Thread: About how much to get extra key?

hotride03 Guest

About how much to get extra key?

alright, i need to get another key made for my marauder. just in case i lose my main key since i only got one key went i bought the car. i know i can't take it to key maker like wal-mart cause i try that already today because it has a tranmiter on it. so i have to go to the dealer & get it done but ist it going to be costly. i've heard anywhere from $25-$75 to get another one made, is that true? has someone done this before. so if somebody could tell me how much its going to cost it would help me alot... thank!

Quote Originally Posted by hotride03
    alright, i need to get another key made for my marauder. just in case i lose my main key since i only got one key went i bought the car. i know i can't take it to key maker like wal-mart cause i try that already today because it has a tranmiter on it. so i have to go to the dealer & get it done but ist it going to be costly. i've heard anywhere from $25-$75 to get another one made, is that true? has someone done this before. so if somebody could tell me how much its going to cost it would help me alot... thank!
    My local dealer charged $20.00 for the key and cut it for no extra charge.
    As far as I know with only 1 key you can not program the new key yourself. Only the dealer can.

I was impatient when I got my remote start. The place that installed it said for me not to go to the dealer to have a key made b/c it would be over $100, they recommended a locksmith nearby and it came to $95. I probably should have shopped around, oh well you live and learn.
    Trilogy #119 S/C installed by Carfixer/Tallboy

your car has the pats 3 setup, you will need the dealer to assist you, unfortunately. once you have another key, look on ebay for some chipped keys and make yourself a couple more.

Yeah, you're pretty much need a dealer

Though there are locksmiths that can read and program transponder keys, I doubt you'd save a lot. The system requires two keys to program another, so once you have two keys, you can go online (do a google search) to get the procedure to program a key, which you can also buy online. But, you'll need the other key first, which is where the dealer comes in. Maybe the best idea is just to buy two more keys and be done with it.

got quoted $30 per cut key but $80 if I didn't have 2 already.

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

Quote Originally Posted by hotride03
    so i have to go to the dealer & get it done but ist it going to be costly.
    It's not so bad. The parts guy ain't gonna rob you blind, and they know what you need, although there may be a genaric one that costs less than the cool one with the hocky sticks.

BTW, mine came with three: the two regular ones, and a Grey "valet" key that won't open the trunk, or glove box; but will start the car. If you're looking for a "hide" key, you might want to consider one of those. Also, you might want to check with Ray, AKA "The dealer", that way you're gonna get the best price.

hotride03 Guest
    So i went and checked today at the dealer and they said $75 for one key! i said to myself damn i'll wait, to much for me at least for now.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    You have to have at least two already programmed keys to programme more to your car.

Once you have two programmed keys that start your car, you can but a PATS3 key on eBay, usually much less than from the dealer or a locksmith.
    Some key shops will not cut a 'chipped' key, claiming liability, but this is nonsense. They just want you to buy a key from them. An unprogrammed key will not start a car! Lowes cut my transponder keys (that I brought in) for me for free, and I programmed them myself. It's not difficult.

Thread Information