Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 31 Splines Question

31 Splines Question

So I am having my rear end upgraded. Some issues with the car point to the need of a new posi unit. Since I am considering going with a supercharger some time down the road, the garage that I am using suggested making my rear end "bulletproof" as he put it. Meaning that it will accommodate the added power of the supercharger and be upgradeable in the future, should I choose to do so. Anyway, we were discussing a 31 spline upgrade vs the stock 28 spline. He was saying that it isn't completely necessary to go up to the 31 splines so I chose to stick with a Detroit locker diff for a 28 spline to keep the cost down. He is also doing a reinforced cover with the upgrade bolt kit and c clip eliminators.

So my question is, are 31 splines completely necessary? If you feel they are, what are the reasons? Is the Detroit locker a good choice. I want to be able to have good turning capabilities as this is my daily driver but have the added benefit of locking the tires for the torque as I am wanting to do some weekend racing with the local circuits, in the future. Just want to make sure I made the right choice. The guy at the garage assured me the 28 splines are very capable and it was refreshing not to have someone try and push a more expensive product on me. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Blog Entries
    Are you going to Drag Race with slicks or drag radials?

Are you keeping the stock torque converter?

What RWHP&TQ are you anticipating?
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    The Axle package your looking to build is going to be nothing short of a nightmare for DD use , a Detroit locker is the worst choice for a DD (other than a spool) C clip eliminators are not meant for street use and leak consistently , all you need if you want a strong 8.8 are 31 spline axles an Auburn pro series diff and whatever gearing your going to run , don't overthink it with a Bunch of unneeded parts.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    The Axle package your looking to build is going to be nothing short of a nightmare for DD use , a Detroit locker is the worst choice for a DD (other than a spool) C clip eliminators are not meant for street use and leak consistently , all you need if you want a strong 8.8 are 31 spline axles an Auburn pro series diff and whatever gearing your going to run , don't overthink it with a Bunch of unneeded parts.

Said by a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    Are you going to Drag Race with slicks or drag radials?

Are you keeping the stock torque converter?

What RWHP&TQ are you anticipating?

I will be keeping street tires. I know drag radials would be best, but bear in mind I am not wanting to go full on race mode with this car.

My anticipation for the RWHP would be in the mid 500s. He says he could get me to the mid 600s but I like to remain conservative.

I'm not sure about the torque converter at the moment.

you will need a built motor and a large centri or a twin screw to get to mid 500rwhp. stock motor generally can handle 425 range. A true Detroit locker will chirp and hop on turns
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post

I think the reason he showed me the Detroit locker was because I specifically told him I wanted a happy medium between the stock diff and a spool. Seems Detroit locker fits the bill. But from what I am seeing you all say, that may not be a good choice. Does the Auburn pro series offer good torque management like the locker is known for? I've seen many people say they love their locker for daily driving, then there are others saying they don't. Seems the one that love the locker are on 4wd Jeeps and what not. Perhaps that is the difference?

Yeah, I am reading about how the c clip eliminators leak. Some say they haven't had issues, some say they do. I will talk to him about it. I know he was saying that it offers more safety so the c clip "nub" doesn't wear down and the axle fall off from the extra torque. But I don't want the leaking issues either as this is my DD. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Well here are my thoughts. If you are replacing the diff you might as well upgrade the axles too. They aren't that expensive. Especially if you want 600 hp someday. And I would not go with the Detroit Locker if you are planning on driving thru twisties. Instead go with the Detroit Tru Trac. That is a slick diff and no clutches to wear out.
    ~Chris

I ran for several years pushing 480HP to the wheels on a stock block stock rear end. I finally broke the carrier so I upgraded to a Mustang carrier and 31 spline axles. I looked at it this way if they are going to be working on the rear end I am going to upgrade everything. If you cannot afford to upgrade everything why not drive it as is until you need to fix it? Just my two cents.
    2004 DTR Marauder, #423 of 9806
    2004 SB Marauder, SOLD
    2003 Black Marauder, #3029 of 7093
    2003 Black Supercharged Marauder, #1940 of 7093
    2003 DBP Marauder, #225 of 328, SOLD
    2007 Black Shelby GT Terlingua
    2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 5.0
    2018 Platinum White King Ranch F150 FX4

So other than being capable of handling the more horsepower, does 31 spline offer any other benefits?

No they are just more capable of handling the horsepower.
    2004 DTR Marauder, #423 of 9806
    2004 SB Marauder, SOLD
    2003 Black Marauder, #3029 of 7093
    2003 Black Supercharged Marauder, #1940 of 7093
    2003 DBP Marauder, #225 of 328, SOLD
    2007 Black Shelby GT Terlingua
    2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 5.0
    2018 Platinum White King Ranch F150 FX4

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphonzus View Post
    I ran for several years pushing 480HP to the wheels on a stock block stock rear end. I finally broke the carrier so I upgraded to a Mustang carrier and 31 spline axles. I looked at it this way if they are going to be working on the rear end I am going to upgrade everything. If you cannot afford to upgrade everything why not drive it as is until you need to fix it? Just my two cents.

Yeah good point. The axles aren't that much more... maybe a couple hundred. I posi for a 31 spline though is also more. But I agree, why not do everything. I just want to make sure I'm not going to a 31 spline needlessly. That's my concern. I also want to make sure I get the best diff for my needs. I want the extra grip on the road, but I also am tired of sliding out of control when I turn... wet roads make it even worse. That's why I looked into this to begin with now, rather than later. I am hearing a whine/grind sound when I turn and I am skidding a lot when I turn and barely hit the gas. What's funny is I am already driving like I would have to with a locker. I already have to take turns rather slow due to the slipping. Anyway, I am talking with him about redoing my order.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    you will need a built motor and a large centri or a twin screw to get to mid 500rwhp. stock motor generally can handle 425 range. A true Detroit locker will chirp and hop on turns
    Will the Auburn unit not chirp and hop on turns?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowndex View Post
    Will the Auburn unit not chirp and hop on turns?
    no, it is a limited slip

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

if you hear noise then possible axle bearing going bad and your clutches in trac lok could be worn, so its good you are going thru rear and looking at upgrades

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information