Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest On Ticking Noise From Engine

Latest On Ticking Noise From Engine

A service message came through the other day that reads: Some 2003-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6L 4V engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheelwell area, or when standing next to the vehicle. A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine. If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor OASIS for updates.
    I have also been following a thread on the Ford technicians website that has them complaining that the cylinder head replacement is only fixing about half of the affected vehicles. Furthermore, these techs are pissed because Ford is only paying them for repair on a 2-valve engine as there is no labor standard for the 4V engine. That makes them very reluctant to perform these repairs. I recommend that if any of you guys have this issue, that you get with your service manager to determine if it's abnormal or not, then if it is, have them document that you are waiting for the comprehensive repair procedure that is pending. Good Luck.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

Mine hasn't ticked since you moved those cables off the head. Nice and quiet!
    Dave

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frdwrnch
    A service message came through the other day that reads: Some 2003-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6L 4V engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheelwell area, or when standing next to the vehicle.
    Hmmm.... so, essentially Ford is saying "Marauder owners be damned, we're only concerned about the big seller". I'll definitely remember this next time I've accumulated enough cash for a new American car.

A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine.

Yeah, my 120,000 mile all-original oil-leaking 1978 Pontiac 400 has a slight tick as well. I would consider it normal on a high mileage hunk of iron, not a brand new piece of 'high-tech'.

Mark my words... IF a fix ever comes out for this problem, we certainly won't hear about it firsthand. It'll be thanks to the Mustang crowd that we'll get wind of any fixes... as far as Ford is concerned, we're just a bunch of cranky Grand Marquis owners who wouldn't notice a difference.

By the way, this leaking chunk of high mileage iron ticks a LOT LESS than my new Marauder did at the height of its problem, last year.
    (photo taken in late 2000 shortly after purchase

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
    Hmmm.... so, essentially Ford is saying "Marauder owners be damned, we're only concerned about the big seller". I'll definitely remember this next time I've accumulated enough cash for a new American car.
    You may be over reacting and reading into it something that isn't intended.
    Could be that the lions share of problems are with the Mustangs, but that doesn't necesarily mean they are excluding Marauders, Aviators, etc.

Yeah, my 120,000 mile all-original oil-leaking 1978 Pontiac 400 has a slight tick as well. I would consider it normal on a high mileage hunk of iron, not a brand new piece of 'high-tech'.

Mark my words... IF a fix ever comes out for this problem, we certainly won't hear about it firsthand. It'll be thanks to the Mustang crowd that we'll get wind of any fixes... as far as Ford is concerned, we're just a bunch of cranky Grand Marquis owners who wouldn't notice a difference.

By the way, this leaking chunk of high mileage iron ticks a LOT LESS than my new Marauder did at the height of its problem, last year.
    Yeah, I remember them when they were new. They ticked then too.

You have cleaned up that engine haven't you?

Well said. I agree completely.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

/Steve: PLEASE tell me that's not a FRAM filter I see in your air cleaner housing, IS IT?!
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I respect your disappointment, /Steve, but I am pleased to see some acknowledgement of the problem get published too.

Considering that this 411 came through a Ford dealer, I would expect the text of the message from Ford to be tailored to apply only to the Ford 4V DOHC applications. This makes me wonder if the corporate divide between Lincoln-Mercury and Ford Motor Company is greater than I believe. In time, I hope that the 411 trickles down to all 4V DOHC applications, but we'll see?

Meanwhile, I learned some related news today myself, and I'll open a new thread on this.

Thanks frdwrnch, I'll add this thread to my compiling list a TICK threads....
    2017 Niro

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    /Steve: PLEASE tell me that's not a FRAM filter I see in your air cleaner housing, IS IT?!
    I heard Fram air filters kicked arse. Has there been any findings to the contrary?

Fram oil filters suck (or sucked, I haven't kept up with oil filter technology).

From a performance point-of-view, the FRAM air filters I used on my WS6 are supposed to flow fairly close to K&N category...

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Considering that this 411 came through a Ford dealer, I would expect the text of the message from Ford to be tailored to apply only to the Ford 4V DOHC applications. This makes me wonder if the corporate divide between Lincoln-Mercury and Ford Motor Company is greater than I believe. In time, I hope that the 411 trickles down to all 4V DOHC applications, but we'll see?

I agree with your assessment. My rather murky outlook on the whole matter comes mainly from the difficulty I had (back in October) in getting Ford to apply their TSB (the original one) to my Marauder... even with identical part numbers, the head office maintained the stance that I be given a replacement head "from the heap" (of the same faulty casting) instead of benefiting from the revised casting. It was from that point onward that I developed this "black sheep" outlook regarding Ford's consideration of the Marauder.

Unless the current ticking gets much much worse, I believe I'm going to live with it. As time goes by, I am more and more certain that whatever tick has developed in the past few months is but a mere shadow of what I was experiencing last summer. In many instances, I swear it is totally gone. Just earlier this afternoon, I remote-started the car (to cool the interior somewhat for my little boy) and as I approached the driver's door, I became frustrated at the 'tiK tiK tiK' sound (it seemed louder)... only to realize it was a ratty old late 80s Civic hatchback parked across from me. As I leaned over to have a listen to my own engine, I could discern nothing related to a tick. Tomorrow is, of course, a new day...

I still fear that they will adopt the "oh well, ticking for the 4V engine is considered normal" as they shift engineering and maintenance dollars towards the new 3V motors.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I still fear that they will adopt the "oh well, ticking for the 4V engine is considered normal" as they shift engineering and maintenance dollars towards the new 3V motors.
    Have no fear. Already taken care of

A service message came through the other day that reads: Some 2003-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6L 4V engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheelwell area, or when standing next to the vehicle. A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine. If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor OASIS for updates.

If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor OASIS for updates.
    GREAT post, frdwrnch! Keep up the good work and keep us posted! I USED to have ticking you could hear from 25 feet away . . . now it's barely there (not sure why either).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent M79
    Mine hasn't ticked since you moved those cables off the head. Nice and quiet!
    Agent M79:
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? Which cables did you move off the head and why did this eliminate the sound?

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

If you all recall, I posted about the slight ticking from both my old '99 Cobra and my old MM engine that was replaced under warranty for overheating. I considered what I had in both instances as normal it wasn't like what had been described within other threads. They must be doing something different in the process of remanfacturing the engines, as the new engine is bone quiet. I can barely hear the injectors ticking at idle let alone the engine. I guess only time will tell if this comes back, but somewhere in the reassembly process, FMC is doing something differently. The new engine now has about 4K on it and is still getting it's wind.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Agent's ticking was more noticable inside the vehicle at idle. It sounded like a clock running. I repositioned the accellerator and cruise control cables as well as the trans shift cable and that cured the problem. In his case normal engine noise from the injector rail was being "telegraphed" into the passenger compartment. Y'all might want to check this out. Small sections of fuel line can be split and used to isolate these cables where they rest on noisey components.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

Blog Entries
    Ever since they canned Jack Nasser Ford has taken a "@#$% YOU" warranty and customer service attitude!

I have bought 9 Ford products since 1988 and I have seen the change in the way they treat the customer.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump