Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Windows 7

Anyone else here running windows 7? How are you liking it? What version do you have? I have Ultimate and i absolutely love it
    2004 DTR Mercury Marauder
    Build date:8/18/03
    Delivery date:8/14/08
    #21 of #983 DTR's
    #51 of #3213 in 04'

And im not spanish my friends just say i look it the names "Michael"
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRMiguel View Post
    Fat people dont get kidnapped
    Zack Tune
    JLT DTR Cold Air Intake
    1/4 Mile ET 14.202
    1/4 Mile MPH 99.13

Quote Originally Posted by DTRMiguel View Post
    Anyone else here running windows 7? How are you liking it? What version do you have? I have Ultimate and i absolutely love it
    I played around with the Beta version as well as the RC version before it went to RTM and really liked it.

Bought a license and installed Win 7 Home Premium and really do enjoy it.

Thus far, it appears Microsoft did it right!

There are all kinds of deals out there on computers with Win 7 x64bit installed and recommend this OS highly.

Mike.

Evidently there are huge issues with those who are trying to run it on Mack, and I think it's a problem having to do with Microsoft Office, which many Mac users prefer.

I just bought a new desktop and it has Windows7 on it (my laptop has vista) and i LOVE it. Windows7 > Vista

2003 Marauder - Ebony
    2006 CVPI P71 - Ivory

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Direct Vent Injection
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    You're so far back in the closet you can see what's going on in Narnia.

Ran Beta, RC's and have the RTMs. I have a legal 7 Ultimate VLK now that I've installed on all my systems at home. Attaches nicely to my WHS and all the XBOXes in the house, the server has 4TB of MP3's and another 3TB of XBOX game backups, my redundant systems each have 4TB in striped arrays, all Quad cores of course. I7 chips are really nice! We've built about 50+ I7 systems so far... (And I repair Macs and use Linux.)
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

I have XP Pro and run several programs (photo, graphic arts, navigation, DVD copy, CD copy, etc, etc) and wonder if these will work with Windows 7??

I let Microsoft analyze my system and they of course said OK.....mentioned a few drivers to change but never mentioned program compatibility??

Will an upgrade work for me??
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 11-12-2009 at 07:16 AM.
    No Marauder

This is the way and yes, if your programs are fairly recent (Adobe, etc.?).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l..._UpgradeFromXP

Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7

The Upgrade option is not available in Windows 7 Setup when installing Windows 7 on a computer running Windows XP. However, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from Windows XP to Windows 7 on the same computer. To do this, you must first copy files to a removable media, such as an external hard drive or UFD, or to a network share. Next, you will install Windows 7 and then migrate your files back from the removable media onto your computer. When you are finished, you must install your software programs again, but your files and settings will have been copied from Windows XP.
    Copy files using Windows Easy Transfer

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD while running Windows XP. If the Windows 7 installation window opens automatically, close it.
    2. Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Start menu, and then clicking Explore.
    3. Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory.

The Windows Easy Transfer window opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Select An external hard disk or USB flash drive.
    6. Click This is my old computer. Windows Easy Transfer scans the computer.
    7. Click Next. You can also determine which files should be migrated by selecting only the user profiles you want to transfer, or by clicking Customize.
    8. Enter a password to protect your Easy Transfer file, or leave the box blank, and then click Save.
    9. Browse to the external location on the network or to the removable media where you want to save your Easy Transfer file, and then click Save.
    10. Click Next. Windows Easy Transfer displays the file name and location of the Easy Transfer file you just created.

Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

I'm running 7 Pro version 32 bit. I had run both 64 and 32 bit RC. I like it, I'd probably love it if some of my older apps would run. Yes I have been using the compatibility function but on 30% of the older apps I've had no joy. My advice is to wait for SP1 unless you really need to switch over now. The only reason I did go with it so early is to support my customers' machines. And to do an upgrade from XP it needs to be a clean install, w/ Vista you can do an upgrade, but a recommend a clean install also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneblue View Post
    I'm running 7 Pro version 32 bit. I had run both 64 and 32 bit RC. I like it, I'd probably love it if some of my older apps would run. Yes I have been using the compatibility function but on 30% of the older apps I've had no joy. My advice is to wait for SP1 unless you really need to switch over now. The only reason I did go with it so early is to support my customers' machines. And to do an upgrade from XP it needs to be a clean install, w/ Vista you can do an upgrade, but a recommend a clean install also.
    I purchased the upgrade and when doing the install on top of Vista, I chose custom and had it remove Vista then install Win 7.

This is along side other partitions running Vista and XP.

Mike.

Mike you are quite correct and much more concise than my reply ( blame it on a combo of migraine and meds). I will end up doing the dual boot thing too when time allows. BTW I used the oem version ($145). Has anyone used the 3 updates for $150 that best buy is hawking? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+...&skuId=9493185

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneblue View Post
    Mike you are quite correct and much more concise than my reply ( blame it on a combo of migraine and meds). I will end up doing the dual boot thing too when time allows. BTW I used the oem version ($145). Has anyone used the 3 updates for $150 that best buy is hawking? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+...&skuId=9493185
    One of my counterparts has and the install went smoothly. He installed over XP and Vista and also used a blank partition without issue.

You must be connected to the I-net for the upgrade version to install.

The 'Family Pack' can be obtained cheaper at Costco for about $129.00.

His is a triple-boot sytem as mine is.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poore View Post
    Evidently there are huge issues with those who are trying to run it on Mack

Well duh, windows 7 was designed for the PC, not for 18 wheelers

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Well duh, windows 7 was designed for the PC, not for 18 wheelers
    It is a PC... PC=Personal Computer!
    You should see the inside of one if you open one up. Intel, Broadcom, ATI, Samsung, Western Digital... pretty much the same hardware... I do have to admit though, Apple makes some of the best Stainless steel screws! (Mac=Chevy)

Drag racers prayer:

Been using the 32-bit RC on my home theater pc. Happy with it. Went 32bit b/c during the rc days it was said to have slightly better compatability with the video stuff I had. May try 64bit on it to go over 4gb on the RAM.

Have 7 pro 64bit oem but havne't installed yet on my dad's computer. He still has XP.

Probably won't upgrade my vista desktop just yet, cause I'm perfectly happy with my 64bit Vista install on it...

If you're on the fence wait for SP1.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    It is a PC... PC=Personal Computer!
    You should see the inside of one if you open one up. Intel, Broadcom, ATI, Samsung, Western Digital... pretty much the same hardware... I do have to admit though, Apple makes some of the best Stainless steel screws! (Mac=Chevy)

Yeah but mack's are not computers....

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information