Thread: Build Sheets?

Build Sheets?

Just wondering, do they still stuff build sheets away somewhere in modern cars?
    Is there something hiding away stuffed in the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaft333
    Just wondering, do they still stuff build sheets away somewhere in modern cars?
    Is there something hiding away stuffed in the interior?
    I've been in just about every aspect of modern Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars and have not seen a build sheet anywhere. With the automation and computerization of the build process, I don't think paper build sheets are used anymore. Someone that works at the factory may better tell you but I think a bar code system is used at the factory.

There is something accessible by dealer personnel called HVBOM (Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials). It is VIN specific and give the part # of many of the items that specific car was built with.

Every once in a while, we find something left behind by the factory. Between the body and frame of a Navigator, I found a Michigan newspaper with the same build date of the truck, pretty cool.
    Current:
    2004 SB

Sold:
    17th of 3213 2004 Marauders
    9th DTR of 982
    and best of all,
    71st Trilogy

2003 TR Mach 1
    2012 RR BOSS 302
    2014 RR GT500
    2003 AB Mach 1

MI2QWK4U Guest
    If i remember right, at the st. thomas assembly plant tour, they menioned how the cars were built and how the workers knew what to install... Basically, there is a transponder or something that moves down the line with the frame, as it approaches a work station, it displays what the car is going to be, and what part at that station to install. Remember, they made the crown vic, crown vic sport, crown vic police, crown vic extended taxi, marquis models, and the marauder. For example, they know what radio goes in the car, what floor mats, wheels, etc. Each car was planned out in advance in the computer, and the transponder is basically the build sheet. Hope that helps.

Humm, all I've found were some bread bag ties. Still looking for rubber bands.
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

We have build sheets at Oakville Assembly Complex where the Freestar/Monterey is built. Yes, the transponder is there which comunicates to all the computer screens at the work stations, but there are still paper build sheets taped to the outside of the vehicles. These sheets are taken off and dumped into the garbage right after wheel install.
    I think if you do a search at www.blueovalforums.com there is someone on there that can assist you with a build sheet, but the sheet just has a bunch of numbers and letters on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadasvt
    We have build sheets at Oakville Assembly Complex where the Freestar/Monterey is built. Yes, the transponder is there which comunicates to all the computer screens at the work stations, but there are still paper build sheets taped to the outside of the vehicles. These sheets are taken off and dumped into the garbage right after wheel install.
    Last year when the MV III Group took the tour of the Rouge Plant (F-150s), we could see the build sheets attached to the vehicle. In fact, I recall three sheets per vehicle. One taped to the open hood, one on the floor inside the cab (before carpet and seat installation) and one on the rear of the cab.

While I couldn't decipher the sheet codes from the platform above the floor, I did notice that every 25th vehicle was a Lincoln Mark LT. The F-150 sheets were black lettering on white sheets The Lincolns were white lettering on black sheets.

So, the Rouge was still using build sheets as of last August 2005. If one is left in there, its probably under the carpet. The other two are exterior and probably simply discarded.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

KTP uses the build sheets as well.

Build sheets used at MTP.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

They use to call 'em line setting tickets!
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Blog Entries
    Hey Shaft 333! I went as far as writing the President of Mercury for this. They sent me a beautiful letter detailing the building of my 04 Marauder and the equipment it had but no build sheet. They advised they couldn't get me one. No indication they don't actaully exist or not. I watch the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction on the Speed Channel and they always make a big deal about the Build Sheet. When I reported this months ago one of the members suggested if you look up under the car in front of the trunk it may be taped up there. I've been under my Big M and couldn't find it.

Build sheet, line ticket, Auto-Tel, broadcast sheet (any of you guys remember GM's Fisher "body drop" sheets?). No matter what they call em, it appears that they usually just dump them now days (as Canadasvt said) instead of stuffing it into some hidden spot on the finished product. Kind of a shame.... V.I.N. changing, car theft badguys would ocassionally miss getting rid of one or two well hidden ones in the past.
    Last edited by wsmylie; 07-26-2006 at 09:16 PM.
    04 MM - SILVER/FLINT, TRILOGY S/C #81, SKILLFULLY INSTALLED BY CARFIXER & TALLBOY.

I recovered several stolen / altered vin vehicles because of the build sheet.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17