Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain, the great paint killer!!!

Rain, the great paint killer!!!

Having owned Ford products all my life and pulling for them at races and such I am having a change of heart. I have been very careful as not to do anything that would void my warranty. I have oil changed at Ford dealerships every time, brake work and everything done at their place. Have pitting of my paint on the hood, trunk and top. I talked to my local Ford dealership back in October and he said no problem just take it to a body shop and have it looked at but I wanted to wait until winter was subsiding. He said it was a hassle to get paint stuff approved but he would try. I think well I will take it back to my dealer where purchased because he is the one who made the money off the sale so he could have the hassle. I take it in last Friday and he sends me to the Caddy dealership because they do not have a paint shop. I take it over and call the sm at Mercury place and they denied my claim because they said it was acid rain. I told him I did not know that I had to buy a garage when I purchased the car. He said there was nothing he could do, which I do not believe. I told him I bought a $20,000 honda 4 years ago and it had sat in the same drive way for 4 years and this $35,000 MM (premium type car not bottom ender) for only 1 year and the honda still did not have any signs of paint issues. When I purchased the car it had some sand scratches on the hood and they buffed them out, this is where the most of the pits are. I asked him if buffing did not make the paint thinner (which I know it does) and he says no because if they had made it too thin it would have spider webbing and it the buffer had went through it would have white spots. Then he tells me how he have got 32 years experience in this stuff. I do not care how much experience he has I want my car fixed. I bought the car believing Ford knew how to paint cars and knew it rains in North Carolina. This is not my fault. I waxed it at least every 2 weeks before the problem appeared so it is not like I did not take care of the car, but we should not have to wax or wash or anything to keep the paint from pitting. He said take it to another dealer that had a body shop and see if they would fix it but not to say he said so. I called the Ford line 1-800-392-3673 and they were no help, zero, zilch, nada, nothing. The lady says if it is not a factory defect they can not do anything any, the dealership was their eyes and ears so they had to trust them. I believe the sm just does not want to fool with this. I say the 36 month bumper to bumper is a rip off. I am not trying to be dishonest or dupe Ford out of money. Right is right and wrong is wrong and they are just plain wrong. If this does not get resolved I will never buy another Ford product, every! If a Honda's paint can hold up I believe the MM's paint should be able to do the same and even out perform it. You might say don't blame Ford, save it, I called their hot line and they were no help. I am going to take it to a dealer who has a body shop and see if they will help. Dishearted, disgusted and down right mad!!!!
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Don't let this go. There is always another level to escalate to. Zone reps are charged to save the manufacturer money, save the dealer money, and help the customer, in that order. If your zone rep is less proactive he concentrates on the first two charges and ignores the last. Mention the Marauder forum and tell them that you have already told us all about this and ask them what they would like you say in follow up.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Do what d say's ^^ and get your printer going and copy the paint problems and remedies down. Their should be a half a book here .
    They'll put you off until they see your really serious, the squeeky wheel gets the grease........
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Quote Originally Posted by dwasson
    Zone reps are charged to save the manufacturer money, save the dealer money, and help the customer, in that order.
    Zone Reps, or Field Service Managers, do not do anything to save the Dealership money.
    Your dealership gets reimbursed for any warranty work it does.
    They get reimbursed poorly also...
    Your dealership is Ford's last concern.
    Your dealership is a Service Center, just like Joe's Service Center or Bob's Service Center.
    The difference is that they SELL vehicles directly from the manufacturer,
    and they are trained on how to SERVICE and REPAIR these vehicles according to the Manufacturer's Standards.

Your dealership has the unfortunate advantage here, because they are stuck as your middle man to the manufacturer.
    And it is unfortunate that FORD is our manufacturer.
    Since FORD has been sued by so many individuals, and has be plagued by so many recalls, and the Firestone fiasco,
    FORD is looking to cut its losses everywhere possible.

What you need to do is to ask your dealership to get a Field Service Manager to come out to see your Marauder.
    They visit their area dealships about every two weeks.
    Find out when they will be there next, and make an appointment to see them.
    If your dealership REFUSES to make the appointment, just ask them if you need to call FORD CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE to get an appointment made.
    They will shutup and make your appointment because the last thing they want is a Customer Assistance case opened on them.

Take your car to every paint shop in your area, and get from them, IN WRITING,
    what the cause of your paint problem is, and how much to cure the problem.
    EVIDENCE OF MANUFACTURER DEFECT is all you need to get approval.
    When you hand over to the FORD FSM a fist full of estimates,
    they will have no choice but to approve your claim.
    Your dealership will NOT be involved at this point.

