Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MM Compatible ODB II Scan Tool?

MM Compatible ODB II Scan Tool?

Follow-up; took it to my Ford guy who used his kick ass Snap On scanner and couldn’t connect to the ABS module either. He checked all the power connections / leads on the ABS and they’re all good. No fuse or relay issue, so it looks like the ABS just died.

His price from Ford is an unbelievable $706 so I’ll be looking to get it repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Yes? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    It’s a scanner; all ABS scanning / code read / diagnostic functions for 2003 and 2004 MM’s with and without TC.

Is that a yes?

=
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post

Is that a yes?

=

LOL! Passive / aggressive much?

1. As stated, it’s an ODB II scan tool. A tool that can do an ABS powered brake bleed would not be categorized as an ODB II scan tool.

2. If you know of a bi-directional tool that will force an ABS module brake bleed for less than 4 or 5 times more, let me know. As I said, this one is less than $200.

3. “All ABS scanning / code read / diagnostic functions” seems clear. That statement doesn’t imply a “powered brake bleed” capability to me, but I can see how someone trying to make a point that the statement was too far-reaching might intentionally misinterpret it that way. Please interpret as you like.

Since you’ve expressed an interest, and are still asking about the scan tool three weeks after the updated post, here are the results of a 30-second Google search that will answer all your questions about the features and capabilities of the Actron CP9680:

https://topscantool.com/actron-cp968...s-reviews.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0111...6dL&ref=plSrch

https://actron.com/content/autoscann...irbag-coverage

Glad I could help.

FYI, for those really interested, the Actron 9680 seems like a better and more robust tool than the Innova 3100j. The ABS connectivity issue I’m having is with the module, not the scanner. I linked to their website and it took about 40 minutes to download an updated SW package with ABS diagnostic coverage for even more vehicles, and their support was great.

The only “negatives” compared to the Innova is that the power cord is fixed rather than detachable, and it doesn’t come with a USB download cable, but I have a pile of those. Also, neither comes with a case at this price range, but that’s easily fixed with a small tool bag.

Last edited by Svashtar; 11-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

WTH???

LOL! Passive / aggressive much?

1. As stated, it’s an ODB II scan tool. A tool that can do an ABS powered brake bleed would not be categorized as an ODB II scan tool.

2. If you know of a bi-directional tool that will force an ABS module brake bleed for less than 4 or 5 times more, let me know. As I said, this one is less than $200.

3. “All ABS scanning / code read / diagnostic functions” seems clear. That statement doesn’t imply a “powered brake bleed” capability to me, but I can see how someone trying to make a point that the statement was too far-reaching might intentionally misinterpret it that way. Please interpret as you like.

Glad I could help.

Well, thanks for the quick response

I take your "LOL! Passive / aggressive much?" as an insult, in spite of the "LOL"

re:

Passive-aggressiveness, as the word indicates, is a tendency to engage in indirect expression of hostility through acts such as subtle insults, sullen behavior, stubbornness, or a deliberate failure to accomplish required tasks.

=

My question was sincere. I am not an accomplished auto mechanic when it comes to understanding ECM's and technical terminology of their functions - I started working on Ford vehicles in 1967 (a 1957 Ford 2 door wagon, and a 1960 Lincoln Continental). I worked at a Ford dealer from 1969 to 1976, and have worked on and owned a few Ford built vehicles since 1967. Fuel injection and ECM's are still very new to me.

The bi-directional ABS tool in Ford's shop manual is just that to me - an ABS tool. I thank you for your explanation - I did not "intentionally misinterpret" anything

I just finished talking to "John" at OEMTools.com. They now sell an updated "New Generation Star Tester", made by Hickok Corporation (they made the OEM Ford NGS "scan tool" [their words]). It is called an NGS Mach III, covers 1984<2013 Fords, sells for about $2,000, and John said it will do an ABS brake bleed

link:
    http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/ford.html

sent from my HP desktop with Windows 10 Pro

=
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Well, thanks for the quick response

I take your "LOL! Passive / aggressive much?" as an insult, in spite of the "LOL"

re:

Passive-aggressiveness, as the word indicates, is a tendency to engage in indirect expression of hostility through acts such as subtle insults, sullen behavior, stubbornness, or a deliberate failure to accomplish required tasks.

