Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CamTick..blown off by customer service

CamTick..blown off by customer service

Well I am part of the 50% (blown off by the FORD REP) in regards to the ticking issue. They told my service manager that there is no fix for the problem yet and sent me on my way.

That sucks...I need to get names from folks that got this issue repaired and who they talked to at the customer service center.

I know there has been alot of posts, and I mean alot, in regards to this issue. I am currently so swamped, I cannot find the time to try and re-read all the threads to figure out whom of you have had this issue resolved. I know several have.

At this time, I beg of you folks to drop me line or reply here as to who your dealership spoke with at the customer service center that got this fix on the roll. Perhaps a PM with a VIN number so that I may have my guy pull the OASIS to prove to him that people ARE getting this issue resolved.

I will search, and print everything I can find, but if anyone is willing to add, and help me directly, it will be greatly appreciated.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 05-11-2004 at 10:54 PM.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    I will search, and print everything I can find, but if anyone is willing to add, and help me directly, it will be greatly appreciated.
    Barry: I am working on a fix and hope to be able to report something in the next few weeks. I will keep you "posted."

Barry - I had my driver side head replaced last month under warranty. The tech found lots of play in the #6 and #8 exhaust valves. After getting the new head and valvetrain installed, I attempted to get the Reinhart head cooling kit installed ASAP. Unfortunately, the tick came back while I was on my road trip to DR's. It's now worse than before; I can hear it from inside the car throughout the RPM range. I don't know what to do, but I'm going back to me service manager to explain my case again... good luck with yours.
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

I've recently noticed that ticking sound also, but it isn't very loud. This is such a common occurence among us now, that I'm beginning to wonder if it's merely something that's inherent in the 32 valve 4.6L engine. For instance, is there anyone here who has owned a 99-02 Cobra? And if so, did they also have this ticking noise???

fuel injector

Mine is still at the dealer and when i first got there 2 different techs were on hand to listen and they BOTH agreed that it was fuel injector tick, very common of 4.6 DOHC they said, I take their word for it. you can only hear it when the hood is up though.

Certain motors exhibit the sound... but it hasn't been narrowed down to a specific production run. The Cobra motors are all hand assembled and, for some reason, don't experience the "tick" as commonly as we do. Our Intech versions are really just mass-produced garbage parts in a good block. If it comes down to doing another head on my car, I'm just going to have the heads sent to Fox Lake and re-worked. Might as well do something cool if they have to come apart again.
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)

I can hear mine only while it's idling. I wonder how an injector can make a metal to metal sounding ticking noise like that. And for that matter, I heard the ticking the day before I began the S/Cer installation, and I still hear it now. And the S/Cer kit came w/different injectors, so I have a tough time believing that it can be injectors. if it is, then many injectors on many cars would do this. No?
    Last edited by BillyGman; 05-11-2004 at 11:54 PM.

AAAAHHH, just as I suspected. I think everyone should take a look at the thread titled "Puff of Smoke on start up" which is in the "Gargare" forum. Checkout post #6 by Marauder03. Sure enough, he states in his post that he previously owned a 99 Cobra which BTW had the same 32 valve DOHC configuration as our Marauders do, and his Cobra also had that ticking noise all the time, however it did NOT consume oil, and the engine was fine right up to 100K on the clock when he parted w/it.