You will be told how much FORD will reimburse you for correcting the defect.
    Take that figure, get your car repainted, and submit the bills to your dealership for reimbursement.
    Reimbursement can take 2 - 4 weeks.

The most important advice I can give you is...

Stay Calm, Be Confident, treat your Dealership as if they were your best friend,
    and NEVER be afraid to ask questions or challenge decisions.

I had a 1998 Contour SE Sport (24V Duratec V6 ATX).
    It lost it first ATX at 31,000 miles.
    ATX was serviced at Ford's recommended interval.
    All Service was done at my dealership.
    No one else ever touched this Contour.

Replacement ATX FAILED at 81,000 miles. (50,000 miles later)
    Dealership could not do anything for me because my Extended Warranty was expired,
    and the FORD REMAN ATX only came with a 3yr/36k mile replacement warranty.
    My dealership had no authorization power to approve anything.
    So we go to the FSM...

FSM tells me that a 1998 Contour with 80k miles is an OLD CAR.
    I told him that Ford's REPLACEMENT ATX only had 50,000 miles on it,
    and it should have NEVER failed.
    It was serviced MULTIPLE times, yet I still have a bad ATX.
    I even mentioned to him that I was a moderator on the CONTOUR.ORG website,
    and that I was in charge of the TRANSAXLE forum.
    I told him of the numerous complaints and failures of this ATX on the forum,
    and I was prepared to hand him evidence of design flaws,
    that would lead to the reason for the failure, as well as statements from PROMINENT FIGURES
    from corporations that have a hand in the R&D of the CD4E ATX,
    and how they correlated with my ATX failure.
    FSM ignored these facts and stood by the 80,000 mile OLD CAR decision.

I wrote a letter to BILL FORD @ Ford Executive Park.
    I sent him a copy of EVERY SERVICE INVOICE for the Contour.
    One of Mr. Ford's Assitants called me.
    Not even Mr. FORD would talk to me.
    They agreed with the FSM and basically told me I was SOL.

I wasn't looking for complete replacement, I was only asking for some assitance.
    If FORD had only payed for HALF of the repair, I would have been happy,
    but I didn't even get that.
    The second replacement FORD REMAN ATX ran me $2,500.

So I swore I would never buy another FWD car again, if it was a FORD Vehicle.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

willie,

I'm sorry to hear about the hassle you're facing. I used to think I was one of the lucky ones with no paint issues. Now that my MM is about 16 months old, I know that's not the case. I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. Not sure what I'm going to do...

Logan's repaint looks AWESOME. I've seen Todd's (TAF) in person and it looks great too - but his wasn't warranty work. IF (a big IF IMO) I get Ford to agree to repaint mine, I wonder if it would look better or worse? Seems there are both pro and con sides on this site regarding repainting.

In '86 my dad bought a new Tbird Turbo Coupe. I bought one a little later (an '87) from another dealer. Soon, the clear coat started to flake off of the roof on both cars. Ford said "acid rain" and that GA was one of the most "acidic" acid rain locations in the country.

Dad's dealer repainted his roof anyway and it looked great. My dealer wouldn't do anything. I still have the car, and the paint is terrible! It looks dirty when freshly washed and waxed.

I don't want my MM to end up like that. But I don't want the hassle of weeks without my car and the potential of it looking worse in the end.

What's a guy supposed to do?
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

My car was made in 08/02...so go figure...acid rain or not there are lots of cars without pits...acid rain did not start in 02 or 03 and other people are making paint that is not piting...I do not give up easily and that's for sure because I've got more time than money...not ready to cry calf rope yet...and being a Ford fan it just kills me that honda can do better paint on a crv than I got on a Marauder...was looking at buying an escape or a liberty...well this has made my mind up...willie
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Quote Originally Posted by Macon Marauder
    Logan's repaint looks AWESOME. I've seen Todd's (TAF) in person and it looks great too - but his wasn't warranty work. IF (a big IF IMO) I get Ford to agree to repaint mine, I wonder if it would look better or worse? Seems there are both pro and con sides on this site regarding repainting.

What's a guy supposed to do?
    I can tell you this...the guy over at Team Collision (the body shop for Team Ford here in Atlanta) lays down the BEST paint I think I have EVER seen. Bring it up here, (down here for you Willie) and I'll hook you up with the Manager, and let them take a look. I know Bob (67435animal) had his hood, roof and rear decklid painted there and he can attest to the skills as well.

