Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 31 Splines Question

Blog Entries
    I am happy with what's in sig - my 31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

So as I research the c clip eliminators it seems like it depends on the install and the brand used. They seem to add a safety benefit too. But you all are saying that that's not true? I see some say they leak but a lot of others say they use them on their daily drivers without any issue. Anyway, I like the idea of a safety factor, but not the whole leaking bit... And those who are saying not to get it and the Detroit locker have personal experience with these items?

Quote Originally Posted by chefcaleb View Post
    So as I research the c clip eliminators it seems like it depends on the install and the brand used. They seem to add a safety benefit too. But you all are saying that that's not true? I see some say they leak but a lot of others say they use them on their daily drivers without any issue. Anyway, I like the idea of a safety factor, but not the whole leaking bit... And those who are saying not to get it and the Detroit locker have personal experience with these items?
    "C" clip eliminators do provide some security but IMHO that is overridden by the leaking or potential for leaking. A majority say don't use them on a street driven vehicle.

DO NOT get any type of locking rear. I don't know how much clearer we can make this, unless you and your passengers like to hop around corners with a lot of banging noises. My son had a Camaro that had a locking rear - for the track - and it was horrible, just horrible driving in anything but a straight line.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

"C" clip eliminators do provide some security but IMHO that is overridden by the leaking or potential for leaking. A majority say don't use them for a street driven vehicle.

DO NOT get any type of locking rear. I don't know how much clearer we can make this, unless you and your passengers like to hop around corners with a lot of banging noises. My son had a Camaro that had a locking rear - for the track - and it was horrible, just horrible driving in anything but a straight line.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Well I switched to 31 spline axles and I went with the Auburn ected diff. That way it will be a true limited diff for my daily driving and I'm able to switch to locked when I want while driving. Seems to be the true best of both worlds. I had time to research it and those who race say the ected is a very good diff. Anyway, thanks everyone for warning me about the locker.

I’m hard as hell on mine with a manual trans and my plain Jane Ford Racing 31 spline axles and diff are just fine..

Might I also suggest a diff stud kit and a solid pinion spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

+1 on the stud kit & solid space. I'd also recommend a new cover with bearing supports.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    +1 on the stud kit & solid space. I'd also recommend a new cover with bearing supports.
    Yes, I'm getting a reinforced cover just as you suggested in my question to you about 4.10 gears. It has the ability to add oil without taking off the the cover. Looks like one nice piece of equipment. Now, the stud kit and solid space, not sure about that. Geeze, things just keep getting piled on. Tis the life I suppose.

Yes, I'm getting a reinforced cover just as you suggested in my question to you about 4.10 gears. It has the ability to add oil without taking off the the cover. Looks like one nice piece of equipment. Now, the stud kit and solid space, not sure about that. Geeze, things just keep getting piled on. Tis the life I suppose.

The solid spacer and the stud kit are relatively cheap and pretty much sums it up for extras after the diff and axles.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    The solid spacer and the stud kit are relatively cheap and pretty much sums it up for extras after the diff and axles.

Yeah, I realize that now. Got them ordered too.

Eaton Detroit Trutrac + + +

I strongly disagree with a few suggestions on here:

1) the Eaton Detroit Trutrac is what you want - forget about any differentials with clutches (unless you want to replace the clutches on a regular basis).

I have been driving my MM for many years with a Detroit locker. It took a while to get used to it, but I have not had any problem with it - some minor noise issues and occasional clanging. People who hear it think it is breaking or coming apart. It has never "hopped around" and it does not "chirp and hop on turns" - that's what happens with a spool!

I probably should have gone with the Trutrac, but I wanted the strongest differential available - the people at Eaton will recommend the Trutrac.

2) a solid spacer makes replacing the pinion seal a simple R&R of the flange, without affecting the pinion preload

3) 31 spline shafts are a minimum for performance use - 28 spline are not even to be considered. Ford went with 31 spline shafts with the Panther platform from 2005 and up

4) studs for the main caps and an aluminum cover with pre-load bolts can only help - get them

5) 4.10 gears are the best for what you want

6) C-clip eliminators are for racing only - not for street driving with a daily driver - if you want a safer way to go, have the axle ends replaced with 9" ends (and custom axle shafts) -- 9" Ford axle tube housing ends - the big bearing "New Style Torino ends" (3.150" o.d.)

Moser has a nice "Hobby Stock" 33 spline package (and probably Strange does too)
    re:

http://www.moserengineering.com/hobb...e-package.item
    Last edited by GreekGod; 05-22-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: additional info
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information