Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Taillights: How?

LED Taillights: How?

I really like the fast-on and fast-off look of the LED blink, what would it take to get this setup on the Marauder? Surely there must be a way with LED wedge-bulbs and load equalizers...Can any gurus chime in?

A few people are investigating this over at the Impala Forums that I own. In theory the idea doesn't sound so difficult, but there are a lot of suprise gremlins that like to pop up on this project, and no one likes popups

One of them, as you said, is voltage. Currently, someone at my forums has found a work around for this and does not involve resistors (waste of energy, and lots of heat), but I'm not sure if the application could involve the Marauder.

Second problem is LED direction and application. All of the cars you see that have LED lights have been engineered onto the car - both the LEDs AND the housing/reflector. You will need some sort of device like this. We've found that simply adding in LED bulbs will not achieve safe lighting conditions. Again, every car is different, so the Marauder may be better or worse with this condition.

Those are just two of the things to keep in mind. Unfortunately they cannot be debated - you have to start digging to find out of something it right, wrong, or just wont work.

Good luck.
    Ignorance is Bliss. I hope you're enjoying it.

TRILOGY № 86 - 13.5PSI
    "Lidio-Tuned" : 386.5RWHP 426.9RWTQ

looking97233 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by looking97233
    The Festoon Base bulbs for the interior would be a nice touch

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Try looking in Street Rodder magazine. I remember seeing an ad in there of a company that will make custom LED panels in any size and shape like blackf0rk mentioned.

hdwrench Guest
    be careful if u buy some of the plug in LED replacement bulbs... i bought some off ebay a few months back. they claimed to be twice as bright as stock etc... in reality they were not even as bright as stock when compared side to side. luckily i got a refund

in some applications dunno (about MM specifically) a load equalizer maybe be required if you go with non stock turn signal bulbs... if you dont they will blink super fast

The new '06 Grand Maquis are supposed to have LED tailights. Maybe they would fit.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

remember bulbs that blink needs resitors or you have trilogy charged blinkers to add to your list of mods.

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

I bet the 06 Taillamps will fit our Marauders like the 05 Interior door handles. They look like they will, but not quite

I think that the panther cars have a lighting computer. If that is the case then resistances need to be matched or strange things can happen.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

TripleTransAm Guest
    The 06+ taillamps might work with a different light module that already takes into account the LED-specific current loads. So it might not be a simple plug and play, but rather a plug and plug and plug and play (ie. other things to adapt).

Or maybe Ford will do what it usually does with its wiring and somehow design a circuit that ties together the taillamps, left front speaker, dome light, and radio display.

edit: didn't see your reply while I was replying, Dan.

hitchhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by looking97233
    YES!

Thanks and the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchhiker
    YES!

Thanks and the tip.

Slow down there...
    I already have (4) 3157 wedge LED bulbs and load equalizers, from them, and when I plug the bulb in it won't even light. Add the load equalizer, still nothing. This is why I started this thread. I find it odd they wont even light up, and the bulbs are brand new.

flip the bulb/assembly around. These are polarity sensitive.

other site was
    www.autolumination.com

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information