Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stop making Marauders?

Quote Originally Posted by puptent View Post
    I am amazed that Ford made money on the MM. I know the Panther platform, in general, was a cash cow... big yellow taxis, cop cars, etc. The salesman at Kumpf was blowin' smoke, I guess. Proof of concept, chase down a Camaro. Still, I loved the car from day one. Actually tried to work over a plain white wrapper Crown Vic first, gave up and concentrated on my Mopars, a Dart Swinger, a convertible Dart, and a '68 Matador, all gone but the Swinger, to buy the silver '07 MGM. A nice project, but not what I really wanted.At this point in time, I'm glad that Ford ended up with a limited edition car, whether intentional or not.
    Keep in mind the Marauder aside from a few specific parts is a parts bin car so development costs weren't as high as a blank piece of paper car.

The 4.6l DOHC was not the first choice for engine. I recall Steve Babcock's saying more than once, they wanted to use a pushrod engine, but the mod motor engineers had all the castings destroyed to prevent it from happening.

Tons of what ifs.... I'm just glad I've had a chance to buy five of them over the years lol.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    The 4.6l DOHC was not the first choice for engine. I recall Steve Babcock's saying more than once, they wanted to use a pushrod engine, but the mod motor engineers had all the castings destroyed to prevent it from happening.

Tons of what ifs.... I'm just glad I've had a chance to buy five of them over the years lol.
    People love low-end. The mod motor's low end isn't great. A pushrod would helped the 'no grunt' thing a lot.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

Expenses to Re-engineer the drivetrain for drive-by-wire e-throttle hit Ms. Ford's desk on the wrong day. Plug pulled... as I recall Mr. Babcock stating at Dream Cruise in '07.

If you were around at the beginning, you'll recall it was widely believed that MM engines really loosened up and started to make power around 5,000 miles. I test drove a squeaky new one and my wife and I both thought it was a pig compared to my 220 hp SHO.

I bought a used '03 in '04... it felt better, but still sleepy since they were tuned for the EPA and MPG's, not us. Nevertheless, sluggish test drives likely led to sluggish sales. In hindsight, we know it was an awesome platform. The supercharged version would have been over the top amazing... but it wasn't meant to be.
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post

The idea behind the pushrod 5.0l was that whatever power numbers Mercury put in the car there was a huge aftermarket to make it more.

Quote Originally Posted by the fat bastid View Post
    People love low-end. The mod motor's low end isn't great. A pushrod would helped the 'no grunt' thing a lot.
    A 5.4 DOHC would have fixed that. Easily could have sourced the intake from the Aussies. The "it Wouldn't fit" mentality just meant it wouldn't fit without modifying the engine compartment. Which meant higher production cost and development among what already seemed like rushing a car into production.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Price + Supply > Demand.

Very true - Supply in year one was too big not enough of the demand to continue on the history of the car
    2003 MM 300A
    #738 of 7,838 BLK
    Build date: 6/6/2002
    Adopted: 2/05/2013

MODS:

Metco control arms, Addco sway bars, TCE brake lines, Gatorback belt, remote start, underbody lights, custom doorsills. Black with custom silver hood stripes (S-55 theme)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT
    Adopted on12/09/18 from chief455

COMING SOON-Trilogy #005 THANKS CWright-
    I am afraid you have awakened a sleeping Giant

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=view&id=14156

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post
    Im happy for you bro! Let the mods begin! I hear the mod bug broke his stinger when he heard you pulled the trigger!

BIG BIG thanks to the GOD of marauder parts ( Darren) I am the 1st winner of Darren bag of fun give-away

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard View Post
    agree on both, really wanted a Mach 1, still love 'em but it wasn't the car I was expecting either. Now the new GT350!
    Yep - awesome car!!

Still love both the Marauder and the Mach 1, they'll be in the garage for quite a while, although with my wife's new SS convertible it's getting crowded.

'04 MM~Black/Light Flint

Special Service Vehicles at:
    http://www.sspmustang.org

Marauder was always just a couple/few year runs. I would not have handed over the $$ at full price for them. I got mine brand new. I am a Z planner so get really nice pricing, plus all rebates. Price was the same as all the other cars I was looking at then. The Marauder had more class than all the other crap. Plus, I like limited edition cars. Clearly the best car I have ever owned. Even if it is a Grandpa's car.

I think it only ran for two years, because that is the history of MARAUDER.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

The transmission slipping into overdrive at 25 mph certainly didn't help a motor that came alive at 3000 rpm. It was like all or nothing.

and a '68 Matador

no Matadors in 1968

signed,
    AMC Police

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information