=

My question was sincere. I am not an accomplished auto mechanic when it comes to understanding ECM's and technical terminology of their functions - I started working on Ford vehicles in 1967 (a 1957 Ford 2 door wagon, and a 1960 Lincoln Continental). I worked at a Ford dealer from 1969 to 1976, and have worked on and owned a few Ford built vehicles since 1967. Fuel injection and ECM's are still very new to me.

The bi-directional ABS tool in Ford's shop manual is just that to me - an ABS tool. I thank you for your explanation - I did not "intentionally misinterpret" anything

I just finished talking to "John" at OEMTools.com. They now sell an updated "New Generation Star Tester", made by Hickok Corporation (they made the OEM Ford NGS "scan tool" [their words]). It is called an NGS Mach III, covers 1984<2013 Fords, sells for about $2,000, and John said it will do an ABS brake bleed

link:

http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/ford.html

sent from my HP desktop with Windows 10 Pro

=

I’ll take you at your word. The way I read it, you knew the answer to the original question when you asked it, because you italicized my statement that it handled “all” ABS scanning / diagnostics, and you knew it was a $180 tool. If that wasn’t the case, and the question was sincere, then my apologies for misunderstanding and making an incorrect assumption,

As for the NGS tool, I’m not sure how that pertains to our discussion. Obviously professional tools costing $1K and over can do the function you asked about, but they aren’t marketed as ODB II scan tools costing less than $200.

Finally, I didn’t intend the “passive / aggressive” to be an insult, but rather as what I perceived to be an accurate assessment of two of your posts. Again, my apologies if I misread that. (One of the many problems with non-verbal communication...!)

I’m sending my ABS circuit board out for repair, and hopefully that will fix the problem with the light, as everything else checks out. If I ever need the ABS unit bled, I’ll take it to my mechanic. He told me he has a Snap-On tool that could do that job, and a lot more, God knows what he paid for it.

Hmmmmm

I’ll take you at your word. The way I read it, you knew the answer to the original question when you asked it, because you italicized my statement that it handled “all” ABS scanning / diagnostics, and you knew it was a $180 tool. If that wasn’t the case, and the question was sincere, then my apologies for misunderstanding and making an incorrect assumption,

As for the NGS tool, I’m not sure how that pertains to our discussion. Obviously professional tools costing $1K and over can do the function you asked about, but they aren’t marketed as ODB II scan tools costing less than $200.

Finally, I didn’t intend the “passive / aggressive” to be an insult, but rather as what I perceived to be an accurate assessment of two of your posts. Again, my apologies if I misread that. (One of the many problems with non-verbal communication...!)

I’m sending my ABS circuit board out for repair, and hopefully that will fix the problem with the light, as everything else checks out. If I ever need the ABS unit bled, I’ll take it to my mechanic. He told me he has a Snap-On tool that could do that job, and a lot more, God knows what he paid for it.
    I thank you for taking me at my word - it seems someone could make a dedicated Ford ABS brake bleeding tool for something less than $1K or $2K, and more like the $27 OBD II scanner that Menards sells

1) Two pages with 50 posts gets very confusing - I try to keep my questions simple, focused, and direct. I find that usually makes for a simple answer, a "yes" or "no" (when appropriate). I tend to use italics to "focus" on a question, and consider that brake bleeding should be included with a $200 to $300+ advanced "ABS scanning / diagnostics" tool, which is what the OEM Ford NGS "scan tool" is called (by many sources).

2) In your very first (#1) post, you recalled how a tech from Innova misled you on their 3100j, after you "did a bunch of research" prior to your purchase. By #6 you mentioned that most scanners say they do, but actually don’t do what they claim

3) In #20, "MyBlackBeasts" asked: "Any of these samples cycle the ABS for bleeding or is that only done with the Ford tool?" -- In #21, it appears you told him of a $180 tool that did. But in #22 you thought he had to go to the dealer for that. In #24 "larryo340" said: "This one will not perform the ABS bleed", without indicating which "one" he was referring to.

4) In #8, "Comin' In Hot" told you it was the module, but it took you over 4 weeks to have your Ford man confirm it was bad.

5) I mentioned the NGS Mach II because I thought it had only recently become available - but I now see that Amazon shows it available since 2007, and are available (new) for $1600 to $2000.

6) It often takes me a month to get back on this MM site - I have been trying to find a way to bleed my ABS for over a year

=

ΓρεεκΓοδ

I have been trying to find a way to bleed my ABS for over a year
    Try driving the car a smashing the brakes multiple times to get the ABS to cycle.

Over a year? Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Try driving the car a smashing the brakes multiple times to get the ABS to cycle.

