Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MM Compatible ODB II Scan Tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Thanks very much, but it could be that the ABS module is fine, and that the ABS and brake lights are on due to a wheel sensor, correct? So replacing the ABS module wouldn’t solve the issue in that case.

I’d obviously need to know the module was bad before replacing it. The ABS light flickered on and off for several weeks before deciding to stay on permanently a few months ago.

Sorry, just reread your first sentence. You think that because the scan tool can’t connect, that proves that the ABS module is bad? I don’t know, I read a ton of reviews that show this reader is hit or miss on its ability to connect to ABS systems, and Fords and cars closest to 1996 are especially problematic. Innova oversells it’s ability in those areas. I bought it only after their tech assured me it would diagnose my issue. There seems to be a direct correlation between how much you spend and how well they work with ABS systems.

What you say makes sense, but I don’t see how you can guarantee it’s not just a problem with the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The issue I had was the abs light was on, I tried three scanners including expensive snap-on scanners and all could not connect. If this turns out to be your issue, it's the module. If you are able to connect, i'm sure I'll tell you what's wrong.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    The issue I had was the abs light was on, I tried three scanners including expensive snap-on scanners and all could not connect. If this turns out to be your issue, it's the module. If you are able to connect, i'm sure I'll tell you what's wrong.

Ok, thanks, I wouldn’t have even considered the possibility offhand, so I’m glad you chimed in. I have to eliminate the variable of this one scanner, as I’ve read it can have ABS connectivity issues. If it does it again with another brand, then I’ll be back posting to learn how to pull the module. Appreciate it.

2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Thanks Bob, appreciate the reference. Online you see either cheap $19.95 ones, or others that promise the moon, so it’s hard to tell.

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9680...=Actron+CP9580

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

When the Ford IDS at work is already in use we use this one...it will read ABS and airbag codes, and it works pretty well. The price is very reasonable at under a $100 with what you’re getting with this scanner. It’s scans imports as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-AL619...-/251629758350

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    When the Ford IDS at work is already in use we use this one...it will read ABS and airbag codes, and it works pretty well. The price is very reasonable at under a $100 with what you’re getting with this scanner. It’s scans imports as well.

Any of these samples cycle the ABS for bleeding or is that only done with the Ford tool?

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post

Yes, that’s the one for $180 I mentioned in post #15. It’s the upgrade / replacement to the 9580 Bob recommended.

The question is do I look for an old 9580 that handles cars up to 2010, or pay $70 more and get one that will also handle newer cars.

MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Any of these samples cycle the ABS for bleeding or is that only done with the Ford tool?

None that I’ve seen from any mfr have that capability. Pretty sure you have to go to the dealer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post

Cool, thanks Larry.

This one will not perform the ABS bleed.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Norm, I also have the Actron CP9580. I bought it specifically to diagnose an ABS issue with Mary's car. Unfortunately, since it's now discontinued, Actron no longer provides firmware updates, but it does everything I need it to, including I/M monitor status and state OBDII readiness checks, which I figure might be important to you, being in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia).
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I guarantee it's not the scan tool. I had the same issue. I did some research and found out it is pretty common for the abs electronics module to fail. You could send just electronic module out to be repaired, it is like $100. Module Repair Pro did mine, I think it does matter if it's a 2003 or 2004 so go through the their website and find yours.

http://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com/...-ABS-0160c.htm
    THIS, and that is cheap. Try to find an 04 module that works. And you are correct there is a different because of TC. $100 is cheap for the rebuild compared to $100 + for used with no confirmation the module works or the one NOS one I've seen for $495
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Norm, I also have the Actron CP9580. I bought it specifically to diagnose an ABS issue with Mary's car. Unfortunately, since it's now discontinued, Actron no longer provides firmware updates, but it does everything I need it to, including I/M monitor status and state OBDII readiness checks, which I figure might be important to you, being in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia).

From what I understand Bob, it should accept the newest firmware for the CP9580A, but not the other way around.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post

Thanks very much, I’m going to call them today to ask about both models. What I read is that you need to hookup the 9580a to a computer the first time (nothing newer than windows 7) and download their latest patch, then you’re good to go.

You’re right about needing that capability in the PRK. Right now I rely on my Scangauge II to tell me if the system is ready, but it doesn’t give any info beyond that.

FYI, with the stock tune the car would always be “ready” with all systems checks after a few days / driving cycles. With the DR tune it was never ready, for years, so something was keeping it from completing. So every other year I have to put the carb compliant airbox back on, reset the tune to factory, and drive it for at least a week for it to pass smog.

As people have pointed out that confuses the car because of the 4:10’s, but it can’t be helped.

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by stevengerard View Post
    THIS, and that is cheap. Try to find an 04 module that works. And you are correct there is a different because of TC. $100 is cheap for the rebuild compared to $100 + for used with no confirmation the module works or the one NOS one I've seen for $495

I have TC on my ‘03, which of course stopped working when the ABS light came on. Hope it doesn’t come to replacing the damned thing.

This is the scanner I use majority of the time for 95% of the stuff that comes into my shop..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information