Thread: OEM Radio Affected by Lights

OEM Radio Affected by Lights

I want to make sure there is not a scenario I have overlooked before I buy another radio. Recently when listening to talk radio, plosive sounds are completely cut out. The problem progressed when driving at night. When using the dash light dimmer, it seems the switch increases and decreases power to the radio. With no headlights on, it is hit or miss if the radio comes on at all. The last problem I had with the radio was fixed by unplugging the power source at the back of the radio and reinstalling. No luck with that this time around. Is the radio completely toast? Thanks.

These radios loosing reception are unfortunately normal. When I turn my rear defogger on the radio basically goes silent. Otherwise it works ok. Not sure if you have a separate issue or just the normal reception failure
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

The original OEM MM AM/FM radio is known for failing after 10 to 12 years. Have you tried to see if the CD player is operational? Most everyone replaces the OEM radio with either a Pioneer or Kenwood double-din or the OEM 05 Ford Escape Audiophile radio which plugs right in using the same connections. You can find the OEM 05 Ford Escape radio in most junkyards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    The original OEM MM AM/FM radio is known for failing after 10 to 12 years. Have you tried to see if the CD player is operational? Most everyone replaces the OEM radio with either a Pioneer or Kenwood double-din or the OEM 05 Ford Escape Audiophile radio which plugs right in using the same connections. You can find the OEM 05 Ford Escape radio in most junkyards.
    I have heard of the reception loss and have always been surprised mine was still going. The cd player cuts plosives out just like FM radio. At night the buttons flash in sync on and off like power is coming and going. Sometimes when the MM has been running for a while on a trip it starts to work better. When the car is first started the radio usually cannot turn on at all. Thank you for the recommendation on the Escape replacement.

Thread Information