Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intake

Question Cold Air Intake

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Just bought an '04 2 weeks ago and the car is amazing. Considering adding a K&N cold air intake. Does anyone know if I have to purchase a tuner or can I just swap the intake out. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks. NYMARAUDER

No tuner necessary just a quick swap shouldn't take no longer than 30min

Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

Smile

Welcome to the owners club NYMARAUDER!

While you consider a cold air intake for your MM, don't forget to look at the JLT Ram Air Intake Kit as an alternative to K&N. Just a bit of advice.
    2004 Silver Birch Mercury Marauder w/ Factory Spoiler
    Born: 05/13/2004
    Adopted: 10/23/2004
    Inherited: 04/23/2010

Thanks for the advice. Do you believe JLT is comparable or better than K&N? It's a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by NYMARAUDER View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Do you believe JLT is comparable or better than K&N? It's a lot cheaper.
    Performance gains are similar. Many feel the K&N is more aesthetically pleasing.

If you do not have a performance tune, get one! Best mod you can do w/o boost. Marty at Mo's Speed Shop(vendor here) can get you what you need. Stay away from the canned tunes, they are not as good.

IMHO... . JLT FTW!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Jlt does look way nicer to.

My IAT datalogged temperatures with an underhood "cold air" kit versus the stock airbox on a 90deg day, on the same stretch of freeway, at WOT were 11deg F *higher*. The factory air box does a much better job of routing cold fender-well air into the engine than any kit that sucks hot under-hood air.

On the dyno, with the hood open, the cold air kit made 3rwhp. I never tried it with the hood closed. This is comparing a 60K mile old used motorcraft panel filter, by the way...

I think the gains are far more significant if supercharged. For stockish power levels, I don't think there's much to gain here.
    Last edited by ByronRACE; 06-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.

welcome to the family

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    My IAT datalogged temperatures with an underhood "cold air" kit versus the stock airbox on a 90deg day, on the same stretch of freeway, at WOT were 11deg F *higher*. The factory air box does a much better job of routing cold fender-well air into the engine than any kit that sucks hot under-hood air.

On the dyno, with the hood open, the cold air kit made 3rwhp. I never tried it with the hood closed. This is comparing a 60K mile old used motorcraft panel filter, by the way...

I think the gains are far more significant if supercharged. For stockish power levels, I don't think there's much to gain here.
    If what is stated here is generally true the K&N/JLT CAI's are more eye/ear candy.

ByronRACE did you ever try the K&N drop-in filter in the stock air box?

K&N

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    If what is stated here is generally true the K&N/JLT CAI's are more eye/ear candy.

ByronRACE did you ever try the K&N drop-in filter in the stock air box?
    Never did; I'm not a fan of the oil/gauze filters. I spent too many hours cleaning MAF sensor elements to correct contamination induced fuel trim problems on customer cars. I run motorcraft paper filters on my street cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    Never did; I'm not a fan of the oil/gauze filters. I spent too many hours cleaning MAF sensor elements to correct contamination induced fuel trim problems on customer cars. I run motorcraft paper filters on my street cars.
    I wrap the oil style filters in paper towels and let them sit for a few days. Helps get some of the excess oil out of them. K&N's so far have been pretty good from the factory at not being over oiled. No issues with the MAF's on either car so far. Have a dry cone filter on the truck from Airaid.

We really like the JLT...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information