I was told this as well, a good way to get the ABS to kick in. After I got my new brakes on and had to bed the pads, after I went through the bedding routine I powered up and really laid into them a few times, but no luck.

It cost a 1/2 hour of labor to get the mechanic to check all the fuses, relays and power points to the ABS and confirm they’re good, so I’m down to getting the module itself rebuilt.

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post

Cycling the ABS is an excellent suggestion - and we will have ice on the roads here soon - right now I am driving my 2009 CVPI

I won't be going to my Ford dealer for any service - I can usually find a work-around for any problem I have. Curless Auto Repair is local to me, and Chris would be my go-to garage man if needed

I have bled with a Mity-Vac, a good compressed air vacuum tool, gravity bled, and done a two-man 4 corner bleed so maybe it is the ABS. It just doesn't "seem" the ABS would give me a soft pedal, or would it (I have never had the ABS dash light come on)?

=

ΓρεεκΓοδ

I’m no expert but there are other reasons for a soft pedal other than the ABS. If you don’t have an ABS or brake light on, and if you are able to switch in TC (assuming you have it), then I would guess your ABS is fine.

My pedal is still a little soft when I continuously hold the pedal down, although the car stops fine. It feels like it has since the car was new. I figured that would improve when I install SS brake lines and possibly big brakes next year. We’ll see.

I’m sending my ABS circuit board out for repair, and hopefully that will fix the problem with the light, as everything else checks out.
    Norm, please let us know what company you used and how it works out, good or bad.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thanks for starting this thread. Ive been driving with my abs and brake dash lights on for awhile, even bought one of the Centech scanners from Harbor Freight (and returned it when it didn't conect to the ABS). After reading the thread, I removed the module and sent it in to Module Repair Pro for repair. Got it back in a week, reinstalled, problem solved. Thank you Comin' in Hot for the referral.

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I guarantee it's not the scan tool. I had the same issue. I did some research and found out it is pretty common for the abs electronics module to fail. You could send just electronic module out to be repaired, it is like $100. Module Repair Pro did mine, I think it does matter if it's a 2003 or 2004 so go through the their website and find yours.

http://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com/...-ABS-0160c.htm
    2003 300B
    VIN: 677166, #6738 of 7839
    built: 2/13/03
    wrty start: 5/28/03
    69,810 miles @ adoption from Marauder57 02/21/07
    84,197 on 02/21/08
    95,776 on 02/21/09
    109,301 on 02/21/10
    121,447 on 02/21/11
    125,925 on 02/26/12
    130,375 on 01/01/13
    134,831 on 2/4/14
    149,441 on 2/24/18
    Dark Blue Pearl, #128 of 327

Inherited mods: 4.10's, 180 'stat, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Ceramic-coated Cobra Manifolds, DR's X-Pipe kit w/hi-flow cats, KVR X-Drilled Brake Rotors (rear), PI 3000 TC, DR's Tranny Upgrade 1.5, DR's Rear Engine Cooling Mod, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Zack-Mack Rear U&L Control Arms.

My mods: aluminum lower grill screen, tranny cooler, DR's NoIC Novi SL 1200 S/C kit self-installed 8/11-8/14/08, Zack's tranny tune, dyno tuned by Justin Starkey @ VMP Tuning: 447 RWHP/386 RWTQ. DDM 5000k HIDs, KB BAP w/upgraded wiring, RacerX modded FPDM, front springs cut 1.25 coils

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Norm, please let us know what company you used and how it works out, good or bad.

Will do Bob, I was going to use the same site as referred to in the previous post by Paul, originally recommended by Comin’ in Hot. $99 instead of $700+ works for me, and I believe they guarantee the repair forever.

No TC

I’m no expert but there are other reasons for a soft pedal other than the ABS. If you don’t have an ABS or brake light on, and if you are able to switch in TC (assuming you have it), then I would guess your ABS is fine.

My pedal is still a little soft when I continuously hold the pedal down, although the car stops fine. It feels like it has since the car was new. I figured that would improve when I install SS brake lines and possibly big brakes next year. We’ll see.
    Thanks - my ABS has always worked well (and often on snow and ice in my winter driving) - I don't have TC

=

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Thanks - my ABS has always worked well (and often on snow and ice in my winter driving) - I don't have TC

=
    Your soft pedal maybe due to the age of the rubber brake hoses. Over time they will start to break down and may swell under pressure. A lot of soft pedal issues have been fixed by installing stainless steel brake hoses.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information