Thread: Kudos to the Superchips tuning software.

89lxbill Guest

Kudos to the Superchips tuning software.

Our local tuner Ed Clark has made a great gain on the Marauder S. We put 2 more lbs of boost and a blow thru MAF on and Ed tuned it with the Superchips tuning software and here are the gains :

3600 RPM-------+25hp, +30 ftlbs trq.

4500 +45hp, + 50 ftlbs

5000 +30hp, + 35 ftlbs

5500 +30hp, + 45 ftlbs

6000 +29hp, + 20 ftlbs

The peaks were 411hp before, and 440hp after. (RWHP)
    370ftlbs before and 420ftlbs after.

Both of the dyno runs where taken at DTP Before and after. The car was tuned at Abacus.

"Applause"...

Congrats, nice job.

What part of the country?

Roots or centrifugal blower?

89lxbill Guest
    Portsmouth, VA. It is a Kenny Brown Marauder "S" with the Vortech Cent. Blower. Not to start a slinging match with KB, but we discussed it and determined that these cars should have came with the Blow-Thru style MAF originally, but who knows why not. Also, we are going to have to go to the dual Cobra pump setup like Dennis because the fuel pressure is starting to drop at the upper rpms.The original tune had it pulsing the injectors more at upper RPMs, but that would only exasperate the low fuel pressure problem if we tried that. Ed tuned it safe but cautioned at the track under heavy use that we should run 100 octane unleaded fuel. Man, the trans shifts 100% better and now with the drag radials, it is not hitting the rev limiter between shifts. The superchips tuner software is sooooo versitile. This thing feels light as a feather. Hit it from a 40 roll and it will blister the tires. it ran 12.7's before the tune last year. I'm throwing out a guess by the butt-o-meter 12.4's is possible. March 6 it's going to Dinwiddie and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Congrats, nice job.

What part of the country?

Roots or centrifugal blower?

Quote Originally Posted by 89lxbill
    Portsmouth, VA. It is a Kenny Brown Marauder "S" with the Vortech Cent. Blower.
    Bill Hall's car, right? Why didn't you say so in your first post?
    Not to start a slinging match with KB, but we discussed it and determined that these cars should have came with the Blow-Thru style MAF originally, but who knows why not.
    Hindsight is 20/20, yes? Back in November of 2002, Kenny Brown completed the first ever supercharged Marauder (except for the S-55 show car, which doesn't run) and released his Marauder S to the public. His design exploited all proven technology available to him at that time. Kenny Brown pioneered the concept of a supercharged panther framed vehicle and now look at us. We're tripping over them left and right. I think it's a tad unfair to come back now say it should have been done another way, but that's just my opinion.

Ditto on the fuel pump situation. Took a few blown engines to track it down, but we know more solid 411 today than ever. And, don't overlook the shortcomings in the cooling system either. the 7-8 cylinders need proper cooling for the best tune...IMHO.
    Ed tuned it safe but cautioned at the track under heavy use that we should run 100 octane unleaded fuel. Man, the trans shifts 100% better and now with the drag radials, it is not hitting the rev limiter between shifts. The superchips tuner software is sooooo versitile. This thing feels light as a feather. Hit it from a 40 roll and it will blister the tires. it ran 12.7's before the tune last year. I'm throwing out a guess by the butt-o-meter 12.4's is possible. March 6 it's going to Dinwiddie and try it out.
    Yep, Superchips tuning is good stuff, maybe the only way to go. Bill's Marauder S took top honors last year at his local track, and I have a feeling he'll do this again in 2004. Happy motoring!

Portsmouth, VA. It is a Kenny Brown Marauder "S" with the Vortech Cent. Blower. Not to start a slinging match with KB, but we discussed it and determined that these cars should have came with the Blow-Thru style MAF originally, but who knows why not. Also, we are going to have to go to the dual Cobra pump setup like Dennis because the fuel pressure is starting to drop at the upper rpms.The original tune had it pulsing the injectors more at upper RPMs, but that would only exasperate the low fuel pressure problem if we tried that. Ed tuned it safe but cautioned at the track under heavy use that we should run 100 octane unleaded fuel. Man, the trans shifts 100% better and now with the drag radials, it is not hitting the rev limiter between shifts. The superchips tuner software is sooooo versitile. This thing feels light as a feather. Hit it from a 40 roll and it will blister the tires. it ran 12.7's before the tune last year. I'm throwing out a guess by the butt-o-meter 12.4's is possible. March 6 it's going to Dinwiddie and try it out.

Jerry and I both will disagree with you on the blow through Maf Setup I could have done this on my setup and saved money and time, what we have found is the Maf in a blow through is unstable the Maf will not peg but will float, and cause really strange AF graphs and is very hard to Tune, in a blow though, The Maf in your setup is so close to the Supercharger that at a 10 PSI boost level the air turbulence causes this, that is why I use a suck through, I have now gone to a different Maf all together, KB uses the stock Marauder Maf in a blow through, and he does not lengthen the wires on the Maf if you look at some of his setups the Maf harness is stressed, I made a custom plug in harness that places the Maf down low where cool air is sucked in, almost like a cold air kit, because the Maf is in a Such through there is NO turbulence, again you have Dam good numbers, I am just expressing my ideas and opinion.

Thread Information