast.

Looks like a nice build about to happen! Sucks to hear what you discovered but kudos for keeping a cool head and diving right in!

I wasn’t aware Marauders came in colors? Must be a basic trim package?

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Glad to read the Marauder found a good home. The women depicted earlier are probably stating: 'he went where and spent x amount on this?' They may never understand. I took my car to the shop it was last serviced at in Michigan before driving it home to North Carolina. The manager was a F-L-M tech who pulled the codes and reset the ECU. He stated the climate control unit had set a code, most likely from non-use (9k miles in 12 years). Have yet to turn 41k miles but have my first vacation in years with my grand daughters together planned for this summer. Visiting relatives in Tennessee and Florida with side trips to Marineland and St. Augustine. Choosing the Marauder for the trip was a no brainer as it's my grand daughters' new instant favorite (Mustang takes a break).

Current driving music: Stevie Ray Vaughn's 'Couldn't Stand the Weather'.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

This picture is mostly for the shock value of the background, Keep in mind the car in the background is a good friend of mine, he’s a member here actually. It’s a 2004 CV with a full Terminatior swap and a lot more mods on top.

The lame NA engine in front is mine!
    Last edited by crownvic97; 05-31-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Oooooh ok

First off-- Congrats on your new find purchase and WTG on getting head over into it and getting -r-done back in shape and on the road--I am IMPRESSED --as a lot of folks are as well here reading this am sure--towards your energy and desire to fix the car right.

However, Am perplexed about this guys remarks below:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    "------just think for $5000 you could have bought a beat up old Honda Accord or Hyundai with over 100,000... or some other dealer back lot rattle trap..........."
    Yes I realize he made some comments that were better but ---really--
    --apparently guy failed to realize this is a Marauder forum and doesn't think
    that's what we do here .......further nice to see you did not
    paid attention to him --- all of us are thinking highly of your pursuit as we --watch and follow your impressive attitude you have- nice of you

Please continue to keep us all posted ..........carry on......
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

However, Am perplexed about this guys remarks below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    "------just think for $5000 you could have bought a beat up old Honda Accord or Hyundai with over 100,000... or some other dealer back lot rattle trap..........."
    Yes I realize he made some comments that were better but ---really--
    --apparently guy failed to realize this is a Marauder forum and doesn't think
    that's what we do here .......further nice to see you did not
    paid attention to him --- all of us are thinking highly of your pursuit as we --watch and follow your impressive attitude you have- nice of you

Please continue to keep us all posted ..........carry on......

for the record: I was paying him a compliment and I too! am cheering him on. The "just think" comment was a bit of sarcasm directed outwards towards the rest of the whole wide world that doesn't understand Marauders or Panther fans. It's the kind of thing we all would hear from 99% of our co-workers, relatives...etc...who look at cars as a mere appliance.

(I'm fixing one too. An Early 2003)

Hey CV97 - are you going to do the timing chains/guides while you are at it changing the head gasket? Also a good time to do the oil filter adapter...I'll be following this thread to see which cooling mod you do, thinking of doing one on mine, which has (131,000) on it now...but there are a few different cooling mod versions out there....
    Last edited by Agent2006; 06-01-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information