Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hesitation at moderate acceleration

Hesitation at moderate acceleration

Here's one for you folks: when driving my black betty at low speeds or highway speeds, if I accelerate moderately, then I get some severe hesitation. If I punch the gas, she buckles down and screams like normal. My question to you folks is, what the heck is it. Air filter, fuel filter or something more serious?

Thanks all.

how many miles with the current fuel filter? what mods if any do you have. how many miles on your car?

Fuel filter is a 10 min swap out and inexpensive.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

94K miles. I was thinking fuel filter. No mods. All stock. But wanted to get to the point if someone knew of something else it could be.

I think I am having the simular issue. I would describe it as a bucking. I happens under slight acceleration when the RPMs are low and the trans does not down shift? I want to say it is the torque converter in my case because it only happens under the 2800rpm stall speed of the stock converter.
    In my case i do not think it is fuel related issue due no hesitation from the motor.

Give more info on your issue to get more Ideas on what it is.

And if I am way off on this please chime in????

My mm is almost stock too and 90k on the odo.
    7508 of 7839 2003's
    251 of 418 Sliver Berch

Buy some MAF cleaner and spray down the MAF and IAC censors.
    Replace the Fuel Filter.
    Also, maybe plugs? or coils? Have you replaced the plugs at all? Did mine at 100k
    Marauderless....

Have you ever had to replace coils. If not, time to check them.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

i had this problem an it was a coil pack on number #3 minds bucked at between 30 an 40 mph.

Is it a bucking sensation? Or is it pretty much like from 40-60mph there is no power there?

My 04 vic does that, where you get to about 40mph and it just drones and there is really no power there unless you give it alot of gas.

I'm starting to think that I agree with BobMiddle. It only happens under 2800 RPM. Usually around 2K. In the past I have also noticed a squeak when shifting at very high RPM which may be another symptom of the torque converter. I am changing the fuel filter tomorrow. If that does not fix the issue, then I will replace the pluges and clean the MAF or replace with a K&N CAI kit. If that doesn't fix it, then it's off to get a new torque converter.

Thanks for the info folks, but it appears that since the issue does not present it self when in idle, that it is something with the TC.

I have not come up with a true answer waiting to have some $$ to fix before I take it in. Just my thoughts with my issue. Anyone eles have experience with a TC going out?????? It would help me too.
    7508 of 7839 2003's
    251 of 418 Sliver Berch

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmiddle View Post
    I have not come up with a true answer waiting to have some $$ to fix before I take it in. Just my thoughts with my issue. Anyone eles have experience with a TC going out?????? It would help me too.
    It's kind of unusual for a stall torque to go bad unless they were bad before they were put in ans show their ugly head right away. They are usualy built well enough to hold up. But if somthing gets inside of them from the tranny that is a differnt story.

Loss of pressure from a cloged tranny filter on the other hand could be an issue.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Go with coil packs before fooling with the TC. Its cheaper. I had the same problem of bucking with no ill affects at idle or higher rpm. Dealt with the issue on a couple of occasions. rolling along just fine till about 45 mph or around 1500-2000 rpm then step on it and the stumble bucking starts till higher in the rpm range. Most noticable when crossing railroad tracks and getting back underway.

You can do it in your driveway. Buy one or two coils and swap one at a time. Rev engine up to 2000 gran after it is warmed up. You will be able to hear engine breaking up till you swap out the bad one.

P.s be careful of the release tab.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Quote Originally Posted by Joey3571 View Post
    Here's one for you folks: when driving my black betty at low speeds or highway speeds, if I accelerate moderately, then I get some severe hesitation. If I punch the gas, she buckles down and screams like normal. My question to you folks is, what the heck is it. Air filter, fuel filter or something more serious?

Thanks all.
    Over the years I have had this problem with many cars as I buy the cheap gas. Gas in California is $3.399 at my local name brand station.
    So I would spray down the carb (immediate fix) or put fuel additive in the gas tank (wait and see).

With injectors on the Marauder, your choice is limited to adding injector cleaner to the gas tank. The bottle of injector cleaner is a lot less cost than a mechanic.

Tell me in a week when you know the results.

Jim

It's kind of unusual for a stall torque to go bad unless they were bad before they were put in ans show their ugly head right away. They are usualy built well enough to hold up. But if somthing gets inside of them from the tranny that is a differnt story.

Loss of pressure from a cloged tranny filter on the other hand could be an issue.
    It all started to kappen a few weeks after a tranny flush. I have allready done a seafoam treatment. So for my situation the TC is sounding more and more likley
    7508 of 7839 2003's
    251 of 418 Sliver Berch

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmiddle View Post
    It all started to kappen a few weeks after a tranny flush. I have allready done a seafoam treatment. So for my situation the TC is sounding more and more likley

Key word is a flush!

They never change out the tranny filter any more and they do get cloged with clutch material over time and can reduce fluid pressure.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information