Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MM Compatible ODB II Scan Tool?

Follow up: Just got off the phone with Actron. Despite being shown on their web site at a close out price, they no longer sell the 9580A. The new equivalent is that 9680, supposed MSRP of $331, for $180 on Amazon. They recommend a firmware update when you get it, and insist it will handle all ABS for the MM with and without TC. (No reason to doubt them considering the posts here from Bob and RF, just wanted to be sure the new one had the same capability.)

If this one can’t read it then I know I have a bad ABS and will be back here asking you guys how to find it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

HUH???

Quote Originally Posted by vicateurlilss View Post

This is the scanner I use majority of the time for 95% of the stuff that comes into my shop..

Can you give me some info on the scanner you use ^^^ ???

Manufacturer, brand name, model number??? (I see it is a "CRP129"?)

=
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

MM Compatible ODB II Scan Tool?

I ordered the above Actron 9680 from etooldirect on Amazon the other day. $167, free shipping, no tax, so saved $30 over buying it from Amazon direct.

Downside, unlike Amazon they charge 10% restocking fee if you want to return it for any reason other than it being busted. I have no knowledge of the seller, so am trusting it’s the real deal and not a Chinese ripoff clone, and that it will read the ABS code just like Bob’s older 9580 Model did.

If like the Innova it can’t connect, then I’ll have to assume the ABS module is bad.

MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

So, got the new Actron 9680 today, hooked it up and it gave me “no codes” on SRS, ODB II / EODB, and ECM. No mention of ABS and only flashed “communicating with ABS” for a fraction of a second, then the report only mentions the above three areas, not ABS.

The Actron tech guy tells me to hook up the unit to a computer and get the latest updates. I’ll do that, but by default this should have everything the 9580 you guys have, and those talk to your ABS modules.

I think my ABS is bad. Maybe a ground wire or something?

Guess I’ll take it to my mechanic and see if his kick-ass scanner can confirm, then see about R&R the ABS module.

Thanks for any info on how to find and remove it. I know someone here posted a link for repair so I’ll look for that.

Thanks for any info.

Does it still ask if you want to retrieve all codes including ABS after you type in the vehicle? I always thought it was weird having to back up a page just to read the codes.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

find a used Ford NGS on ebay for 300.00 it will do more than you never need yes its 300.00 but it will hold its value

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Does it still ask if you want to retrieve all codes including ABS after you type in the vehicle? I always thought it was weird having to back up a page just to read the codes.

No, after I gave it the vehicle info it launched into the routine, had me turn the key off, wait 10 seconds then turn the key on. It went through everything then gave me status on just those 3 areas.
    After if I want I can go to a menu and retrieve any codes, but just get the same “no codes” report again.
    But maybe the functionality is like you say if it does find any codes, not sure. (?)
    By definition it should include ABS in the report categories, and because it doesn’t is why I think there’s a problem with the module itself.

Quote Originally Posted by warmpancakes View Post
    find a used Ford NGS on ebay for 300.00 it will do more than you never need yes its 300.00 but it will hold its value

No thanks; I have a good scan tool now that I’ve invested close to $200 in, that has confirmed function on our cars by two senior members of this forum. Unless it starts to smoke or something I’m keeping it.

If it’s not reading the ABS module on my car, and not even reporting on the ABS category, then the problem isn’t with the scanner.

I’ll download their latest software version tonight in any case, but doubt that’s it.

Last edited by Svashtar; 11-02-2017 at 03:41 PM.

FORD "NGS"

Quote Originally Posted by warmpancakes View Post
    link:
    http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/ford.html

-- Ford's NGS is replaced by the IDS tool --

=

Ford IDS with Dell Laptop and Custom Case

$5,575.00

=
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

If I remember correctly when I did my ABS module:

1. Remove airbox
    2. Unplug electrical connector(s) to ABS module.
    3. Remove the six torx screws.
    4. Gently pull off the electronic module and ship it off.

You could reassemble the airbox and drive the car. If you do you just need to cover the exposed side of the ABS unit.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

You could unplug one of the front wheel sensors easily enough just to see if it pops up?

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    If I remember correctly when I did my ABS module:

1. Remove airbox
    2. Unplug electrical connector(s) to ABS module.
    3. Remove the six torx screws.
    4. Gently pull off the electronic module and ship it off.

You could reassemble the airbox and drive the car. If you do you just need to cover the exposed side of the ABS unit.

This is very helpful, thank you. I’ve probably been looking right at it and not knowing what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    You could unplug one of the front wheel sensors easily enough just to see if it pops up?

I’m sorry Bob, clueless here: So, if it pops up that means the ABS is working?
    But if it was a bad wheel sensor which caused the ABS light to come on in the first place, then I wouldn’t expect it to activate. Might have to check a couple I guess.

I can try that, thanks. I don’t see how it could not be the ABS module if you and others are able to use the 9580 to scan ABS on your MM’s. The 9680 is the same tool with additional ABS support.

Bad ABS or not, I was hoping the scanner would still give me a status on the module.

Took me 40 minutes to download the newest software last night; Actron has some neat tools. I’m going to try it again tonight with the latest and greatest version and see if it can connect.

Thanks for the good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Follow up: Just got off the phone with Actron ... they no longer sell the 9580A. The new equivalent is ... 9680 ... They ... insist it will handle all ABS for the MM with and without TC. (No reason to doubt them considering the posts here from Bob and RF, just wanted to be sure the new one had the same capability.) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will "handle" ALL ABS?

What about an ABS powered brake bleed?

=

Sent from my HP desktop with Windows 10!

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod View Post
    Will "handle" ALL ABS?

What about an ABS powered brake bleed?

=

Sent from my HP desktop with Windows 10!

It’s a scanner; all ABS scanning / code read / diagnostic functions for 2003 and 2004 MM’s with and without TC.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information