So just as I supected, it's sounding to me that unless this ticking noise get's very loud, and is heard at a considerbly wide RPM scale which also extends way past idle, then I'd say it's likely nothing to worry about, and doesn't have to imply that it's something that needs tending to either. This must be pretty normal for these engines. Especially considering the fact that it's happening to so many of our cars, and how even Constable who has just had a major cylinder head obverhaul work performed by the dealer just 1200 miles ago, and already he too has this ticking. Really, I wouldn't worry about this unless it's very loud.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 05-12-2004 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    I've recently noticed that ticking sound also, but it isn't very loud. This is such a common occurence among us now, that I'm beginning to wonder if it's merely something that's inherent in the 32 valve 4.6L engine. For instance, is there anyone here who has owned a 99-02 Cobra? And if so, did they also have this ticking noise???
    Billy: I owned both a '96 and a '99 Cobra. Both exhibited ticking from the cams, just as my MM does. It is/was not excessively loud and I can't hear it from inside the car. Of course I can hear it when I idle next to a drive thru like Wendy's or Mickey D's. Neither car was "EVER" retruned to the dealer for this noise. The '96 had 40K when I got rid of it, broke my foot, wife wouldn't drive it and needed an slush box. The '99 was right at 100K when I let it go. The only time the '99 ever had any engine work done to it, was when Ford recalled all the '99's for low performance issues. I recall this was and intake replacement and new exhaust from the cats back. The MM, prior to the engine change, had 53K on the old engine!

I can't vouch for my MM now, as they just replaced the engine for issues caused when the thermostat struck closed back in February. But I can tell you that the old engine had #4 cylinder hot spots on the cylinder wall, and #8 had vavle issues. Will have to wait and see about the new engine. Should have it back in my hands either later today or Thursday morning.

I have also owned 2 CV's, a '92 and '02. Even the two valve engine exhibited some ticking from the cams and valves.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

So it must be like a trade mark occurence from the Ford 4.6L overhead cam motors, weather they be Dual cam or single cam.I hadn't really even noticed my engine making the noise until I began to listen for it as a result of everyone talking about it on this board.

I've had a 97 T-Bird since new and now has 80,000+ on it. It's just now starting to use oil but is quiet as a good sewing machine. My MM sounds like one of those TDI VW's. The noise changed pitch a little when I switched from 5W20 to 5W30. My brother-in-law has a 97 Cobra and he runs 10W30 in that. I wasn't ready to try that heavy an oil but I probably will since my next oil change should hit around July. As for an engine like this having a "normal" noise doesn't sound right. Most of Ford's vehicles use the same style injector and no one else is complaining about injector noise. It sounds like a cover up by Ford so they can save money and not deal with this issue since they need to money to fix the messes in other higher production cars and trucks.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

But should we be convinced that it's an injector noise? I find that a bit hard to believe that an injector would cause a metal to metal sounding ticking noise. Furthermore, my Marauder is making this noise w/different injectors installed which came w/the S/Cer kit. And it's the same noise as it made w/the stock injectors.

Blog Entries
    I recc an oil analysis, they are only $15-$20 and may indicate if there is a problem.

I have not noticed a tick from my w/ 23K.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

I have noticed no sounds from mine thus far...except I'm getting some detonation in warmer weather...I've moved the heat shield away from the radiator hose, and I put no less than 93 in it...I'm still looking for a fix...Grr!

But I love reading these threads, I can't WAIT to own a Marauder

You could tell me they all blow up at 63000 miles exactly...I'll still get one.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Billy - it wouldn't matter if you got new injectors or not, they'd still make the injector "tick" as they fire through their order.

I just got back from my dealership where I was discussing the future of my car. I then stopped at JDM Engineering and spoke with Jim D'Amore (nationally known Lightning & Cobra tuner). Jim finally enlightened me about the differences between the "updated" head and the original: improved water jacket design. He also told me about his "fix" for Cobras that arer exhibiting the "tick". He said he installs his JDM / Kooks long tube headers on the cars and the tick disappears. He said that the headers are so efficient at pulling heat away from the head, that they completely rid the car of the tick. He was astonished when I told him that I have the Kooks setup on my MM and it still chatters.

I agree that these motors will continue to operate fine in current form. The tick is more of an annoyance than anything. We KNOW that it shouldn't be making that noise.

BTW: For those of you who have had a head replaced -

Check the length of the cylinder head just below the valve cover on either side. There should be a long blue painted stripe on it. The CORRECT updated version of the head has this stripe, the factory head and other versions do not have the stripe. (Thanks Jim!)

As for my tick... I'm going to hold out for a recall. It's not a life-threatening issue to the motor. With this many people complaining about it, thoug, they'll have to do something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information