Thread: Blower motor resistor

Blower motor resistor

Has anyone replaced their blower motor resistor? Mine is out, and it's not in the greatest of places. Just wondering how many curse words to bring for the job.

It's not bad at all. Replaced mine a few months ago, after I was caught in the rain 60 miles from home with no defrost. Disconnected the hose sitting in front of it and it was pretty simple. Bought a new unit at Autozone, and it's been fine every since

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
    Has anyone replaced their blower motor resistor? Mine is out, and it's not in the greatest of places. Just wondering how many curse words to bring for the job.
    Others say it is a PITA, I've done nine twice, both times simple 10ish minute job.

Use a bungee cord to pull all the hoses out of the way. 1/4" ratchet with 12' extension and a 1-piece universal socket (a socket with a separate u-joint will make the job a PITA - using 3/8" set up will also make it difficult). Gentle patience keeps the screw on the socket till the fingers can hold it.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Blower motor resistor

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Others say it is a PITA, I've done nine twice, both times simple 10ish minute job.

Use a bungee cord to pull all the hoses out of the way. 1/4" ratchet with 12' extension and a 1-piece universal socket (a socket with a separate u-joint will make the job a PITA - using 3/8" set up will also make it difficult). Gentle patience keeps the screw on the socket till the fingers can hold it.

Are you talking about the blower motor speed control inside the firewall? 10 minutes?? The first time it took me about 3 hours. Absolute beyotch. The second time I got it down to about 90 minutes, mostly because I used a different setup to hold and reinstall the screws.

I have the rear engine cooling mod hoses and couplings right in the way. There's maybe an inch of clearance, and all that had to come apart to get access.

I agree, 1/4" drive with a 12" extension. I'm not sure what you mean by 1-piece universal socket? That is, I have a set of Craftsman universal sockets, but there's no way to get to the screws with a straight socket, universal or otherwise. I used an 8mm wobbly IIRC, and used electrical tape inside it to keep the screw from falling out. I have magnetic socket inserts, but not in that particular size.

I had to force the new unit down and in at an extreme angle as it was very tight back there; I was afraid of scraping up the circuit board, but it all worked. Never want to do that job again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Are you talking about the blower motor speed control inside the firewall? 10 minutes?? The first time it took me about 3 hours. Absolute beyotch. The second time I got it down to about 90 minutes, mostly because I used a different setup to hold and reinstall the screws.

I have the rear engine cooling mod hoses and couplings right in the way. There's maybe an inch of clearance, and all that had to come apart to get access.

I agree, 1/4" drive with a 12" extension. I'm not sure what you mean by 1-piece universal socket? That is, I have a set of Craftsman universal sockets, but there's no way to get to the screws with a straight socket, universal or otherwise. I used an 8mm wobbly IIRC, and used electrical tape inside it to keep the screw from falling out. I have magnetic socket inserts, but not in that particular size.

I had to force the new unit down and in at an extreme angle as it was very tight back there; I was afraid of scraping up the circuit board, but it all worked. Never want to do that job again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is using a socket/swivel combo, all one piece.

As most things find a tool that works. And you can cut install time to almost nothing, kinda like blend door motors, book time, 7 hours, real life, 45-60 minutes with the right tools.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    He is using a socket/swivel combo, all one piece.

As most things find a tool that works. And you can cut install time to almost nothing, kinda like blend door motors, book time, 7 hours, real life, 45-60 minutes with the right tools.

Essentially what I used, as the extension I have locks into the swivel socket. My problem the first time is that the screws wouldn't stay on the socket. Once I figured that out it went faster. Without the cooling mod it wouldn't have been such a pain.

I know the right tools but then combined with the technical knowledge of the best way to do it and having previously done it. The first time always takes the longest. (I'd probably budget a day for the blend door motor!)

At the same time if I were to do the rear air springs again I think I could do both sides in an hour no problem.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

My first blend door motor took me 1:45, I can do them in just under an hour now, there is no need to pull the dash.

I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Essentially what I used, as the extension I have locks into the swivel socket. My problem the first time is that the screws wouldn't stay on the socket. Once I figured that out it went faster. Without the cooling mod it wouldn't have been such a pain.

I know the right tools but then combined with the technical knowledge of the best way to do it and having previously done it. The first time always takes the longest. (I'd probably budget a day for the blend door motor!)

At the same time if I were to do the rear air springs again I think I could do both sides in an hour no problem.

I replaced the blower motor speed control today using some of these ideas.

I did not remove any heater hoses. Use wire and/or a bungee to pull the hoses out of the way.

Use a swivel 1/4 socket with a long extension to remove the screws and the part will come out. Put two sided tape on the screw to hold it in the socket when replacing the screw in the unit.

Use a large long screwdriver to help pry the unit out of its cavity past the hose. And the screwdriver also helps to guide the new unit into the cavity.

It took me about 1/2 hour after I had the tools and parts on hand.

Thanks to all for your great ideas to simplify this job.

Those tiny screws were a pain in the...

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

I swapped my BCM when I got home yesterday. The car is starting to show her age

Thread Information