Thread: EXTRA EXTRA!: RX-8 Owner Mad at Car for Being Slower than 4400lb Family Sedan!

EXTRA EXTRA!: RX-8 Owner Mad at Car for Being Slower than 4400lb Family Sedan!

Was out driving this weekend and on a quiet empty 4 lane road, we were both pulling onto the road and this RX-8 took off, I kept up as we came to the stoplight just after we turned on.

Light quickly turned green as we pulled up as there was no other traffic. I stayed behind him as we took off the light.

For the first half of the rev range, where the little rotary is making nearly no power, I had to be careful not to give it too much gas (no more than half) to keep from driving into the guy.

As the rev's on the RX-8 climbed my transmission had shifted early into 2nd (I guess it thought I was cruising...)

The RX-8 started making some power as the revs got going, so I kept getting further into the throttle. Transmission stayed in 2nd. I let him pull away at tad and got into it, keeping in 2nd, I had no problem gaining on him. Staying with him until a few mph over the limit where I leveled off and cruised.

He kept going, but leveled off too (I hope, unless that thing was that slow)

Not far ahead was my turn so I turned off, so didn't get to see the guys look on his face, but considering how he kept going I think he was a bit embarrassed. And watching my car letting off and still climbing up his tailpipe a few times as he was trying to gain speed must have made him wonder why his car is so slow yet is a tight fit for 2 people much less 4 (as it has seating for).

Makes me remember I should hit the test and tune at the local 1/8mile, might give me a chance to go up against some imports. They tend to avoid the all ford shows, lol. Still it would be nice to have been able to run with this guy over the 50mph limit, but that's what the track is for.
    Last edited by Breadfan; 10-23-2005 at 07:51 PM.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Rx8

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan
    Makes me remember I should hit the test and tune at the local 1/8mile, might give me a chance to go up against some imports. They tend to avoid the all ford shows, lol. Still it would be nice to have been able to run with this guy over the 50mph limit, but that's what the track is for.
    I really admire your restraint. I would have done the same, particularly when my wife is with me.
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

NO no no not me...I would have bashed that cats head in.

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

Quote Originally Posted by Big House
    NO no no not me...I would have bashed that cats head in.
    Haha, I probably should've, but you know, he'd lost pretty bad by 50.

Did some research last night, I think it was a 6spd which is the higher hp version, they'll do 0-60 anywhere from 5.9-6.1 according to road tests, and 1/4mi in 14.5.

I didn't see for sure it was a stick, but had the 18" rims which are std on the stick (apparently the automagic comes with 16") and seemed to drive like one.

I think they cost around $30k too.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Thread Information