Thread: Rear Suspension Air Line

Rear Suspension Air Line

Ok, so I still want to completely replace the air line for the rear air springs. I've asked this before without any results, but thought I'd ask again. Can anyone point to where to find where the line ends in the back? I can't find the end at all, and I'm tired of trying to patch the damaged line currently in the car. For whatever reason the patches won't hold and the OEM line won't properly seat in the connectors.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    Ok, so I still want to completely replace the air line for the rear air springs. I've asked this before without any results, but thought I'd ask again. Can anyone point to where to find where the line ends in the back? I can't find the end at all, and I'm tired of trying to patch the damaged line currently in the car. For whatever reason the patches won't hold and the OEM line won't properly seat in the connectors.
    Have you looked under the car?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Have you looked under the car?
    Trying not to be sarcastic here, but yes. I can only follow the line so far before it disappears behind some kind of bracing over the axle and I can't find it again.

EDIT: The sarcastic comment is because even though I've mentioned so many times that I've tried tracing the line and can't follow it to the end, I keep getting asked if I've actually been under the car, and the frustration with that has become nearly tangible. So my apologies in advance if at any point I get rude about any of this. Don't mean to, just really frustrated, getting to the point of real anger over the situation.
    Last edited by ledzilla; 04-18-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Trying not to be sarcastic here, but yes. I can only follow the line so far before it disappears behind some kind of bracing over the axle and I can't find it again.

EDIT: The sarcastic comment is because even though I've mentioned so many times that I've tried tracing the line and can't follow it to the end, I keep getting asked if I've actually been under the car, and the frustration with that has become nearly tangible. So my apologies in advance if at any point I get rude about any of this. Don't mean to, just really frustrated, getting to the point of real anger over the situation.
    If it goes thru the bracing then it comes out at the air bag it should be easy to replace.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

There is no schematic in the shop manual. Just shows the connection at the airbag.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

If it goes thru the bracing then it comes out at the air bag it should be easy to replace.
    There is no schematic in the shop manual. Just shows the connection at the airbag.
    Yeah, I've seen that schematic and it sucks. But there's a splitter or proportioner or something before the bags that splits the incoming line to each bag, isn't there? At least that what information suggests, and that's what I can't seem to find. I have trouble reaching up into there to follow the lines back from the bags, which is why I haven't found it yet. If I can find that thing, then I can disconnect the line from the compressor and install the new line. And then cross my fingers that the air springs are still good for now.

This is why I'm asking, since I can't seem to find that spot, in hopes that someone else has gone down this path before. If it weren't for the line getting melted when using a torch to cut out the trans cross brace bolts, I wouldn't be in this situation.

Air Suspension Line

Do not know if this will help, but here are a couple of pics with body off frame from the Crown Vic site (2003 MM). Article is about replacing the shocks, but mentions the Air Suspension. I know of another video that shows walk around of a rolling chassis that might also help. If I am looking at the right thing it looks like it runs behind seat up under the speaker shelf at back window.

Quote from Crown Vic site..
    The yellow arrows point to the locations in the rear crossmember where the top stud of the shock absorbers would pass through in the pre-2003 vehicles.
    The red arrows point to the locations where the rear sway bar end links mount in the 1992+ crownvics.
    http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspension/shocks/rear/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shornaday; 04-18-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add text
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Silver Birch
    2003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Aspen Green
    2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab - Silver Metallic
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 - Vermillion Red - Silver Frost

Ok, I see exactly what I'm looking for in the second picture, and I now understand what I was grabbing. My hand was no more than six inches from the "T", but I had no way of knowing. Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    "Beast, Jr."

Thumbs up

Ok, I see exactly what I'm looking for in the second picture, and I now understand what I was grabbing. My hand was no more than six inches from the "T", but I had no way of knowing. Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Glad I could help Sometimes we just need to look at a picture.
    Last edited by Shornaday; 04-18-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: update
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Silver Birch
    2003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Aspen Green
    2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab - Silver Metallic
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 - Vermillion Red - Silver Frost

remove rear seat bottom cushion and you should find what need then.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

You can reach the air lines thru the access holes where they connect and just run new lines next to the old where you can't reach. The channel they are in is easy to fish stuff through as I've ran much thicker fuel lines with ease.

Removing the seats will do nothing. The channel they are in is between the body and frame and the air lines never enter the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I looked at the pic quickly on my phone and thought it was showing floorpan, now that I see it at home it is clearly not, sorry for the misinfo.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thank you for this info. Mine dumps all the air within minutes of parking and I hear the compressor run a lot. I have yet to get underneath and I don't hear air leaking under pressure after parking. Time to do a little searching and find out what brokeded.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

X2 on good info shared!
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Thread Information