Paint troubles don't scare me from getting a Marauder...the second I can, I will.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Willie I am truly sorry your dealer is jacking you around. I am having my car repainted not by the dealer that sold me the car, but by my local Ford dealer that I have been doing bussiness with for 30 years. At no time did they fight me, the dealer is the one that tells the factory what the problem is and they will be paid for the work by the factory. The dealer gets paid for the work, so I don't understand why the acid rain story, I have pictures of my damaged paint and will post them if you need them, Javier.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

I had my hood and roof repainted because of the white spots plus my rear bumper cover replaced and painted because of poor paint ALL UNDER warranty; now the paint looks great.

I have a great dealer (Team Collision in Marietta as Todd has told you). I bought the car at an LM dealer but Team Ford services it and does all the warranty work. They told me up front what they could do under warranty and what would be my nickel. No arguments; just the straight goods. I did have their guys do some more work for me at my expense because it was my fault.

Keep pushing and what's right will happen for you.

Bob
    Last edited by 67435animal; 02-05-2004 at 04:00 PM.

First off, pleeeease don't take the following in a bad way.

The poor paint, scratches, and blems from the factory should absolutely be covered by the warranty. Blems found up until the magic 12,000 mile mark should also be covered.

But....paint issues as a result of sap, bird poop, and acid rain once you have had possesion of that vehicle for a reasonable amount of time are on YOU or YOUR insurance company. Regardless of how much you wax, it's gonna happen from time to time, and it's not the dealer, nor the manufacturers fault.

I'll admit a better paint job helps, such as grandpa's black AUDI S4, it'll take anything and buff out. But my wifes lincoln, my fiat, and several of my former gm's and ricers were victoms of some nasty bird poop, sap, and acid rain. These marks if not caught IMMEDIATELY, are permanent and un-buffable. I detailed cars for many years, and know many tricks to removing some of the worst blems. Original quality paint helps, but sometimes the foreign matter is just too volitale and burns the finish.

There for, yes, you should have a garage if you don't find natures elements acceptable.
    2017 Niro

TripleTransAm Guest
    I agree with Barry to an extent... however, I found bird poop to be instant death for my Marauder's finish no matter me using the whizz-bang cure-for-all-ills eat-your-heart-out-KITT molecular-bonded-shell Zaino products (instructions followed to the T, multiple-coats included).

Does this mean our MM's finish is ultra-weak? While I believe this to be true, I have to wonder if choice of WAX/polish has a great deal to do with this. My WS6 sported several trophy bird poops over a month or two, during the past summer (why didn't I wash it off? Long story... PM me if interested). The car has been waxed with Mothers products since new. Result: no visible damage. None. In the case on my MM, 2 hours of bird poop contact was enough to result in serious finish damage.

So I gotta ask... what kind of polish / wax products were you using?

I had the teflon put on before I took delivery and so far my paint is bulletproof except for a couple of rock chips, car washes, bird droppings are no problem. 1 year old still looks like new.
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

In an early thread, I talked about my problem!
    Bird "guano" is killer! Until I got my black Marauder, I had no idea how devastating that goo was.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Black/DCharcoal
    Reinhart Stage I w/SCT Custom Tuner & 4:30's (install in progress!)
    FlowMaster Deltaflow 40's; K & N Filter
    McGard Wheel Locks; SS Inserts
    Smoked rear Liscense Plate; No front LP Bracket.
    Born: 10.08.02; Dlvrd From Windy City
    Adopted 8.10.03 12:15 AM
    Goals: Stage II, III . . .

LL 1969 AMX - 390, Doug's Headers, Al Edolbrock Highrise, Shelby Cam/Kit, Crager, ET Bars, Accel, Holley Dual Line 780, Hurst, SW gages, cus clutch, T10. elect fuel pump, 11" RT's.

I responded to your pm before reading your post. It sounds like you already did what I suggested. I also have this issue but my car is 18 months old w/only 6K miles on it. While it stays under a car port w/a cover now, I did not have the carport constructed until 4 months after I got my car. I figured the 4 coats of Zaino would have given me the "state of the art "protection they claim but alas, it didn't. I may have pursued it more but I don't have a great deal of faith in our painter and was afraid it may end up worse. I hope they follow up w/you. Good luck.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information